• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Trying to box (1 Viewer)

sgdirtbag

RedCents
241¢
I may have found your stupid question.

So, I recently returned and thinking about trying to to 3 box, but I can only afford 1 gold account, and my main is a rogue. So, my situation right now is:
1 gold account on live server, with all expansions.
1 Silver account 25/28 expansions (so limited to an app 5 merc)
1 F2P account (limited to app 2 currently, but plan on getting that to app 5)

I cannot afford 3 active accounts. So, even if I get the current expansions on the other two accounts, I know I cannot push end content. But what I am wondering is if I want to do previous expansion content what would the best group/app set up be using the rogue as the main? I know that I will be limited because I don't have at least two paid accounts. But that isn't currently possible for me at the moment. But I know activating one of the accounts for 1 month can help fix the AA limit problem because I can autogrant AAs up to 105. But right now I just cannot do three paid accounts.

My thoughts were
Rogue with J5 tank merc
Druid or Shaman on the silver account with a healer App5 merc
and Bard with either a melee or caster dps app 2 right now and app5 after my first purchase.

Thank you in advance for and advice and tips!

using rog as main (gold) you would prolly need a Mage for pet tank(with the earring u can wear, mage pet will out tank merc pretty easily) then either shm(def a great idea) or brd on 3rd account.

now assuming the Rog has all Tank Merc AA then u could do Rog/Tank merc, Shm/dps merc, Brd/dps merc(shm using either mq2shm or a good ini can solo heal pretty well 75+)
would want to krono 1 one month and the other another month if possible to get the aa(shm being more important for heal aa and stuff like Canni)

I have a side group that is 2 mages (1 gold other silver) 2 necros(both silver) 1 shm(silver) and 1 bard(silver) that is pretty good and is fun to play. I krono them every so often to get aa on them, but i dont normally play them untill im getting board with my primary 3 groups

I just ASSumed the rogue was on Gold and being that it's his main he would want to keep it in the mix. The reason I ask about classes/levels is that it might be more beneficial to start raw with 6 FTP accounts and filter 2-3 out when they catch up to the three he currently has. Without introducing a tank into the mix I think the rogue will be of little use post 95? I do not play a rogue and it's very likely I am incorrect on the level before a tank is required.

Rogues are very much not a tank, and using them as such diminishes their efficiency greatly. Failing to put a rogue behind a mob would be a travesty.

Tank, Healer, Rog if three is your limit. You'll be missing CC, but you'll have a real tank, and a real healer. But if you're going FTP and the computer you're using can take the beating, I'd go ahead and fill in the rest of the group.

If you use a Clr/Shm they really don't need anything more than FTP for them to be viable if you at least splurg and autogrant appropriately.
With CC - Brd/Enc you could get away as FTP.
While not ideal, FTP DPS toons is an option.

Where you'd lose is not doing gold on a tank, but even a FTP tank is better than a merc.
The AA's, AC, Augs, etc all add up. The tank is the pinnacle and without it everyone falls.

Rogue right now is 107, working on getting to 120, but my alts are not within range at the moment, even of the 107. I plan on figure out how to level them separately. I might use another one of my toons on the paid account to box with them until they are at 90. Right now I am trying to figure out the best set up so I know where to focus my efforts correctly before I waste time.

What level is your rogue? What do you currently have on your Silver account, classes and levels?
Here is everything that I currently have:

Gold Account (13/13)
107 Rogue with J5 Mercs x2 (haven't paid for more)
87 Zerker (no J5 yet, was my main and decided on rogue)
60 Mage
59 Monk
34 Beast
26 Skn
26 Warrior
46 Necro
35 Wizard
18 Ranger
4 Pally
5 Bard (bazaar bot really, once I start selling)

Another SK that I rerolled to the 26 SK. Will be deleted once I transfer any gear off him to the lower level SK.

Silver Account (3/4)
52 Druid
41 Shaman
3 mage (I was gonna try 3 boxing the mage)
- Empty Slot

F2P Account (not silver YET)
38 Bard
3 Sk

I intend on having a few of the classes doubled up but on different accounts, for situational use. Example, the SK on the F2P account. If the recommendation is that I have an actual tank, and just autoattack on with the rogue, then it is nice to have a tank on another account. I know the tank is going to be limited to Rk 1 spells, no prestige items, etc.

I also know that, I would not be able to handle CoV tasks assuming I buy the expansion two more times. But, just trying to figure out how to box first, and then if I have the money I will start getting more gold subs.

Honestly, I would create a few more FTP accounts. Get them to the appropriate level to play wtih your 38 bard, 41 shaman. That's 1/3 of a good balanced group. Choose one off of your gold account just to add to your crew until you are able to swap in your rogue. Using your 60 mage you can keep your new guys buffed with DS and leveling to 40 will happen in no time. When you are able to swap your rogue in, maybe you will be inclined to let that go to an unpaid account and go gold on your tank account :)

Honestly, I would create a few more FTP accounts. Get them to the appropriate level to play wtih your 38 bard, 41 shaman. That's 1/3 of a good balanced group. Choose one off of your gold account just to add to your crew until you are able to swap in your rogue. Using your 60 mage you can keep your new guys buffed with DS and leveling to 40 will happen in no time. When you are able to swap your rogue in, maybe you will be inclined to let that go to an unpaid account and go gold on your tank account :)
My intent is to raid on my rogue. Plus it is my first account, so it has a lot nostalgia for me (19+ years old).

That was one of my thoughts. Like once I get rogue to 120, and supporting raids, maybe use a different set. I doubt I am gonna be able to handle 6 boxing, I dont even have the "materials" to easily box yet. I do have a couple of friends I could probably ask them for their accounts. Don't know if they have toons on the server I am playing. My PC is pretty old so 6 boxing on it would be difficult.

If you can play one, you can box as many as your comp can handle. Using framelimiter, you might be surprised what your comp is capable of. No need to ask your friends for access to their accounts when you can make as many free accounts as you heart desires :toot:
Well, the one thing that is beneficial is my friends accounts would already be silver.. lol.. Also, someone told me the other day in game, that you can register 3 accounts (logins) to 1 email. Is that true?

I have 6 on one email.
i have 18 on one 6 on one and 6 on one. It cant be done all together. it flags then, and doesnt seem to *hurt*, but if you need CS support, have to ask from another char, cause cant be verified? (was the first bug).. but have 5 made on one day, 6th bugged, and now hes been glitchy with website login for a year.

Can do 6 right in a row on one email for sure so long as you verify said email, did a few days ago with email never EQd before. Otherwise it blocks around the 5th as happened last time I tried that but didn't verify.

That said, unless yer on FV, you can sub by running traders when youre not playing on gold account. Every account costs approx 100-117kpp per day buying ingame Kronos. Double that I'd guess on FV. Much much less on TLP. You can use offline mode too and not run your computer for the trader all night/day.

At least save up Kronos for autogrants the last 5 levels for each toon, but I would recommend only using casters/priests on silver due to augs and armor restrictions. You can keep all your aas when you unsub, but you have to backtrack to tier1 gear(sometimes from the previous expansion), very few augs, and rki spells/discs etc.

For a melee or tank, the loss of 2/3 your heroic stats due to crap slot5s, and a decent portion (10-15%) of the AC/hme from gear augs, and damage augs loss in ratios, then the addition drop of another 20-40k hme and it's accompanying ac to wear the highest nonprestige...it'd be pretty rough compared to caster/priest f2ps who mostly just get a little oomph from rkiis and POSSIBLY better focii(typically not from t1 to t3/tradeskill is there a focus upgrade, but 1 expac to the next there can be)

It is perfectly feasible to have 6 gold accounts buying Kronos for plat, without 24/7 gaming or AFKbotting or any number of things, you just gotta watch and play to the market. Collectibles from certain sets are worth 2-6mill a set right now, tradeskilled items even if you buy dropped components, will net you 100-400k profit each or more, you just have to read what's in demand but short supply, and farm/make it. I support 6-8 accts this way and I'm pretty good at procrastinating instead of grinding.

And don't give up after 48hrs. Sales sometimes are sporadic, and could make 0 for 2 days and 3mill a day for 2 days. I don't recommend the bazaar macro personally. Market stabilizes best if new sellers match competitors rather than undercutting them, because then they undercut you and on and on. When they see other sellers match their prices they often won't drop them (unless running bazmac, and even then you can probably talk to them...nicely).

Once you get the plat rolling you may want a dedicated bazacct, no expansion needed just a krono.

i have 18 on one 6 on one and 6 on one. It cant be done all together. it flags then, and doesnt seem to *hurt*, but if you need CS support, have to ask from another char, cause cant be verified? (was the first bug).. but have 5 made on one day, 6th bugged, and now hes been glitchy with website login for a year.
Wow you have 24 accounts?

I would concur with a few other statements, and would like to maybe clarify a few:

Definitely have at least 6 accounts. Even FTP real toons, at higher levels, become much better than even J5 mercs. Make 3 new FTP accounts (you can have many, many accounts on one email, I'm not sure what, if there is a limit, on how many you can have - personally, I have 14 accounts on one email), and level up the characters you want on them, until can group with the toons that you currently have.

Affording the krono to rotate thru and autogrant AA for your crew will not be an issue, once you get a full crew up and running. From like level 65 on, with a full crew, 200k per day just selling vendorables is pretty easy (DSH, FM, etc). Let alone TS components, etc. That's not even talking about doing tradeskills yourself, etc. Once get highest levels, getting just a single rare can net ya 5-15 krono.

You will want a tank (SK, IMO) for your rogue. You will want it to be gold. A tank gains A LOT by being able to wear the best available gear, augs, etc. But, it will not be a problem to keep your tank gold by buying krono for it, at higher levels. A mage pet can work, but, a real tank offers way, way more than a mage pet will. Will take hits much better, can actually hold AE agro on multiple mob pulls, have far more agro on single targets, heals themselves/group (if a knight) very well, etc. A healer spamming fast heals on your knight will spam additional LARGE group heals on your entire group, trigger additional lifetaps, etc. You just don't get that, and many other things, when using a pet tank.

Other than that, utilize whatever other classes you want to support your rogue. I would have to guess shaman, zerker, bard, beastlord?

Another 'pro tip' I have... keep at least 1 other toon that is out of group, helping :) Personally, I often have a cleric out of group spamming fast heals on the tank. It is absolutely CRAZY what a SK can pull and live through, when a cleric is spamming fast heals on em.

So, I recently returned and thinking about trying to to 3 box, but I can only afford 1 gold account, and my main is a rogue. So, my situation right now is:

I cannot afford 3 active accounts. So, even if I get the current expansions on the other two accounts, I know I cannot push end content. But what I am wondering is if I want to do previous expansion content what would the best group/app set up be using the rogue as the main? I know that I will be limited because I don't have at least two paid accounts. But that isn't currently possible for me at the moment. But I know activating one of the accounts for 1 month can help fix the AA limit problem because I can autogrant AAs up to 105. But right now I just cannot do three paid accounts.

My thoughts were
Rogue with J5 tank merc
and Bard with either a melee or caster dps app 2 right now and app5 after my first purchase.

Create 6 acct's pay gold for one make a warrior on the gold acct, box that warrior,shaman,necro,zerker, mage and cleric the world will be your playground. The reason for making warrior the gold acct is so he can use the prestige gear, Necro for when you need solo pulls and their great for named encounters, mage cause well their OP shaman cause well no one can buff better zerker cause OP dps and cleric cause well it just makes life easy.

I would concur with a few other statements, and would like to maybe clarify a few:

Definitely have at least 6 accounts. Even FTP real toons, at higher levels, become much better than even J5 mercs. Make 3 new FTP accounts (you can have many, many accounts on one email, I'm not sure what, if there is a limit, on how many you can have - personally, I have 14 accounts on one email), and level up the characters you want on them, until can group with the toons that you currently have.

Affording the krono to rotate thru and autogrant AA for your crew will not be an issue, once you get a full crew up and running. From like level 65 on, with a full crew, 200k per day just selling vendorables is pretty easy (DSH, FM, etc). Let alone TS components, etc. That's not even talking about doing tradeskills yourself, etc. Once get highest levels, getting just a single rare can net ya 5-15 krono.

You will want a tank (SK, IMO) for your rogue. You will want it to be gold. A tank gains A LOT by being able to wear the best available gear, augs, etc. But, it will not be a problem to keep your tank gold by buying krono for it, at higher levels. A mage pet can work, but, a real tank offers way, way more than a mage pet will. Will take hits much better, can actually hold AE agro on multiple mob pulls, have far more agro on single targets, heals themselves/group (if a knight) very well, etc. A healer spamming fast heals on your knight will spam additional LARGE group heals on your entire group, trigger additional lifetaps, etc. You just don't get that, and many other things, when using a pet tank.

Other than that, utilize whatever other classes you want to support your rogue. I would have to guess shaman, zerker, bard, beastlord?

Another 'pro tip' I have... keep at least 1 other toon that is out of group, helping :) Personally, I often have a cleric out of group spamming fast heals on the tank. It is absolutely CRAZY what a SK can pull and live through, when a cleric is spamming fast heals on em.
I can give it a shot, I still dont have the ability to get the additional things to multiple box, so mine would be essentially true boxing the painful way. Definitely into to have one of each of the classes. I just suck hard at healing, so need to figure that out. Maybe I could try the six accounts, but getting expansions for them would eventually be stupid expensive. You cannot DBC those right?

I also found out last night that even purchsing the newest expansion does not grant you the Dragon's Hoard if you didn't buy CoV.

I just ASSumed the rogue was on Gold and being that it's his main he would want to keep it in the mix. The reason I ask about classes/levels is that it might be more beneficial to start raw with 6 FTP accounts and filter 2-3 out when they catch up to the three he currently has. Without introducing a tank into the mix I think the rogue will be of little use post 95? I do not play a rogue and it's very likely I am incorrect on the level before a tank is required.
This would be a good idea, and I was trying it with 3 boxing alts. Actually I was using my 51 Druid to PL the bard.

My thoughts were
Rogue with J5 tank merc

Hey there, welcome back!

I am unsure how attached you are to live or if you've got a guild going ect. But, if you want to play and box more, but cannot afford it. I would suggest copying over too test server. You'll get all gold accounts, so no worries about paying. You can save up, and buy expansions on all your accounts, if you wish.

Just a suggestion to help you along.

Best of luck on your adventure!

Hey all thanks for a lot of good ideas. I think I do a mix of them and try some more FTP accounts, or something. I need to get my rogue to 120.
Hey there, welcome back!

I am unsure how attached you are to live or if you've got a guild going ect. But, if you want to play and box more, but cannot afford it. I would suggest copying over too test server. You'll get all gold accounts, so no worries about paying. You can save up, and buy expansions on all your accounts, if you wish.

Just a suggestion to help you along.

Best of luck on your adventure!
I am currently in an outstanding guild on my server with great people. One of the things I looked for. The other is quests to do that I can progress easily solo, but also have groups available. EQ is sorely... SORRRRRRELY missing in the quests that you can do solo, which is why I intended to try EQ2 first. But I keep getting pulled back into EQ1. It was literally the reason I bought my first computer.

Thanks for all the tips and advice all. I will likely create a couple more F2P accounts and try a mix and match. Until I decide to change my rogue as a main, and likely wont, he will probably be in the list. I know having the gold accounts is pretty much a must, we will see how that goes. One of the things I have been lacking at is actually setting up my Baz Alt when I log off. Does anyone have a problem with not enough space on your Baz Alt / Acct? or does it not really become a problem with 10x slots for trader satchels?

SK is probably my favorite class actually. I played on up to about 95 back in the day. Just really feeling the rogue right now. I actually have another SK that I am deleting/rerolling. So that I will have an SK main on my original account. One of my thoughts was that I could main the rogue, and when the guild isn't raiding/doing heroics, I could drop down to the SK and box with the other toons. But I could be stretching my time too thin that way. The thoughts about the extra toon external to the group I have seen directly in action as I was getting PL'd and we had a cleric healing the tank from out of the group. Not sure when the warrior gets the AOE taunt but it was really effective.

I think the biggest or probably most annoying problem that I will see, is all the additional stuff that will have to be repeated 6x times or more so each of the toons progress. Like collectables, task adds, accepting loot, and so on. The advl is really good if soloing, but trying to figure out for boxing is painful. I do know about the autoloot option stuff. Just need to set up each account correctly.

Thanks for all the tips and advice all. I will likely create a couple more F2P accounts and try a mix and match. Until I decide to change my rogue as a main, and likely wont, he will probably be in the list. I know having the gold accounts is pretty much a must, we will see how that goes. One of the things I have been lacking at is actually setting up my Baz Alt when I log off. Does anyone have a problem with not enough space on your Baz Alt / Acct? or does it not really become a problem with 10x slots for trader satchels?
Its a problem. Most of us look to housing.

You can buy a plot cheap and each character can have 3 plots - those charge rent.

The houses that you buy with Loyalty tokens or thru the Marketplace to put on the plots do not charge rent. You can have unlimited houses. Or if you have any house in claim it will make the plot rent free too. So you pay nothing at all for the claim houses.

So if you make a bunch of alts on those empty character slots you can have quite a few. Might want to buy your own neighborhood while your at it. To put all those houses in.

I think I am up to about 53 plots with 500 item houses. Some are tradeskill stuff, some are quest stuff that I rotate among new alts, a lot of collects and Heros Forge armor and the list goes on.

I splurged to solve this issue last year: prepaid a whole year on one JUST for trading. Cancelled that sub before it ended and popped a krono. After the krono I resubbed standard but with the add-on for $2.99 for 12 slot trader bags and 12 bagslots. So long as I pay in Kronos(I believe but haven't verified yet) I'll just get the $2.99 monthly fee, and have 144 slots. I used to have 2 trader accounts and the second one was just Kronos, but with the bigger bagspace and slower sales(but higher profit) this year I didn't need to overstock so much. You could do the same, pop a krono on an account just for a trader, then sub with the add-on if you think you need the space(I'd wait and see how much space you need first) and so long as you have an active krono they don't charge the monthly portion. Still waiting to verify that they'll charge the $2.99 though, or if it'll cancel when the first month ends.

But for me, running a trader was ALWAYS an issue and I rarely did it, but back then it was 4 accounts and I paid real money and never bought the $250 expansion(there weren't any iirc, back then, or they didn't have tradeables that sell for good krono anyway to make back what was paid and then some) so now I buy expacs, just added the 1 add-on to trader and all 3 add-ons($4.99 for all) to main because I'm a packrat and always behind these years- too many breaks- but because it's its own account I have no excuse not to run it 24/7. With offline trading it's no issue for your computers either though I run mine live because I have 5 machines running now and it doesnt interfere behind one of my crew.

I've never liked boxing traditionally..1 machine..I've always had multiples running so nothing changed except restocking every day or 2 and reaping rewards. With parcels, you don't ever have to go to baz to do that either.

Its a problem. Most of us look to housing.

You can buy a plot cheap and each character can have 3 plots - those charge rent.

The houses that you buy with Loyalty tokens or thru the Marketplace to put on the plots do not charge rent. You can have unlimited houses. Or if you have any house in claim it will make the plot rent free too. So you pay nothing at all for the claim houses.

So if you make a bunch of alts on those empty character slots you can have quite a few. Might want to buy your own neighborhood while your at it. To put all those houses in.

I think I am up to about 53 plots with 500 item houses. Some are tradeskill stuff, some are quest stuff that I rotate among new alts, a lot of collects and Heros Forge armor and the list goes on.
I have actually never invested in a house. I need to figure it out. If I went for the extra accounts, I think I would be hard pressed for issues with the 32 slot tradeskill bags and the 20 slot regular bags. I mainly meant on the Baz trader. Like, 250 different items. How often do you exceed putting up 250+ items and leaving it up?

Never had space issue on my baz trader. Hardly ever have full bags.

But I am not that into the baz. I tried farming for resell and playing the market so to speak and didn't really benefit me. Spent more time playing at that than the game.

No one really comes out with specifics as to what they sale a lot of but I guess it would vary from server to server. Usually the players who sell a lot are selling the just released expansion goodies or chase loot. And that is way above where I play 😄

using rog as main (gold) you would prolly need a Mage for pet tank(with the earring u can wear, mage pet will out tank merc pretty easily) then either shm(def a great idea) or brd on 3rd account.

now assuming the Rog has all Tank Merc AA then u could do Rog/Tank merc, Shm/dps merc, Brd/dps merc(shm using either mq2shm or a good ini can solo heal pretty well 75+)
would want to krono 1 one month and the other another month if possible to get the aa(shm being more important for heal aa and stuff like Canni)

I have a side group that is 2 mages (1 gold other silver) 2 necros(both silver) 1 shm(silver) and 1 bard(silver) that is pretty good and is fun to play. I krono them every so often to get aa on them, but i dont normally play them untill im getting board with my primary 3 groups
Sorry, missed this one thanks! Yes, I plan to eventually get a krono, or just pay one month and get autogranted AAs on the other two boxes. Also, looking to eventually bring the expansions up to current. I just cant to the monthly sub.

This is a very intesting thread to me , I am currently leveling some alts to join my main who is gold and a silver bard and shammy, its easy to run extra toons infact i made 10 accounts when i started messing with mq2 before i settled on which to keep i need get them leveled up.

I was runnning gribbles but my main account been suspended for 14 days and he was only one that was gold he also has most of the money and is my main tradeskiller so if i was you i would share stuff around and not get caught out like me

also how many hours a day are you farming to make 200k i have always been rubbish at plat farming lol

This is a very intesting thread to me , I am currently leveling some alts to join my main who is gold and a silver bard and shammy, its easy to run extra toons infact i made 10 accounts when i started messing with mq2 before i settled on which to keep i need get them leveled up.

I was runnning gribbles but my main account been suspended for 14 days and he was only one that was gold he also has most of the money and is my main tradeskiller so if i was you i would share stuff around and not get caught out like me

also how many hours a day are you farming to make 200k i have always been rubbish at plat farming lol
at 115+ 200k isnt hard to get, just trash killing you should get enough VT to make that easily in a few hours

Question - Trying to box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back