• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Thanks, Iso! (1 Viewer)

Lesson25

RedCents
So, I went on a business trip to Japan for a couple of weeks ago to meet some customers. (My first time to Japan & only my second time out of the country, BTW.) I was only there for a few days, but on the last day our customer cancelled their meeting so one of the guys from our Tokyo office took me out to Akihabara. I wanted to get some souvenirs but I was afraid most things wouldn't work in the US, so I ended up going to a CD store to buy, amongst a few other things, the Best of Morning Masume Vol 1.

Well, I've heard back since then apparently the rest of the Tokyo office was impressed with my knowledge of Japanese culture (i.e., buying a Morning Masume CD). They asked me how I knew about them (I told them an internet-friend of mine was a fan) & promised to show me "even more of Japanese subculture" the next time I visit. Thanks, Iso!

lol, good on ya.

i can't seem to remember if you're coming from the states or not... but if so, america and japan are nearly identical, electronics wise.

video cameras and TVs etc are both NTSC (not PAL), and anything using a wall socket for power requires no adapters at all.

a lot of things here are multilingual, too... i have my HDTV menu system set to english (but the actual "MENU" button on the remote is japanese), my new celphone can do english or japanese, and lots of things like blenders or hairdyers just say "Off - Lo - Med - Hi" etc.

tokyo and akihabara are fun; did you get a chance to check out shinjuku and ropongi? shinjuku is kind of like "the young people place" of tokyo, where kids play guitar in the train station, and everything is geared towards the younger twenties.

ropongi is where ridiculously rich young japanese girls going looking for foreigner men to seduce and marry.

i prefer okayama myself. countryside FTW :)

We were actually staying at Shinjuku; no Ropongi, though. As much as I would have loved to have rich young cute japanese girls throw themselves at me. :-/ Oh--we did go to a maid cafe! But I digress...

I'm surprised the power & video formats are identical; I could have sworn they were different. I'll keep that in mind when/if I go back. I'm fairly sure DVDs aren't universal, though, because of those stupid region codes.

yeah the region codes suck... those will mess with any game consoles, DVD players (maybe, unless they're region free) and discs you buy for any of them.

the Gameboys are universal though ;)

Thanks, Iso!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back