• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

True or not? (1 Viewer)

All I see is the login page, but I am on the crappy computers at school, so I will try again when I get home.

Hey all passing along info here so no one else falls prey to this, apparently there is a hack of some sort going around where if you log w/o looting your corpse, someone can alter the info of the corpse, and loot it themselves (this includes no drop gear etc) Our guild SS has had multiple people hacked in this manner, so please pass along this info and be careful, if you value your gear.

and a reply in the thread....

As I posted on the RnF. Oddly enough, this hack was designed, and created, by a member of SS. That same member also passed it around to other people. It's an MQ-Plugin Hack and it's currently very real.

The way it works from my understanding, is the griefing party uses it to create a level 1 character on your server, with your same character name, and spoofs the server into believing it's really you. Then they proceed to loot your gear and raid your bank.

SoE is currently doing everything they can to correct this and prevent it. Hopefully they figure it out soon, this is retarded. Why some of you assholes have to go and be dickweeds for your giggles is just silly. Go to a PvP server, make a bard, and train raids for fun. Get the fuck away from me.

As far as to my knowledge goes , I'd have to say no. Granted my knowledge doesn't go very far when it comes to the account checks and character verification system on SoE's login/creation servers. To "spoof" another persons ID well enough to "fool" thier server enough for you to create another character of the same name on the same server, would be extremely difficult to say the least. From what I understand the name creation end of everquest is run through the gambit so that people don't have offensive names , popular character names , so on and so on , but it also checks to see if the character name is associated with another account on the server. You would have to have that account info thats stored on the Sony servers in order to really pull it off. Login name and passwords are also associated with characters , hence the reason why you can login on someone elses machine and play your toons. Aside from all that , which I could be way off , is it possible? Anything is possible. But I doubt it.

I know the server and guilds that are asssociated iwth this, and I am inclined to disbelieve it. The guild that is being accused of doing this is one that has had some issues with other top lvl guilds... lots of issues actually. So wouldnt be surprised if it was just sourgrapes.

Now that being said, there is a plugin/offset running around somewhere that lets ya "loot" any corpse, but all it does is lock it so others cant loot it. No gear is displayed and nothing can actually be taken from it.

Ahh yeah, No I dont have that plugin.

Bardscorpse_01 said:
I know the server and guilds that are asssociated iwth this, and I am inclined to disbelieve it. The guild that is being accused of doing this is one that has had some issues with other top lvl guilds... lots of issues actually. So wouldnt be surprised if it was just sourgrapes.

Now that being said, there is a plugin/offset running around somewhere that lets ya "loot" any corpse, but all it does is lock it so others cant loot it. No gear is displayed and nothing can actually be taken from it.

Ahh yeah, No I dont have that plugin.
I too know the parties involved. Which is why I ask the question. It sounds like someone just having other peoples Login, and maybe looting, and deleting stuff, and someone else in a rival guild spawning MQ rumors.

The guild in question was formed up from many of the higher end guilds on the server. They pick and chose who they wanted, and pulled them out of their respective guilds. In the higher end, this guild isnt looked upon too fondly, although they are all really good people. Just that other guilds dont like the members anymore, as they left their original guilds to form this new one.

Ok so I did a little bit of research, I mean just a tiny bit.... less than 5 minutes and found out:

This is related to a bug in the actual .exe that was letting people create( sp?) a lvl 1 toon thats named the same as any other toon on the server, this also lets ya loot their gear. So has/had nothing to do with MQ other than the fact that they were probably using shared offset to transferr the gear to other characters after they got it.

So yeah it can be done, but no it had nothing to do with MQ.

how could u get the same name as someone? it would say that it isnt accepted or the name is taken already :P

confirmed by SoE - AND .... P A T C H I N C ...

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=Crier&message.id=191 said:
There is a new exploit with character creation that allows someone to create a character with a name that is already in use. This exploit is used to effect other players. We know of this exploit and are in the process of permanently banning any user that has used this exploit and will ban anyone else who uses it as well. The exploit will be fixed with an update tomorrow morning, but in the meantime anyone who takes advantage of the exploit will be banned.

Due to the issue posted by Rapaz about the exploit with character creation that allows someone to create a character with a name that is already in use, we will be updating at 4am. ETA for the downtime is 4 hours.
Message Edited by Kytherea on 09-21-2005 04:26 PM

Kytherea ~~wielding a giant hammer & a hairless War Hamster~~

"I'm late, I'm late...."

they just fixed this 2day, patched and it said somethin like "Fixed the exploit where one can choose the same name as another" or somethin like that and i thought "hm, looks like this is true..."

oh crap.....doesnt look good 4 u Slark :(

AnonPersun
Post subject: About the exploit Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 07:41 PM

EverQuest Apprentice

I am not in this guild, nor on the server...I recently heard of an exploit that allows one person to make a character with the same name as another...I have information on this, e-mail me at **********@*****.com or send me and IM at **********, it's AOL...
I know who did this.....

this was on forums in ur guild website!!

True or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back