• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - ToFS mesh - does anyone know what this room is? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,211¢
I am making a change to my ToV-version ToFS and I see this weird thing off to the side. It might be a GM/Dev hideout, or something they were using to store assets when designing the zone? Does anyone have a clue as to what it is?

It also exists in the Velious-version ToFS, along with some weird wall-thing that has no room assigned to it.

1634745391859.png

And ideas as to what it could be?

I know back in the day a GM would pull a player to a secret area that had no doors, to have a chat with them. There exists one in the Qeynos sewers.

they have a lot of "asset" stuff just stored as place holders or places they can copy pasta from making the zones

like this section in one of the new zones, just their "working area" where they can grab their assets and use them
1634745627650.png

that box is probably just a left over.

or it could be something that was used or planned for an instance of the zone. many zones have sections which are stitched together in different instanced versions of itself.

look at the some of the dragonhills mechamatic zone

Haha, thanks for the explanation Sic. The copy/paste makes a lot of sense, and then they just didn't do any cleanup after they were done!
if you wanna see a crazy zone

go into the mechmatic guardian instance

the snip above is the actual nav mesh, and the shot below is from in game. each of the sections are stitched together with a free-floating piece of the mesh from elsewhere.
Brainiac was explaining to me that zone geometry can have "alternate states" which is how some zones have walls in one version and not another, or doors here but not there etc, so the geometry is the same, they are just in different states.

Cool stuff
1634746257772.png

I used to find crap like that in autocad drawings all of the time by zooming out. The worst I ever saw shrunk the whole drawing to a pixel and the screen had a single line segment drawn on it. Copy/paste and using drawings from other people and you eventually will end up with crap like that from someone sloppy.

Discussion - ToFS mesh - does anyone know what this room is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back