• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

So, the WoW 2.0.1 patch came out today... (1 Viewer)

Lesson25

RedCents
...for all of y'all that have been in a cave. I've been unable to obtain a precise list of all the changes--the download manager only showcases the recent changes, & Blizzard didn't care to post the details on their webpage. However, I can tell you what I details about this patch that I've come to realize through my own observations. First off, implementing it necessitates taking all the servers offline for twelve I mean sixteen I mean eighteen hours. Second, it broke all my addons. Third, involves some type of new arena-BG that was the showcase of the patch, but apparently it wasn't working properly b/c they had to take it out at the last minute. Forth, it prompts ill-informed characters to ask noobish questions like "where do we turn in our BG tokens?" (I tell them LHC in EPL.) And finally, it involves a slew of changes to the talent-trees...which seem to have empowered every other player I know, but weakened my own abilities.

Now, I consider myself to be "good" at video games--not insanely, Korean-like good, but definately above average. I have good hand-eye coordination; I read strats & stats posts by other players, & I try to understand game-mechanics to better make game decisions. However I am getting TOTALLY PWNED at teh PvP, & I can't figure out why. I play a priest exclusively; I have fair gear (blue PvP & some BWL epics), & I've even taken up a fierce 41-shadow build this patch. However, I've found since the patch I loose almost every duel & get consistently worked in BGs, & I can't figure out why. And this fact annoys me to no end. I've tried taking up a "PvP" shadow-based build. I've tried both wearing high stam gear & high +dmg gear. I've tried running around in shadowform & doing straight damage, & I've tried running around w/o shadowform doing a more defensive (self-healing) approach. I've tried blowing my CCs upfront & I've tried using them conservatively. However after a fierce three hour session of nothing but duels & BGs, I find myself feeling like I am the worst player on the server.

Is anyone else having some...post-2.0 blues? :-/

European servers are still down, cry, and they extended the down time with 2 hours (so expected that)

I respecced my rogue to my old PvP build (cold blood/prep I was combat daggers before the patch for raiding) forgoing all of the new talents. My gear is all tier 2 or better, maexxna's fang mainhand. I ran a few BGs last night and 1v1 I still seem to slaughter just about anyone I get the drop on and probably 70% of the folks I don't. So I don't think I really got nerfed too much by anything in the patch. I still seem to get raped in situations where multiple folks are attacking me. This is pretty much how it was the last time I PvPed actively as well so not much seems to be different. It may just be that I am not really making use of any of the new talents.

I may toy around with the new talents a bit more once I get around to farming up enough cash for multiple respecs. For now I will probably just be farming up honor for a few weapons to toy around with. My offhand (cht) is ugly so I need a shinier one! And who doesn't love purple armor?!?!

I ended up sticking with a demonology build for my lock, went from 17/34/0 to 7/44/0. Felguard + all the bonus damage talents and soul link puts me at about +200 shadow damage and just over a 10% crit chance with crappy gear. Even at only 10%, I'm still gettin 1200 crits almost every other SB I throw if not every 3rd one, plus the dots, plus the felguard attacking. I'm topping the damage charts in all my groups, and the tank says I make his job more fun. And my gear is really shitty, I only have 4.5k health and just under 6k mana unbuffed and I'm still using the soul harvester, just cause it's the best looking weapon in the game, especially on undead.

Meh. The only classes I've lvled to 60 were Warrior and Warlock, and then my account got banned. So I started a new one, but only have a 12 Priest, 11 mage, and 6 Lock. I am trying to focus on lvling my priest since the guild needs some healing love, but I really want to go lvl my lock, and try out the felgaurd. Is it worth 41 talent points? I used to play the old SM/Ruin build lock, and loved it, but if the damage output of the Felgaurd is enough to hold hate off of me, so i can spam my dots and SBs, I'll gladly invest the points into it. Just curious to find out from any other locks if it's worth it.

Well my felguard has no trouble keeping aggro off me, before I bought his skills it took to the 2nd or 3rd SB to pull aggro off him, which was usually 2 crits, and by that time would leave whatever I'm killing almost dead anyhow. At that time he was at 100dps. Last thing I did last night was buy his skills so now he has a taunt and some other things so I'll find out tonight if he does any better. I hear you on the alts though, I have a 44 warrior, 40 hunter, 30 rogue, 28 druid, 28 priest, and a 26 shaman all on the same server as my lock.

So far from what I've seen Locks, Hunters, and Shadow priests got the biggest buffs (I'd personally say pallies as well but i haven't fought any to judge that on... Horde would prolly agree pallies are now even more overpowered now) But the only class i had trouble on 1v1 was locks...

Priests are always a pain in the ass and normally the biggest potwhores I've found (Battlegroup 6, Runetotem) Ones who know how to play are rare... but with the new pally talents centering around 41 point crusader strike, anyone who spec's that way gets Repentance and the second stun with Hammer of Justice (well GG healers) only the ones willing to suck it up and mana burn and let someone else do the dps have given me trouble. Some though have been critting upwards of 1.5k... and the dots are horrendous... had my ass bleeding since the patch.

Warlocks have all specc'd for the felgaurd I've seen and it tears apart clothies and the charge is BRUTAL... I've already had enough of them to cry nerf. But I am already aquiesced to the fact it will never happen due to Blizzard's perpetual hard-on for warlocks. They haven't yet got the soul link nerf patched in but as in the test realms it will be dropped from 30% to 20% to mitigate the ZOMG overpowered l33tness of it all.

Mages... Nothing new or impressive there though i have seen elementals really jacking up some less well geared players

Warriors... lol, don't make me... you serious? Ok, fine... GARBAGE, I'm a pally though so i never had trouble...

Rogue's nothing new or impressive here, all depends on the talent/gear of that rogue, and who gets the drop on who. I no longer have reckoning for rogue-bombing but consecration rank 1 makes rogues a joke in AB...

Hunters, still not really a DPS class but some of their skills are absolute retardation... coupled with the fact that my UI now hates me... I had a few problems until i remembered blessing of freedom... Silencing shot makes it worth the points for a PvP'r but i don't know enough about hunters or their CD's to suggest anything one way or the other, I just know hunters are dumb and their traps are gei, The trap effects now persist way longer as well which is a gigantic pain in the ass.

Shaman's: Rockbiter got nerfed... but you know... who the fuck uses rockbiter anyway? Windfury got buffed and Shammie's got dualwield... Let's give them pets and call them shamlock's... fucking christ... all in all though, Shaman's are still played by 12 yr olds with downs syndrome, so it's not that bad...

***YAY Purge FROSTSHOCK Purge Stormstrike Purge Earthshock YAY!!!***

A smart shaman still goes with a big slow 2h or a high +spell dmg 1h and shield... dual wield shamans are a joke anyway...

Druids: Ok the only good druid is one who only runs the flag and never enters another BG unless it's to buff me and AFK out... That being said... The fuckers can now live forever, if your content to live as a tree... (I use a big scary mace,*herald of WHOA* which on this forum might as well be an axe) I haven't had any problems with them cuz they all now think they can DPS, now that they have (1?) rogue ability... fuck if i know... druids are retarded

Paladins: Ommigod did we get buffed... for those who don't play pallies... Crusader strike is a +spell dmg based Melee attack that deals everything as holy damage... judge of crusader now adds to every classes chance to crit you... and the spell dmg mechanics mean regular two handed melee procs for us can now crit at around 1.2k holy dmg... + physical dmg and instant cast CRUSADER STRIKE... I fucking love it, not to mention the free mana we get back (8% of the total amount healed) everytime another player heals us...

Hope this covers it...

My paladin friends seemed quite happy with their changes. I haven't had any problems with Shamans and Druids but then I am a rogue as soon as a druid pops out of bear form to heal I cut him in half. What happened to the druids who used to moonfire spam me? Them trying to melee me is hilarious. Same with shammies. Unless they get some insanely lucky 2h windfury crit I am going to rape them.

Locks and warriors are probably still my biggest problem. Locks of the retarded "I GOT A FELGUARD WUWUWU" variety tend to be cake. Conflag locks as always are fucking evil. Warriors just have too many damned hp, way too much AC, and still hit as hard as I do. If they resist my stuns and poison or parry a gouge I am typically fucked. I am a dagger rogue though, combat rogues have a much easier time with warriors. AR with two high damage swords kicks ass. This of course is not much different than before the patch.

Shadowpriests are ugly as well but 1v1 I can typically take them. My damage output is still pretty high even with their reduction and between the PvP trinket and all of my cooldowns and lockdown abilities they just can't keep me off of them long enough to kill me.

Mages and hunters are typically pretty damned easy especially now that hunters can't just trap me like mad. I still think my favorite pvp kill is when you land both a crit ambush and backstab on a mage, they frost nova you and blink away with 10% hp thinking they have won... And then you pop them for 500 with your gun/bow. So amusing.

Other rogues it's always a matter of who gets the first shot and if they get it whether or not I can get a blind or vanish off before they kill me. I hit leather nearly as hard as cloth so chewing through rogues isn't too bad.

So far I am at around 5700 honor. GD work taking away from my epix grind! Had some amusing times PvPing last night. Started out with a group of 4 rogues for a few BGs. Hilarious focus firing people w/ 3-4 rogues. We picked up a couple of paladins a mage and a lock later and didn't lose any games (WSG) after that. Hopefully I should have a GM dagger by this weekend or early next week at the latest.

...for all of y'all that have been in a cave. I've been unable to obtain a precise list of all the changes--the download manager only showcases the recent changes, & Blizzard didn't care to post the details on their webpage. However, I can tell you what I details about this patch that I've come to realize through my own observations. First off, implementing it necessitates taking all the servers offline for twelve I mean sixteen I mean eighteen hours. Second, it broke all my addons. Third, involves some type of new arena-BG that was the showcase of the patch, but apparently it wasn't working properly b/c they had to take it out at the last minute. Forth, it prompts ill-informed characters to ask noobish questions like "where do we turn in our BG tokens?" (I tell them LHC in EPL.) And finally, it involves a slew of changes to the talent-trees...which seem to have empowered every other player I know, but weakened my own abilities.

Now, I consider myself to be "good" at video games--not insanely, Korean-like good, but definately above average. I have good hand-eye coordination; I read strats & stats posts by other players, & I try to understand game-mechanics to better make game decisions. However I am getting TOTALLY PWNED at teh PvP, & I can't figure out why. I play a priest exclusively; I have fair gear (blue PvP & some BWL epics), & I've even taken up a fierce 41-shadow build this patch. However, I've found since the patch I loose almost every duel & get consistently worked in BGs, & I can't figure out why. And this fact annoys me to no end. I've tried taking up a "PvP" shadow-based build. I've tried both wearing high stam gear & high +dmg gear. I've tried running around in shadowform & doing straight damage, & I've tried running around w/o shadowform doing a more defensive (self-healing) approach. I've tried blowing my CCs upfront & I've tried using them conservatively. However after a fierce three hour session of nothing but duels & BGs, I find myself feeling like I am the worst player on the server.

Is anyone else having some...post-2.0 blues? :-/

Shadow Priests got a very small DPS boost and no new survivability. Pretty much everyone else got a huge DPS boost. Marks Hunters and Ret Paladins are particularly scary. This is not a good time to be a soft target. I just speced Discipline and have been giggling at Reflective Shield. Its not that good but its fun to watch all the little baby smites all over the place.

Yeah; a slight update from my personal viewpoint: I've found if I try to put on the most +damage gear I have & play extremely offensive (staying in shadowform constantly; using silence & fear ASAP instead of trying to keep them in-case-of-emergency; blowing lots of MBs; PW:S constantlyl; etc) I can at least make the fight "fair". I do agree that survavibility has disintegrated which makes me very sad--priests' biggest asset (IMHO) is their ability to "outlast" their opponents through healing, mana-efficiency, & mana-regen. Now though I feel like a warlock w/o a pet or deathcoil. :-/

Looking through most of the stuff it seems like PvE wise rogues took a bit of a nerf but I dunno how well any of the new talents work in PvP. I've seen a few people bitching about cloak of shadows. *shrug*

Looking through most of the stuff it seems like PvE wise rogues took a bit of a nerf but I dunno how well any of the new talents work in PvP. I've seen a few people bitching about cloak of shadows. *shrug*

I love mutilate in pvp, combo generation is through the roof. Cloak of shadows, seen it but havent heard much about it.

I've seen a few people bitching about cloak of shadows. *shrug*

Lol yeah; I have yet to even come close to beating any rogue that busts CloS on me. Imagine trying to beat an opponent who can keep you CCed 80% of the time and now has a 90% chance of resisting all your attacks, & can instantly erase any debuffs you managed to put on him during the 20% of the time you WEREN'T stunned. It sounds more like a epic quest than an evenly matched duel. :D

I'm thinking I may need to camp out for a Tidal Charm ( http://www.thottbot.com/?i=4714 ) now!

Alright so for you locks out there wondering about the felguard. Yes it has no trouble whatsoever keeping aggro. Plus all the added damage means you can drop mobs one after another with little to no rest. Used it for about 2 hours last night and even after 3 consecutive SB crits for 1100+ damage, the thing still held aggro. With low end level 60 gear and the right demonology talents, with the felguard and soul link, i have 200+ bonus spell damage, plus more for shadow spells, and the fel has about 115dps meaning soloing level 60 elites is cakewalk. Haven't tried using it in pvp yet but in a group, the sacrafice buff works wonders. +10% shadow damage and 2% of mana restored every 4 sec. means you can just use COA and SB and top the damage charts without having to stop to drink, or running out of mana in the middle of a fight.

The felguard doesn't really seem that good in PvP or maybe all the locks with it I bump into are just retards. The charge stun seems a little annoying I guess when you include it with the other CC a lock has but really I think the succ or felhound is still probably better for PvP.

The damage reduction thing that priests have now is pretty damned annoying. I think it's a disc talent? *shrug*

The damage reduction thing that priests have now is pretty damned annoying. I think it's a disc talent? *shrug*

It's actually pretty lame IMHO. It only lasts for 8 seconds, 3 min CD, it's a holy spell that must be cast, & it's a magic buff. If you can purge magics, just purge it. If you are expecting it, try to lock out his holy disciplines with a pummel/CS/kick/earthshock beforehand. If you can't prevent it & can't remove it, just wait it out--preferably while keeping the priest CCed or otherwise preventing him from healing (again locking his holy disciplines). If you want to be really crafty, install Natur cast bar & perfectly time your attack so he gets blasted the second the buff wears off.

I would have to agree about the Succy and Felhunter being beter for PVP, but I don't think that the Felguard was made for pvp. It does do nice damage for a pet but with the talents it has, it would best be used as a tank for soloing. I would say if i did use it for pvp, i'd start with fear, drop the dots, and cast soul fire (our big 6 second cast) and that should break the fear, then send in the guard to intercept to stun while i cast SB, and by then you'd probably be dead. if not, then try some more fear or insta cast void for the sheild and keep casting sb

It's actually pretty lame IMHO. It only lasts for 8 seconds, 3 min CD, it's a holy spell that must be cast, & it's a magic buff. If you can purge magics, just purge it. If you are expecting it, try to lock out his holy disciplines with a pummel/CS/kick/earthshock beforehand. If you can't prevent it & can't remove it, just wait it out--preferably while keeping the priest CCed or otherwise preventing him from healing (again locking his holy disciplines). If you want to be really crafty, install Natur cast bar & perfectly time your attack so he gets blasted the second the buff wears off.

If it was just me vs the priest it really wouldn't be an issue I could just blind them and stand there watching them until it wore off and the continue the beatdown. Where I see it being used effectively is in the middle of a big clusterfuck of 8 or so people where I need to rape a priest and rape them quick before the melee classes get a chance to beat me down and they pop that shit I'm pretty much fucked because then I can't outdamage their healing or whoever may be healing them. 1v1 it would take a pretty geared holy/disc priest to kill me.

On the felguard I think it's probably pretty effective on cloth and pretty annoying for anyone who has to cast. I haven't PvPed on my priest in many months though so I dunno first hand. For me it's more like an irritating stun up front and then just a small dot beyond that. I think the problem is that most locks have it charge me, then they load up some slow ass casting spell which gives me time to hit sprint and run up and gouge/blind them. Whereas conflag locks typically load up dots, death coil me, nail me with conflag and then run around until the dots finish me. Even if I catch up to them locks typically have enough hp that I die before I finish them.

If it was just me vs the priest it really wouldn't be an issue I could just blind them and stand there watching them until it wore off and the continue the beatdown. Where I see it being used effectively is in the middle of a big clusterfuck of 8 or so people where I need to rape a priest and rape them quick before the melee classes get a chance to beat me down and they pop that shit I'm pretty much fucked because then I can't outdamage their healing or whoever may be healing them. 1v1 it would take a pretty geared holy/disc priest to kill me.

LOL ok yes I guess in that situation where you are trying to inflitrate a crowd of people & get a quick kill on a clothie & your teammates can't/won't purge it for you & you can't stop him from getting health back (either your kick was resisted or there's a second healer) & you're are outnumbered (or at least being focus-fired by multiple opponents) so you can't out wait it & you can't/won't change targets, then I could see how that particular situation would be problematic.

Haha it sounds rather specific but it happens a lot and it's a lot harder to get kicks and such off on the right spells when you are in a massive clusterhump of people and can't really see what color the person's hands are. I wouldn't really mention it except that it's happened to me like 5 times in the last 3 nights.

The problem is with geared priests really. 8 seconds of me doing shit damage to them while their renew ticks for 4-500+, they flash heal for 1200+ and still have a happy little pw:s to fall back on is ugly. Especially while I am taking dmg from their buddies. Rogues are a little on the fragile side in group vs group action. *shrug*

My hunter no longer gets butterflies in his nelfy tummy from locks and mages, and I can now quickly down them thnx to the new silencing shot.
Rogues are a "tiny" bit trickier now, but still squishy beyond reason. Those poor fellas needs some mail. But the ice trap nerf isn't to shabby, just have to plan the trap a bit better, or do some stratigic kiting. *shrug*
And I'm having a great time with my lock...may have to make that lil bastard my main.

The problem is with geared priests really. 8 seconds of me doing shit damage to them while their renew ticks for 4-500+, they flash heal for 1200+ and still have a happy little pw:s to fall back on is ugly. Especially while I am taking dmg from their buddies. Rogues are a little on the fragile side in group vs group action. *shrug*

To be honest, I don't even wear my T2 in BGs b/c that takes my unbuffed HP down to <4k. I have T2 & blue PvP-set, & usually go for the blue set just for the extra stam b/c a good rogue can cheap-shot + kidney-shot & do 4k dmg before I can even respond...& even I live, they still have gouge to fall back on. T3 may have more stam; I dunno.

As for timing kicks, I would highly recommend either a enemy castbar addon or a spell alert addon. I use both. :D

So, the WoW 2.0.1 patch came out today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back