• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - so leveling up 20 or so alts at once and had a question (1 Viewer)

MadaSnave

RedCents
638¢
right now I've been leveling them in groups of 5 with a throwaway bard added in to just sk pl via ds. i tried the DSH zone with the oil of fennin ro potions but lol they got resisted to hell so all of em got leveled to 20 when the bard got the golden pickaxe and started pulling 12's at a time (most I can see on target list) and hitting each before sk ds'es and sits and repeat. but I just made a group of 5 druids and... 12 mages, and 1 bard and am trying to do them as a raid while leveling them. so far only issue is really slow exp due to bard having to be able to land songs on the mobs or pull only 12 at a time. is there a bonus at to exp for killing higher level mobs using the golden pickaxe to do the 1 damage and only pulling 12 at a time or should I just keep mass pulling lower levels to get the group up. I don't care how long it takes its just a project while I am at home sick at this point, but advise is always appreciated.

Solution
raid xp is super slow, you're probably not going to have a great time.

for xp you always want to go for kills per hour, in a regular group you'd want something like dark blue mobs per hour as a metric --- for PLing it isn't too dissimilar, keep in mind there is a per kill xp limit for both regular xp and AA - so trying to go too high is just going to get resists and longer kills meaning less kills per hour.
raid xp is super slow, you're probably not going to have a great time.

for xp you always want to go for kills per hour, in a regular group you'd want something like dark blue mobs per hour as a metric --- for PLing it isn't too dissimilar, keep in mind there is a per kill xp limit for both regular xp and AA - so trying to go too high is just going to get resists and longer kills meaning less kills per hour.

Solution
This is what I did on one group to PL them all. One of the PLee toons used a macro to cycle through all targets and hit them one time each. I let 2 cycles go through while mobs were trying to hit Sk, then DS after the 2nd cycle for all toons in that group to get exp. I was pulling a ton of mobs at a time that were all social, non ae casters so my PLee toon didn't get hit by something and die. I didn't use the pickaxe, because it never gave me the option when I did it for the one toon, so said screw it. Simple dagger worked fine. I also kept the mobs at yellow/slightly red conns aand would stay there until light blue hit, then move on to a new spot.

This is what I did on one group to PL them all. One of the PLee toons used a macro to cycle through all targets and hit them one time each. I let 2 cycles go through while mobs were trying to hit Sk, then DS after the 2nd cycle for all toons in that group to get exp. I was pulling a ton of mobs at a time that were all social, non ae casters so my PLee toon didn't get hit by something and die. I didn't use the pickaxe, because it never gave me the option when I did it for the one toon, so said screw it. Simple dagger worked fine. I also kept the mobs at yellow/slightly red conns aand would stay there until light blue hit, then move on to a new spot.
fyi the trick with the pickaxe is to get the third quest and then stop. If you complete that quest, you lose it (he gives it to you as the first part of the quest). I definitely didn't forget that the last time I did it a couple months ago and have to redo the whole thing on another toon, nope no sirree not me 🙃

fyi the trick with the pickaxe is to get the third quest and then stop. If you complete that quest, you lose it (he gives it to you as the first part of the quest). I definitely didn't forget that the last time I did it a couple months ago and have to redo the whole thing on another toon, nope no sirree not me 🙃
Ahhh...that makes sense. I might redo it then. TY for the tip!

can you recommend a macro for the cycling? and yeah vie done hatchery loads of times. this is just my first time to try to do mass pling lol, I still don't know all the tricks the big power level players use on FV to do a whole group outside the fighting groups and them getting 350+ aa's per hour. I know I don't have the set up or experience for that only have the 110sk to level the group right now. but was figuring if I could get a big group I could do progression through old raids that I didn't get to see back when i was playing in 02-05.

my normal pl was just doing tutorial tell level 10 then cr tell 23 or so then moores tell 30's com tell 46 poi tell 58 and bot tell 60 or just dwc tell 65 or so then mechanous as a group with level 85 sk.

btw as a note on the golden pickaxe, when i did the 18 accounts at once, they all got tagged as needing 2 authenification, and it only lets me authenticate so many accounts at once locking out after like 5 accounts and then letting me do like 5 more a few hours later. one account i forgot to fix was the bard with the golden pickaxe.. which i got on my sk. droped 3rd quest and hailed npc got anotehr pickaxe. i dont know if the old one will still be on bard but... this might be a little bit of an exploate that shouldnt be overly abused... (ps if some one wants to block this due to that i am ok with this message being deleted by moderators).

What's so good about The Golden Pick? I looked it up and it appears to be a lowish level quest.
Is it for the proc? 1 damage DD? Looks like it has a -500 resist adjust, but also appears to be a single target DD.
It doesn't miss. Used in conjunction with hitall.mac it's pretty nice way to PL toons with no AoE abilities.
PLUS it is the golden pick - not the wood/dirt/tears pick!

Have you tried Hatchery.mac its an awesome PL place - though there are some reports it got nerfed.

Follow the instructions and you may be able to get up to around lvl 70 fairly easy.
I believe they nerfed the XP from hatchery, I tried to use it recently and it went from 1-60 in a day to maybe 10 lvls a day

I personally make a throw away bard for every PL group I'm going to do just because they are so easy. I also use my high level shammy to malo everything to make sure bard hits everything quickly

My current method is SK dmg shield using honed wurmslayer
1-12 icefall glacial turn in
12-~22 i like to mass pull crescent reach but only if people aren't lvling by themselves or grouped in the over then skele tombs
~22-~33 the undead tower in blightfire moors, it's super fast respawn
Old school velks after that will easily get you up to 57
Then I have an old heroic monk that I hit 87 with messing around and he groups with them (replaced the bard at this point) in direwind and murders anywhere in that zone fully buffed

I kind of stall out however when I get them to mid 70s direwind starts to slow down and I have yet to find a way to quickly boost them to 80 to get them in groups with my 110s in EoK zones for easy 10% per kill XP. I use fellowships to my advantage since the groups get broken down at this point and so the they can all catch up quickly.

If anyone has any suggestions for 75-80 I'd love to know, that is my big pain point right now

kelset, currently i took 5 level 52 druids and 1 level 46 bard to mechanotus and pulled about 50 mobs got the bard to level 56 and the druids to 59 on the first pull. might not get you to 80 but the sk only took damage from one mob on that first pull.

kelset, currently i took 5 level 52 druids and 1 level 46 bard to mechanotus and pulled about 50 mobs got the bard to level 56 and the druids to 59 on the first pull. might not get you to 80 but the sk only took damage from one mob on that first pull.
Thanks MadaSnave, I've had my friends do fort mech before when i was just getting back into the game but i haven't been back since, i'll have to give it a go next round of characters i level up

I know this thread is a month old at this point, but I've PLed some of my own groups after leveling my main group and back at the 110 level cap, I'd run my SHD (main group tank) to Mecho right in the middle of the metal field in the middle, lower part of the map (near elevators up into the fort). This avoids mob paths and gives me 3 directions to make huge pulls from. It takes a while to get groups back to your main group because the map is huge and mobs lag like crazy when you have a train of 70 running your way. With Honed Wurmslayer, the only mobs that hit through the damage block are rogues while you're sitting to let everything die to your DS. It's definitely slower than ~60 - 65 & 66 ~ 70 at DSH Farm & Mino camps, but I think that's just the nature of leveling slowing down as you hit the modern era of EQ (79 & 80 are particularly painful as mobs are then mostly dark blue). Unlike DSH, which is still a relatively popular leveling spot, I have rarely ever seen other people in Mecho and it looks like they're typically just passing through to the next zone for HZ quests. There's nothing suspicious about your group sitting not doing anything while you're manually rounding up mobs with your tank then AEing with 1 character in the PLEE group.

Round up big block of mobs from S/E/W. Stay close enough to keep them all interested in SHD and wrangled up in 1 big group, which again is hilarious and tough due to mob lag. Pop any trailing casters with agro spells at range. Get the group close enough to my PLEEs, pop AE agro on cluster and /bct BRD/CLR/WIZ/etc. to throw out AOE damage. Spam sit to let mobs die to DS, AE agro for fun. The only damage getting through would be rogue mobs backstabbing me in excess of the HW blocked damage. This would get my group to 80 at which point I could just make a PL group and out of group helper set in ST or GMM to grind out 110 in group. and then it was just a camping trip to ST or GMM to get 110.

Next time I do this, I'll figure on hitting HOT T3 zones to push to 85.

Quick tip to avoid riposte while HW is equipped - can't riposte while ducking.

Last edited:
I testbuff to 25 (yes test server is the best). And kill rats and shrubs in the zone before goru kar. Than go to goru kar at 32. Goru kar to 46.POI TO 60 pofire to 70. Fort mech to 80 than group with my 110 sk to 90. Than my 120 sk to 110. 25-70 takes about 2 hrs on test thanks to the level buff and exp bonus

Question - so leveling up 20 or so alts at once and had a question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back