• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

To the people who seem to enjoy stealing my compiles (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thez

RedCents
210¢
This was posted earlier on the forum of a guild that was stupid enough to post my compile in a directory of their guild website.

I am seriously tired of seeing my compiles turn up in places like that. Thanks go to TurkReno for digging around in the DMCA and GPL to figure this out.

TurkReno said:
Your server is thus charged with being in violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act by violating the General Public Licence that is used for MacroQuest2 by distributing a copy of MacroQuest2 from a private source and "author", hereforth known as TheZ, who has stated that you are not authorized to distribute this program from your website.

The "program", thus stated as MacroQuest2 compiled for www.redguides.com shall henceforth be known as such. From hereforth, you are also hereby charged with Theft of Intellectual Property and are requested to remove all traces of MacroQuest2 that have been compiled, distributed from and paid for from RedGuides.

Since the GPL Agreement is not included, the following lines are subject to you, the distributor:

1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;
and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License
along with the Program.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1
above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any
part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third
parties under the terms of this License.

c) If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
License. (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

Remove said program or possible legal action will be taken upon this site as it is not an authorized distributor of said program.

-TurkReno

For those of you who would like a legal definition of how there is a loophole there and why you can't steal stuff from RedGuides, take into account the quoted section from the General Public License:

Regarding #1. - Since RedGuides.com has a subscription, then that makes it intellectual property of RedGuides.com if it was taken from the membership side.

Regarding #2. - TheZ has changed the MQ2CleanUI.cpp file to sign his copy as stating that "vX.X - TheZ for REDGUIDES", thus covering #2 and subsection C of #2.

He also provides updates regularly and states the changes made to them, which covers subsection A.

Subsection B - States that you must license the compile. This is where a real loophole fits in. Later in the GPL it states that if the GPL is removed, then you automatically agree to the GPL, therefore its already licensed and you've already agreed to it. If argued, it could easily be said that if you came here that you have prior knowledge of MacroQuest2 provided by the MacroQuest2 Developers and you should have known about it anyway.

Point, game, match.

All in all, posting precompiles of other peoples stuff that you got from RedGuides = bad karma. Bad Karma = Stuff you don't want.

-TurkReno

Really sorry to see someone do that to you thez....

I really hate the saying "No good deed goes unpunished"...but I guess there are some fu*&ing ( ! )'s here that want to make sure that there is a reason that quote still lives today.

For what it is worth ...speaking for myself (because I won't speak for anyone else after what I read at the top of this thread) ...you really turned this game around (and others who would compile/answer questions/plugins/etc.) for me.

I would of quit EQ long ago because I can't spend 50 hours a week (hell I can spend 25 hours a week) playing eq....

So thank you and to everyone else who helps people like me put life back into an otherwise ridicules timesink of a game.

Wohooo yay team score one for the good guys!

BTW Thez did you gank your compile now? I didn't notice it stickied any longer unless my brain missed it ;)

Last edited:
Regarding #1. - Since RedGuides.com has a subscription, then that makes it intellectual property of RedGuides.com if it was taken from the membership side.

This is a VERY dangerous stance to take. For one, MQ2 is an open source project. Secondly, by claiming intellectual property owership of an mq2 compile, you are opening yourself up to possible litigation by SOE, which is why MQ2 is an open source project to begin with, I would think....

OK, I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that copyright does cover the republishing of open source material if you have added value to it through your own non-open-source work and have published it only to paying subscribers.

Think about the various LINUX distributions... RedHat would have a similar issue with someone giving away their product, and both are fully justified in protecting their rights.

And yes SOE could probably hack-n-slash this community in litigation, (in a general sense--not just this site), and also be perfectly legally justified. But SOE would be paying a lot of money for the right to lose even more money. Not a good business move, which is why they don't.

More power to you Thez... :drink /em drinks to that...

You can claim anything you like and try and scare someone into backing off.

Unless you actually plan on spending your hard earned money on sueing people or you happen to be a lawyer yourself.. it would really be pointless.

Anyone with half a brain would realize this.

Even those with REAL claims over copyright.. ie: Microsoft etc cannot keep their software from being stolen.. do you really suppose that anyone here is rich enough to do what MS and the other tech giants cannot?

qevlhma said:
You can claim anything you like and try and scare someone into backing off.

Unless you actually plan on spending your hard earned money on sueing people or you happen to be a lawyer yourself.. it would really be pointless.

Anyone with half a brain would realize this.

Even those with REAL claims over copyright.. ie: Microsoft etc cannot keep their software from being stolen.. do you really suppose that anyone here is rich enough to do what MS and the other tech giants cannot?
actually you can get payment for it because it requires a redguides subscription and as such requires a payment in order to recieve the compile. In court you would be subject to recieving all money lost in such a way as well as by possible word of mouth. If won and asked within the case, you are also liable to recieve any money put forth into lawyer fees. So all in all, if you know you're going to win, you will end up ahead after spending your hard earned money.

Speculation and having the ISP requested for logs on a server are two separate things. The internet has its black and white areas. And, as I stated before, this is property of the subscription side of RedGuides.com because it has been modified and signed by the compiler, TheZ, as to that it is customized for RedGuides and ONLY for RedGuides.

If you read the GPL it states that you CAN recieve a fee for compiling the MQ2 project. RedGuides does not directly recieve a fee for any MQ2 compile, nor is the stance that the compile will ever be here. However, since it is available in the subscription section, it is implied that the GPL applies to the source if it is used. As I stated before as well - people here are already familiar with the original source of MacroQuest2, therefore you should already be aware of the terms and conditions that are applied to it.

RedGuides stance, as I understand, is not to try and "license or patent" any custom copy of MacroQuest2 that it distributes from its site. Since TheZ is the author of this compile, he is the one who has stated that it is for RedGuides subscription members and that it is ONLY for RedGuides members and nowhere outside this site. His wishes are clear as are the other people who have stated that they don't want their stuff leaving the subscription area. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE REDGUIDES STUFF IF YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION. Its that simple.

As far as SoE bringing down the hammer, I'm sure that MacroQuest2/LavishSoft would be the first to go if they decided that they wanted to knock out half their player base. Lets not get visions of grandeur here about stupid stuff. All you have to do to stop a server from distributing subscription material is: 1) Prove that its provided in a subscription area. 2) Prove that the author of the customized compile requested that the copy in question be removed. 3) Show where the copies being distributed are similar. 4) Have an attorney send a legal request to remove the software in question while showing how further legal action can be taken.

All in all, if you're going to debate about taking stuff off RedGuides, then it really makes me think that you could probably be one of those people who come here simply to distribute what compiles that he or anything anyone else put up that suits your fancy. If you want to discuss/debate the crap about SoE, MacroQuest2, or the GPL, get a better grasp on the GPL and the DMCA so you actually know what you're talking about so you can make an intelligent reply.

-TurkReno

TurkReno said:
Speculation and having the ISP requested for logs on a server are two separate things. The internet has its black and white areas. And, as I stated before, this is property of the subscription side of RedGuides.com because it has been modified and signed by the compiler, TheZ, as to that it is customized for RedGuides and ONLY for RedGuides.

If you read the GPL it states that you CAN recieve a fee for compiling the MQ2 project. RedGuides does not directly recieve a fee for any MQ2 compile, nor is the stance that the compile will ever be here. However, since it is available in the subscription section, it is implied that the GPL applies to the source if it is used. As I stated before as well - people here are already familiar with the original source of MacroQuest2, therefore you should already be aware of the terms and conditions that are applied to it.

RedGuides stance, as I understand, is not to try and "license or patent" any custom copy of MacroQuest2 that it distributes from its site. Since TheZ is the author of this compile, he is the one who has stated that it is for RedGuides subscription members and that it is ONLY for RedGuides members and nowhere outside this site. His wishes are clear as are the other people who have stated that they don't want their stuff leaving the subscription area. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE REDGUIDES STUFF IF YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION. Its that simple.

As far as SoE bringing down the hammer, I'm sure that MacroQuest2/LavishSoft would be the first to go if they decided that they wanted to knock out half their player base. Lets not get visions of grandeur here about stupid stuff. All you have to do to stop a server from distributing subscription material is: 1) Prove that its provided in a subscription area. 2) Prove that the author of the customized compile requested that the copy in question be removed. 3) Show where the copies being distributed are similar. 4) Have an attorney send a legal request to remove the software in question while showing how further legal action can be taken.

All in all, if you're going to debate about taking stuff off RedGuides, then it really makes me think that you could probably be one of those people who come here simply to distribute what compiles that he or anything anyone else put up that suits your fancy. If you want to discuss/debate the crap about SoE, MacroQuest2, or the GPL, get a better grasp on the GPL and the DMCA so you actually know what you're talking about so you can make an intelligent reply.

-TurkReno

This is all fine and dandy; however, you also have to cnsider the number of MQ2 VIP content that is found in the precompiles. You can't sit here and throw stones in glass houses when the very compile you are complaining is being stolen, steals VIP MQ2 content, itself.

lmao, its like the kettle calling the pot black or..however the saying goes.

One one hand, the DEVELOPERS of MQ2 don't want precompiles at all and maintain that their copy rights are infringed upon by people modifying the source code to begin with. On the other hand, you have precompilers sitting here whining that their compiles are being redistrubted by places other than redguides....compiles that include VIP plugins that clear are intended to be used ONLY by those who have an MQ2 VIP account and are capable of compiling their own plugins.

So who is right? Its all a silly argument imho. Just play the game.

MQ2 VIP content is heavily frowned upon here. However, some plugins are public domain because they were posted on a public website before they were posted in the private section of the site.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the ban of public precompiles for MQ2 was mainly put in place because it decimated the population of retarded fucks who would have been crying on the MQ2 site if it wasn't working. However, it was put on before my time and I'm not totally sure.

Regardless though, all content posted in a private area, unless otherwise stated by its creator, is intended specifically for that private area.

If I post code here that I intend for RedGuides members only, that means that if some shitty guild takes my code, compiles it and posts it somewhere else, they are in violation of the DMCA Act of 1998 and can be subject to legal penalty. It is no different than someone taking a copy of a Harry Potter book, photocopying a thousand copies of it and handing it out on a street corner. It is illegal. It is even more illegal if the website is selling it which was the case for MMOBugs.com with them including my speed plugin (and 3 others) in their compile. They're lucky that I didn't continue on with the legal process because if I would've sent the email containing all of the official information to the EV1Servers abuse department they would have suspended their hosting package most likely for a minimum period of one month.

To anyone that sees any Redguides content on any other site Please advise ADMIN or Moderators Promptly.

Besure to Give us the contect taken, The Site it is found on, and Even who it was stolen by if you have that information. Redguides will take it from there.

For further see this thread:

http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php?t=10445

It is a stuck thread ti the Request section. A Direct Request from Redbot himself to help in this matter. Todate several people have been contated and forced to remove said content from thier sites or face legal action.

At this time I will lock thsi thread as it is beating a dead horse.

To the people who seem to enjoy stealing my compiles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back