• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - The Bazaar 2M limit

RedCents
1,604¢
Has there been any talk by DB about fixing the 2 million plat issue in the bazaar? I'm sure it's been an issue for a while now, but I would imagine it's an easy one to fix and players would appreciate it!

Think it had to do with hard coding .... There was a bunch of stuff I read over the last few months saying it was something about not being able to make it bigger..

What they could do and should do is add alt currency. Just like the real estate where u can fund it by chroninbines or what ever.

OR let you buy with noble coins as each one of them is worth 103kish.. could easily let you billions for an item.

P.s. here it is from day break.
Certain places, like vendors and bazaar deal with a single int32, which limits money to 2.1 Million (approx). They impose a hard 2 million limit to avoid encountering overflows.

Its been thrown around a lot on discord/EQ website and never really get much of a response out of it

I think they just dont know how to change it, like a lot of things - these newer devs have no idea what to do with the old code lol

Think it had to do with hard coding .... There was a bunch of stuff I read over the last few months saying it was something about not being able to make it bigger..

What they could do and should do is add alt currency. Just like the real estate where u can fund it by chroninbines or what ever.

OR let you buy with noble coins as each one of them is worth 103kish.. could easily let you billions for an item.

P.s. here it is from day break.
Certain places, like vendors and bazaar deal with a single int32, which limits money to 2.1 Million (approx). They impose a hard 2 million limit to avoid encountering overflows.
Ahhh ok, I get it. 32bit game is the culprit, I had that suspicion! I get it. They may wanna start thinking of how to convert it to 64 bit , or there will start to be issues once characters are reaching 2 million hps! That is years down the road, but its a roadblock for sure.

Would be exciting ro see them try. The way they "fix" things I wouldn't be surprised if after they tried fixing it everything would instantly have a few extra zeros after it. That pod of water now costs 100000pp. Using an alt currency seems the more sensible solution. They added coins for bags years ago. Might be possible for coins instead of but you would have to exchange pp for coins, buy stuff, and seller would have to exchange back. I don't think fractional coins would work so items would be priced in whatever increment that was in, as in 1 coin is 100000pp. Unless one of our whizzbang programmers wants to chime in and educate us? My programming skills are limited and from the 80s and 90s so I'm no help.

It has to do with coins counting in Copper. Sadly, NPC (and TLP's) still care about that, so cant just move the math over 1 decimal place. A good (and easy? ish) fix, as mentioned above is to make a super coin that can be used during baz/PC to PC transactions.

It has to do with coins counting in Copper. Sadly, NPC (and TLP's) still care about that, so cant just move the math over 1 decimal place. A good (and easy? ish) fix, as mentioned above is to make a super coin that can be used during baz/PC to PC transactions.
was supposed to be what "Nobles" were for, but another failed eq venture

allahs said:
This item is meant as a substitute for 100,000 platinum. Unfortunately, the merchants take a 10% "tax" on anyone buying one from them. The item sells back to a merchant for 100,000 platinum.

They have kronos and they had that other old godforsaken coin token thing that was worth like 100k, I cant remember what it was called. I think krono would be much harder to implement

Maybe update the bazaar to let there be trades? somebody wants to sell something have people make actual trade offers like a trading post type deal. Hell even something centered around diamonds / blue diamonds might work, if they weren't some tied into TS.

Ahhh ok, I get it. 32bit game is the culprit, I had that suspicion! I get it. They may wanna start thinking of how to convert it to 64 bit , or there will start to be issues once characters are reaching 2 million hps! That is years down the road, but its a roadblock for sure.
They converted the client to 64bit a while back. So basically, it's just old coding that they are already breaking enough and don't want to touch this with a 20ft pole.

They have kronos and they had that other old godforsaken coin token thing that was worth like 100k, I cant remember what it was called. I think krono would be much harder to implement
Oh, yeah Nobles. Where they are 100,000 plat but the NPC then charges you a 10% "tax" in addition so they are really 110,000. But they will buy them back for the 100,000 and lucky us a Noble tributes for 80,000 points.

Originally they were brought into the game to be able to purchase those big dollar items off of Marcia Attamilgad. And then they tried to say they were to help the economy. They even said in the original release on the SOE faq in 2014:

Q: Why is there such a mark-up on the merchant price? They sell back to a merchant for 100,000 platinum, but cost 110,245 platinum to buy!

A: This is the minimum price difference allowed by EverQuest's merchant system. We will watch how people use the system as is and investigate options if it isn't useful.

Wonder if they are done watching and have some other ideas. "smirk"

I mean if it's an int32 wouldn't they be able to change it to a uint32 and still have the same amount of bytes taken up while also doubling the capacity. 4,294,967,295 is max UInt32 which is twice that of an Int32. I suppose even then it wouldn't exactly be future proof. One could argue it's already beyond a UInt32 being helpful at this point.
I doubt it's a matter of not knowing how. Changing the type of something isn't really all that complicated. But I'm willing to be it's a ton of work in the old code to change it everywhere it would need to be changed.
It may well be something they eventually look at later. Right now they're having fun trying to implement the new UI while also trying to generate an expansion on what is considered a small dev team yeah?

Question - The Bazaar 2M limit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back