• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Trouble with EQ and Dual Core Processors? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
90¢
It could be one of two problems. Problem one. EQ isn't handling both cores at once, glitchy animation and running too slow or too fast.

Lil program called one first. Automatically sets processor affinity to one processor
http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

Put it in the eq directory and modify the shortcut to say

"X:\YYYI\RunFirst.exe" everquest.exe

Replace X with the drive letter eq is installed on and YYY with the directory path

Can use in conjunction with :

1. Install the Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core driver from AMD.

Info: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html
Download: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpu.exe
2. Install the Microsoft Windows XP Dual Core hotfix.

Info: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256
Download: http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe

Alright if you're still experiencing Lag/Weird glitches after combining both those options (Sometimes those individually will cure it) A simple change may fix it.

Go into your computers Control Panel (Start->Control Panel) and go to "Power Options" and set your power scheme to "Always on" . This in effect disables AMD's "Powernow" which scales processor speed....Like shifting gears, according to how much power it "thinks" you need. ...Of course it "thinks" wrong all the time on games and heavy apps.

There you go, woohoos.

i just start up eq, while in the patcher go to task manager, go to the process everquest.exe, right click, go down to affinity and choose which processor you want it to run on.

yeah, i can understand that, but then i keep mine running for a day or so. anyhow might have to see if i can rearrange things on my hd to do it that way :)

Don't have to do anything tricky. Runfirst is just an exe. You put the exe in your eq folder. Goto the file called "Everquest.exe" make a shortcut. Then in the shortcut redirect it to runfirst instead of everquest.exe

"C:\Program Files\Everquest\Runfirst.exe" everquest.exe

Is what the shortcut should look like then. Depending on directly. Then you can move the shortcut you just made to desktop and use it to open eq, and it will automatically set affinity

WinEQ2 has dual core support :) www.lavishsoft.com.
I have a Dell laptop with a dual core t2400 , 1 gig ram and 256 meg radeon x1400. I can raid with both of my accounts at 1600x1050 and it runs very smoothly (i did have to turn some models off, /kick myself for not getting 2 gigs ram.

I have had similar crashing issues. I've looked around many sites trying to figure out what options I could try. Im running winxp64 however so when I try to right click in task manager, I dont get the option to set affinity. On my other machines I can but not this new one. I have tried putting in a totally new hard drive w/only items needed to play eq to try to eliminate any other software and still from time to time I get screen freeze.
I am using abit kn8 939 sli.. fx55.. 2 geforce gt7800's (in sli mode).. 3 gig ram. I have done mem tests and newest 3dmark and all is well.. very well in fact. I have searched and searched to try to make sure my drivers stay up to date etc.
The main time I seem to have this issue is when Im playing 3-4 chars on this pc. I can be playing fine for a few hours then suddenly it starts. I do not believe it to be heat as I have the side of the case off and a normal small house fan puming into it as well as the 120mm fan.. the power supply is 550w which I believe the recommended is 600 but I'd think 550 is fine.
Sometimes the error on the blue screen says nv4_dsp.dll other times its just straight up screen freeze and I cant do anything. It does happen much less now however since I am using this dedicated hard drive, but still happens... not exactly sure what to do other than try to put win xp pro 32 on this drive and go from there. Any other ideas would be nice even if I've tried them
Thanks
also happens whether or not wineq2 is in use.

Last edited:
Flash,

Are your chipset drivers up to date?

nv4_dsp.dll is the driver for sound processing on an Nvidia chipset (dsp = digital sound processor). If the driver is current than you are most likely having issues related to the 64bit edition of Windows and the 64 bit driver for it.

I would recommend avoiding the 64 bit edition for playing EQ, if you have a choice.

That's actually where I'm at w/it in my thinking as well. My goal when I got this seperate hard drive was to dedicate it only to eq and put on a windows 32 OS.. I thought my xp64 disc would give me that option but it didnt. By the time I was sure it wasn't lettin me load a 32bit option it was already into the install and I didnt want to stop it. I'm being lazy about not goin back and reinstalling 32 on it because I dont want to re install and re patch. I "think" that would work but being lazy like I am, that sounds like a bit of work and Im not even sure it would do the trick.
I'm fairly sure I have updated drivers as well. After having the headaches from the first go-round and then ordering a new drive just for eq, I think I got the latest of everything.
At some point I guess Im goin to just have to wipe the drive and do what I intended and get a 32bit os on that puppy. At least then I can rule that out.
Side question, since xp64 isn't lettin me set affinity, would putting high priority do anything for me? Just curious.

I'd suggest not doing high priority, but above normal. Everything is set to normal priority at the time its run, and that way if you find that you need something to be ran with more attention than eq you still have a priority setting to use as realtime almost always locks up the computer if the demand on the cpu is high.

Trouble with EQ and Dual Core Processors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back