• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

task macro needed (1 Viewer)

ashtray24

RedCents
I have tried for almost a week now and I am even more confused.

I am trying to get a macro to get a task
run to a few locs
check for lev and sow or soe and recast if needed
hail the task giver
get reward and repeat.
There are many macro's out there and i have tried to change them but totaly mess them up in the end.

I will add npc names all locs required load correct spell sets etc.
once i have it tweaked will paste the locs npc rewards etc... just cant get my small brain around the syntax

Since you've invested time, I'll make a few general suggestions. Hopefully they'll help you if would like to continue your own work.

1. Break the task down into small chunks. This lets you design/test on focused portions at a time. Frustration over syntax will burn you every time; by working a smaller portion of code or logic at a time, you're dealing with less variety in syntax.

2. You appear to have three "chunks": interaction with the NPC, self-examination/action, and movement. The first will likely be the most difficult for a first-timer, so chose one of the other two to start. I would recommend movement, then self-examination, then UI interation. Having the macro work succesfully after you manually acquire the task and manually buff up is a major morale booster!

3. Definitely study macros others have created. Experienced coders will often include "fancy" stuff to accomodate the tastes and needs of many classes. Get to the heart of what is being accomplished and code your effort "straight line" and simple where possible. Don't hesitate to hardcode stuff; you can always switch to variables later on, and variable typing as it relates to syntax is often a gotcha.

4. If possible, use the capabilities of plugins liberally. While this makes your macro dependent on a new compile on patch day, you aren't re-inventing the wheel. For example, MQ2MoveUtils is a staple for movement -- coding /moveto loc ## ## is clear and intuitive; let the plugin do the work.

I probably have a few more, and other folks will have their own opinions as well. Hope I didn't confuse matters for you.

Re: self-examination/action, if you are casting (as opposed to using clicky expendables), don't bother to check, just re-cast.

task macro needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back