• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

slow (1 Viewer)

bartab

RedCents
funny how slow my chars are when i play them on my laptop

they are not on a walk mode, nor encumbered so I don't know what can cause that, appart from a plugin loaded or maybe the perf of my laptop : I run EQ with WineQ2.0 and usually have someting like 10% RAM available...

what else could cause that slow motion.. ?

Sometimes I get the slow motion as well. I think I've had it even without MQ2 and without WinEQ loaded. Even with /speed on it only helps a little bit. If someone knows what causes this and how to fix I would love to know.

More information is needed. What is your packet rate? What is the ping time? Here is some info on ip address for sony/eq that I found.

The EverQuest server IP addresses are on the subnets:
64.37.148.* , 64.37.149.* , 64.37.150.* , 64.37.151.* , 64.37.156.* , 64.37.157.* , 195.33.132.*, 195.33.108.*, 195.33.133.*, 199.108.1.*, 199.108.2*, 199.108.3.* 199.108.4*, 199.108.5*, 199.108.13*, 199.108.9*, 199.108.15*

Yep copy/paste.

Pcpitstop.com can test your connection speed. Just do not do it when internet is at high usage. Off hours works best.

You need to eliminate connection issues b4 you go on to next possibility. What all do you have running on the pc? (ctrl-alt-del) Although I am sure you have check that.

That is where I would start.

Lady_Of_Old

maybe I should add that this slow motion is visible only on my laptop, while on my regular pc other toons are ok at the same time.
so maybe it comes from my wireless router, how can I test it ?

Only 10% RAM avialable or used? Only having 10% free on a laptop is a big issue. My guess, without being able to look at you system is that your RAM is the first place to look. RAM usage goes up and down only having 10% free is not good. You have both EQ and Windows has issues with memory. Something that you can do to battle this is use a program that monitors and clears out unused RAM. Windows has a bad habit of keeping programs in your RAM (MS says that they did it so that in case you want to run it again later it will open faster, but everyone knows that it was done that way because MS devs used to work for SONY and they don't know shit about programming).

Use this to manage your RAM Maxmem

EDIT: If you want more troubleshooting we need amount of RAM, CPU model and speed, HDD size/avail memory, model of your laptop would help too.

I think your problem may come from the throttling of your laptop's processor to conserve battery power.....I am not sure, but there is probably a way to lock your laptop at a certain speed, and maybe fix it. I seem to recall someone posting a few months ago that they could actually speed up EQ on their laptop by increasing the processor speed. If you can find that post, maybe it would clue you into how to fix your problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop. 1.5 gig processor and 512 mb of ram. Using windows xp. It has a 60gig hard drive.

I also use a dsl connection with a wireless router for laptop, but like the other user having this problem, it does not happen on my desktop. I'm plugging laptop directly to the wall so it shouldn't be the battery.

Sometimes my ram is low, mainly when loading up EQ, but most of the time it's between 20-50% free. Right now, i have 51% available ram and it's slow motion moving.

Alot of problems here.
1.5gig processor: I notice a huge difference between my 3.4, 3.0 and 2.4 machines. For instance in HS I have no problem levitating and running from the pot over to the east door on the 3.4. On the 3.0 I have to make sure that I am at the top of the prongs and run a direct line or I fall too much to make the crossing. The 2.4 just wont do it no matter what I try.
Ram: 512 is barely acceptable in almost any game nowadays while running in windows. 1gig or better 2gig makes a huge difference. When your ram is busy windows uses your hard drive as virtual ram. Since most laptop drives are 5400RPM, have little or no cashe, and have pretty slow throughputs this makes averything take a dive.
SIS video card: Pretty crappy card for high end type games. Try turning off luclin models, drop clipping plane and graphics under your eq option tab and try again.

Basically it sounds like your trying to run on a machine that just doesnt cut it.

btw what can also change your speed issue is that when you first start eq you're computer is going fast, then if you make something slow it down, you will see yourself moving as slow as can be. it can also be used the other way too. If you make something slow your computer down then log into eq before letting your computer run at a normal speed, everything will go super fast (including your buff timers)

If you make something slow your computer down then log into eq before letting your computer run at a normal speed, everything will go super fast (including your buff timers)

If buff timers speed up using the method siddin mention, could you use the opposite to slow buff timers down(extend buffs). I box with 3 diff computers and will do some investigation on this. I was just wondering if anyone had any previous experience on how the client side "eq clock" effected things like buff timers, movement rate, attack speed, mob attack speed.......

Eyeknowy

Before you try the speed switch go to your bios and it's around the last tab. There is a power setting tab it to off. Just running from memory, I can look up the exact names if you need. The power setting basically looks at an application and if it isn't taxing the cpu enough cuts the juice to it. The way eq seems to go is when you zone it uses more resources than once you are in zone and everything is settled. It remembers the higher spike in cpu use and considers the "normal" cpu use to be a drop. So it lowers the power to the eq application. Most dell laptops have this issue, I have a maxed out dell xps and until I killed that power setting eq would do the slow motion thing you described. Now I can run 3 accounts on it. Speedswitch will also work but it may be more fix than what you need.

I also play on a dell inspiron 8500 laptop, with a 2.49ghz processor and 1g ram with a 64 meg nvidia to go card. its about 3 years old. It used to play EQ fine but these days every possible option has to be off. I also get the Slow motion bug atleast 1 time a week or so. I have noticed that when i start going in slow mo my fan has kicked into super fast mode and i have to restart a few times. I think dells are a little buggy with there temperature settings. Also since I installed the newest video drives and bios upgrades I get physical memory dumps all the time especially if i try and 2 box. is there any way to go back to a previous version of bios? i went from there Version 2 to version 8

slow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back