• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Strategy - Some helpful wiz tips (1 Viewer)

shearhack

RedCents
428¢
I was looking for some helpful tips on wiz spells and thought i might share with the rest of you all in case you were wondering as well...

• Shock spells (single target, direct damage) are going to be your bread and butter throughout your wizarding career. These spells are the most mana efficient as far as burning one target down at a time (which is how most targets are dealt with).
  • Bolt spells are very long range, single-target direct damage spells. These are great for when you're meditating up on a hill near a zone wall and want to hit an orc that's outside shock spell range. They're also good for targets that can run fast, like shamans, as they can get out of shock range really fast. One of the downsides to using bolts on long-range targets is that the target might walk behind something, which ends up blocking the shot and wasting mana.
Area Of Effect:

• Rains: Hit your target's location with a number of "waves" of damage. The number of waves that will hit depend on the number of npcs in the location, up to four targets:
    • 4 targets = 1 Wave of damage per target
    • 3 targets = 1 Wave of damage per target + 1 wave of damage on an additional target
    • 2 targets = 2 waves of damage per target
    • 1 target = 3 waves of damage
      • This is the most efficient use of rain spells, however each wave acts like a "hit" which can break a root spell, thus making higher damage single-target nukes a better option.
  • Pillars/Columns: These are essentially AoE versions of your shock spells, doing a single blast of direct damage. These are the meat and potatoes of "quad-kiting", where you have a movement speed buff, like Spirit of the Wolf, and four targets chasing you. By turning in large circles you can group them all up so that hitting one hits them all.
  • Al'kabor spells: SUCK! These are similar to pillar/column spells, but they hit a much larger radius. The mana cost for that additional range is incredibly high, making these spells useless for the most part.
    • Low-level Al'kabor spells can be useful for pulling entire camps/rooms of targets if you're feeling cheeky.
  • Point-Blank: These are AoE blasts, similar to the column/pillar spells, but centered on you. This is the meat and potatoes of "point-blank groups", where you have a couple of wizards casting these while you have 1-2 enchanters casting their color flux spells to stun everything nearby, and probably a cleric for spot healing and pulling. The puller runs around a dungeon and gets about 20-80+ mobs, then runs them all back to the enchanters who keep them all stunned while the wizards blast everything. This is the best way to level.
You might want to use your shielding spells while soloing or in small groups. You might want to use some resistance buffs that you'll be getting in your teen levels. Other than those, the only other spells you will use a lot are your gates and portals.

hope this helps everyone out a lil stay frosty!

Rains are awesome. But if your running full groups with CC you need to have conditions set to handle that or you will break mez. Draughts used to be the bread and butter back in PoP Era, but pretty sure they were replaced with shocks moving forward. Not a lot has really changed. In lower 110s I was having overnuke and mana issues, but finally got tweaked as he got AA etc.

I was looking for some helpful tips on wiz spells and thought i might share with the rest of you all in case you were wondering as well...

• Shock spells (single target, direct damage) are going to be your bread and butter throughout your wizarding career. These spells are the most mana efficient as far as burning one target down at a time (which is how most targets are dealt with).
  • Bolt spells are very long range, single-target direct damage spells. These are great for when you're meditating up on a hill near a zone wall and want to hit an orc that's outside shock spell range. They're also good for targets that can run fast, like shamans, as they can get out of shock range really fast. One of the downsides to using bolts on long-range targets is that the target might walk behind something, which ends up blocking the shot and wasting mana.
Area Of Effect:

• Rains: Hit your target's location with a number of "waves" of damage. The number of waves that will hit depend on the number of npcs in the location, up to four targets:
    • 4 targets = 1 Wave of damage per target
    • 3 targets = 1 Wave of damage per target + 1 wave of damage on an additional target
    • 2 targets = 2 waves of damage per target
    • 1 target = 3 waves of damage
      • This is the most efficient use of rain spells, however each wave acts like a "hit" which can break a root spell, thus making higher damage single-target nukes a better option.
  • Pillars/Columns: These are essentially AoE versions of your shock spells, doing a single blast of direct damage. These are the meat and potatoes of "quad-kiting", where you have a movement speed buff, like Spirit of the Wolf, and four targets chasing you. By turning in large circles you can group them all up so that hitting one hits them all.
  • Al'kabor spells: SUCK! These are similar to pillar/column spells, but they hit a much larger radius. The mana cost for that additional range is incredibly high, making these spells useless for the most part.
    • Low-level Al'kabor spells can be useful for pulling entire camps/rooms of targets if you're feeling cheeky.
  • Point-Blank: These are AoE blasts, similar to the column/pillar spells, but centered on you. This is the meat and potatoes of "point-blank groups", where you have a couple of wizards casting these while you have 1-2 enchanters casting their color flux spells to stun everything nearby, and probably a cleric for spot healing and pulling. The puller runs around a dungeon and gets about 20-80+ mobs, then runs them all back to the enchanters who keep them all stunned while the wizards blast everything. This is the best way to level.
You might want to use your shielding spells while soloing or in small groups. You might want to use some resistance buffs that you'll be getting in your teen levels. Other than those, the only other spells you will use a lot are your gates and portals.

hope this helps everyone out a lil stay frosty!
This is to like level 65 right? =-/

This is to like level 65 right? =-/
Sounds about right! Oh, the fun of solo kiting 4 wyverns in Cobalt Scar and watching the levels melt (well, back then) compared with lots of other classes trying to solo. However, the same holds true now as it did then, use an AE in group=death. Wizzies were a pretty highly sought after class back then if you knew how to avoid pulling agro and especially if you were one of the ones who obtained the runes and made the spell "Ice Comet". Maybe the same exists on tlp now, not sure.

guess i shoulda mentioned my wiz is currently like 55 with little gear lol but i found this to be helpful up till then ill have to report back when i get to some of the higher levels it was my first time using a wiz in my groups and wasnt completely sure how all the aoe stuff worked like pillars columns and rain spells.

Sounds about right! Oh, the fun of solo kiting 4 wyverns in Cobalt Scar and watching the levels melt (well, back then) compared with lots of other classes trying to solo. However, the same holds true now as it did then, use an AE in group=death. Wizzies were a pretty highly sought after class back then if you knew how to avoid pulling agro and especially if you were one of the ones who obtained the runes and made the spell "Ice Comet". Maybe the same exists on tlp now, not sure.
Back in the day, as a druid that quad-kited my way to 60, wizards were my nemesis :)

Wyverns, wizzies were there...
Othmir, wizzies were there...
Raptors, wizzies etc..

Made some good friends though during the downtime. It's a shame when I read that they're not played much in live nowadays.

Strategy - Some helpful wiz tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back