• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Discussion - Trip down memory lane... (1 Viewer)

Forza

RedCents
21¢
Wow! I can't believe that I started playing EverQuest before I started high school. I remember the first time I ever decided to cheat in EQ and RedGuides was the monstrosity of cheat sites during those days, with exploits and plugins being posted daily to the public scene. I remember I learned how to find offsets in MQ2DoCrack (after much learning) and felt so happy with myself. Looking back, that was the most ridiculously simple thing you can possibly do. I really wanted to learn how to make cheats but didn't have much interest in programming anything else so never got very far. Pretty sad when you're making plugins but don't even know what a typecast or an array is. Shortly after I posted my first plugin, MQ2Grav (basic gravity plugin, roughly 20 lines of code if I remember correctly), I got an opportunity to work at MQ2Source which sucked but, hey, I figured I would learn a little bit. I remember the days of ghost kill and no delay - definitely some fun times.

Although the only half useful thing I wrote during those days was a packet fuzzer which (through a lot of luck) led me to an exploit to summon items. That lasted about a whole week before it was patched. Anyway, I stopped coding for many years (and honestly I never really coded in the first place, I just learned to use the MQ2API and that's about it). I would still check NotAddicted forums every now and then but not very often and nothing new seemed to be happening. Well for the first time in many months I went to go check NA again to check what was new and it's turned back into REDGUIDES!!! What a damn burst of nostalgia that was for me, so many memories (almost as much as EQ itself).

As far as myself, I really started learning to program and reverse engineer properly by reading books and taking classes roughly 1.2 years ago (mid last summer). Loving it so far but mainly I've been focusing on FPS games (Source Engine, CoD Series, Battlefield Series, etc.) However - I have also decided to start reversing GW2 if anyone is interested in that, it's a fun project but I've only had a few days to work on it since I didn't start until the last beta weekend. I've gotten a decent amount done (entity iteration, speed modification, warping, basic packet manipulation, nothing major though) but it's coming along. Are there still any old school guys here that would even remember me? How is EQ now? I will most likely definitely give EQClassic a try but I've gotten back on retail enough to know that it's just not for me anymore. Anyway - I just decided to post this to see what was new, how everyone is doing, etc. I suppose I should say this is UnKnoWn405 so people actually recognize the name (hopefully). ;)

Good to hear from you UnKnoWn405,
We have been working for months on getting ready to move back. It finally happened at the end of July. Took us a few weeks to work out the bugs from the updated forums and the move but we are really happy with everything now. We are researching some new features that will be unveiled in the next few months so be sure stop in more often.

Discussion - Trip down memory lane...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back