• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Skip loot and just go to levels, or Loot for min/max every 5 levels? (1 Viewer)

Shadow

Ultimate seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,002¢
So...1st time around in EQ was an experience and I did a lot of quests. A lot! Gear came ok, some long camps, etc.

2nd time around, I also did content and went for solid gear min/maxing every 5 levels all of the way through 120.

3rd time around is now, I am mid 70's and gear is hard to come by atm. Partly my fault. 2 Plate, 1 Leather, 3 Cloth. I cannot for the life of me, find cloth gear in the Defiant ranges. Ornate and below, no issues. Flawed and above, non-existent on my server. I know I am starting to suffer, but at what point should I stop for gear? I want to take advantage of these exp gains while we have them, but how far can I really go, before I am hurting myself? I do not want to do the TBM progression and remnant grind like I did before. While the gear was nice and upgradeable, it was horrid in the grind. Same with Gribbles. Can I go long enough for Fear Touched? Castaway farming? Did I shoot myself because of the Live server I chose thinking it would be the same as it was a few months ago economy-wise? It isn't anywhere close, as I have noticed 3 well-known guilds have all folded as people all gave up.

Since I am not power-leveling and using all 6 at once, what are reasonable stopping points for gear? I was thinking of maybe hitting HoT for Abstruse farming at 80ish. Fully gearing, then making a push for Fear Touched at 92ish I think? Then skip all of the way to Snowbound.

Thoughts?

So...1st time around in EQ was an experience and I did a lot of quests. A lot! Gear came ok, some long camps, etc.

2nd time around, I also did content and went for solid gear min/maxing every 5 levels all of the way through 120.

3rd time around is now, I am mid 70's and gear is hard to come by atm. Partly my fault. 2 Plate, 1 Leather, 3 Cloth. I cannot for the life of me, find cloth gear in the Defiant ranges. Ornate and below, no issues. Flawed and above, non-existent on my server. I know I am starting to suffer, but at what point should I stop for gear? I want to take advantage of these exp gains while we have them, but how far can I really go, before I am hurting myself? I do not want to do the TBM progression and remnant grind like I did before. While the gear was nice and upgradeable, it was horrid in the grind. Same with Gribbles. Can I go long enough for Fear Touched? Castaway farming? Did I shoot myself because of the Live server I chose thinking it would be the same as it was a few months ago economy-wise? It isn't anywhere close, as I have noticed 3 well-known guilds have all folded as people all gave up.

Since I am not power-leveling and using all 6 at once, what are reasonable stopping points for gear? I was thinking of maybe hitting HoT for Abstruse farming at 80ish. Fully gearing, then making a push for Fear Touched at 92ish I think? Then skip all of the way to Snowbound.

Thoughts?
without huge resources, i think you'll find yourself getting xp/aa faster than you will be equipping all those slots, i'd really worry about the basics and figure out where works for you.

fear touched is not a bad spot, might even be some in the bazaar

In my opinion, skip the gear IFF you have a toon to baby sit. I found myself spending more time trying to get crap from Baz. When I did find gears, it often passed their usefulness before getting them from my parcels. I am a firm believer in T1 ToV gear if you're going to be 110-115 for a bit. If you're going past 115 then jump on the ToL T1 gear that should be flooding Baz with the crazy drop rates right now.

without huge resources, i think you'll find yourself getting xp/aa faster than you will be equipping all those slots, i'd really worry about the basics and figure out where works for you.

fear touched is not a bad spot, might even be some in the bazaar
Thank you, Sic! Fear Touched does seem like a natural stopping point, plus a lot of other off tier loot from those same mobs, and usually pretty easy camps from what I remember. I appreciate your knowledge and insight.

In my opinion, skip the gear IFF you have a toon to baby sit. I found myself spending more time trying to get crap from Baz. When I did find gears, it often passed their usefulness before getting them from my parcels. I am a firm believer in T1 ToV gear if you're going to be 110-115 for a bit. If you're going past 115 then jump on the ToL T1 gear that should be flooding Baz with the crazy drop rates right now.
No toon to babysit, starting fresh. Yea, Snowbound is great, but not sure I can last that long without a major gear run in the 90s.

I generally take the approach to get easy wins for gear and focus on exp. If I find I'm getting wrecked at a camp, I just drop to some lower mobs that I can handle and keep grinding. Ideally whatever you are exping on has some kind of drops to at least get a piece here and there. But my usual goal is get enough levels to get that purchaseable T1 gear ASAP (at whatever expansion level you are aiming for) , since that makes for some pretty simple starter gear for a team of 6 (that you know all of them can use).

Edit: just to add to your comments above: Check the bazaar on your way up, and focus on getting gear for your tank, weapons for your melee dps. That will carry you through to the Snowbound. And imo it's faster to grind at a bit lower level camp then to take a break entirely just to farm for gear. Best of both worlds is find good exp camps that might drop some T1 items from the current expansion level you're in.

Even if you don't want to go the TBM route from 70-105, I still strongly suggest getting the base TBM gear at 70. It's way better than defiant gear and fairly cheap. As long as you have a little bit of plat to buy remnants, you won't have to do any farming. Here's the breastplate for example: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=123658. You can probably get up to 80 in that base gear, but then you'll have to start farming somewhere else.

In my experience, 70-100'ish is spent doing nothing but gear farming. You're either going to do that in TBM missions grinding remnants, or going through other expansion grinding drops. Either way, you'll level way faster than you'll get gear. I'd just try to get as high as possible before spending a lot of time on gear. You'll know when it's time to stop because you'll start getting your face ripped off.

I try to enjoy as much of the game as I can as silver free to play accounts; that said, first time I hit a wall and couldn't progress was moving from ToV snowbound gear against CoV missions; it was literally just really intense healing and dps... therefore, I had to slow down and farm up the COV 115 free to play gear, then I was able to progress and complete the missions. That said, I assumed the same for TOL and finished all my toons in 120 free to play gear before I even bothered with the missions! :)

I hope that doesn't discourage you from trying things out without gearing out every 5 levels, but you never know... a lot of factors could have been against me other than gear and I just didn't know better... I'm not a pro like Sic is :P I'm just a guy enjoying the boxing experience RG provides! :)

p.s.-- I stopped doing the slow start level 1 crawl anymore... Heroic 85 all day here! :)

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Yea, I ini
I try to enjoy as much of the game as I can as silver free to play accounts; that said, first time I hit a wall and couldn't progress was moving from ToV snowbound gear against CoV missions; it was literally just really intense healing and dps... therefore, I had to slow down and farm up the COV 115 free to play gear, then I was able to progress and complete the missions. That said, I assumed the same for TOL and finished all my toons in 120 free to play gear before I even bothered with the missions! :)

I hope that doesn't discourage you from trying things out without gearing out every 5 levels, but you never know... a lot of factors could have been against me other than gear and I just didn't know better... I'm not a pro like Sic is :P I'm just a guy enjoying the boxing experience RG provides! :)

p.s.-- I stopped doing the slow start level 1 crawl anymore... Heroic 85 all day here! :)

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)
Yea, I initially considered the Heroic route, but with double exp it didn't seem that bad. Gearing is where my block is currently. I am like in this weird no man's land where it feels I am a square peg being forced into a round hole gear-wise. Plus, bang for the buck, 3 months of Gold per account > Instant 85 IMHO.

honestly id just focus on ur tank and healers gear the gear u need for the rest will come when u least expect it. most cloth classes dont need gear til later lvls imo i ran a necro to 100 before really focusing on gear now im in the top 10 in dps for raids where i am, hope this helps

Pretty sure no one cares but...TBM Progression has been engaged. Probably spend the next two weeks there leveling, gearing, etc. It just makes sense.

Pretty sure no one cares but...TBM Progression has been engaged. Probably spend the next two weeks there leveling, gearing, etc. It just makes sense.

top harry GIF

You gotta enjoy what your doing! If that means taking your time through each expac and gearing like you were doing for the first time, then by all means do so! It will be more enjoyable if you do "Have it your way"

Question - Skip loot and just go to levels, or Loot for min/max every 5 levels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back