• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Spell damage (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,031¢
Ok another caster question, is there a point of diminishing returns on Spell Damage. Or just keep piling it on? Also what are the good augs for a caster to make sure they have, even proc augs?

Thanks for the endless wealth here.

No diminishing returns from SD but understanding fully how it functions would be a good thing to understand:

(Cast_Time + Recast_Time) / 7 * Spell_Damage = bonus damage per hit of spell

That damage can't crit, it is just a flat addition to the total damage, and therefore adds very little to the overall total.

So lets say you have 3000 spell damage, your base cast time of a spell is 3 secs, and the recast time of the spell is 4 seconds.

((3+4)/7)*3000=3000 damage added that can't be crit or further modified.

If the cast time were 0.5, and the recast time of the spell is 13.5 seconds:
((0.5+13.5)/7)*3000=6000 damage added that can't be crit or further modified.

That damage can't crit, it is just a flat addition to the total damage, and therefore adds very little to the overall total.
Eltai is spot on here, they kinda missed the mark on the usefulness of spell damage and how it applies - base dmg could have quickly gotten out of control, but i don't know why it exists and yet does so little

It's a little more convoluted than above, but only in the sense that it makes the stat even worse.

Recast=max(Base Recast, Base Refresh) |||| (which recast value is higher?)
Total Cast time = (Base Cast + Recast )

If current_level-spell_level>10, dmg multiplier = 0
If (Total Cast Time < 2.5), DMG Multiplier=0.25.
If (Total Cast time >2.5) & (Total Cast time <7), DMG Multiplier = (0.167*(Total Cast Time - 1)
If (Total Cast time >=7), DMG Multiplier = (Total Cast Time / 7)

Additional DMG = trunc(DMG Multiplier * Spell DMG Stat)

When spell damage first came out, it was fun because a lot of the spells that trigger off base spell casts had dummy 100 second cast times, which artificially increased the multiplier those spells receive. Rangers and Druids had very strong benefit from chain casting their Summers lines at that point.

Your single biggest increase is going to be from focus effects and aa lines. After that it is a matter of do I die because I got smacked or got aed or dotted and do I run low or out of mana (heroic and just raw gear upgrades).

WOW, I am lost lol, so doesn't really matter that much, just go for focus and other items then?
Essentially they're trying to normalize the bonus based on the cast and recast times of spells. So spells that can be spammed quickly over and over get a small bonus and spells that you can only cast a few times per minute get a bigger bonus. But it doesn't matter. You're not going to stack spell dmg and suddenly be dropping nuclear bombs. But since nearly all gear choices in the modern game come with spell damage, you're at best going to be looking at 10's of spell damage overall difference if you choose all of the top spell damage options for each slot. The only thing it really matters for is padding your Magelo profile for internet points.

Question - Spell damage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back