• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - SK Augs (1 Viewer)

morlucius

RedCents
522¢
So most INI files that I see for an SK is to have them be a straight up tank.. So should we stack Dex augs and keep the SK a grp SK? Should we go full on SK raid tank and stack agi?

So most INI files that I see for an SK is to have them be a straight up tank.. So should we stack Dex augs and keep the SK a grp SK? Should we go full on SK raid tank and stack agi?

You ask a question that's a super hot issue with SKs. The bottom line, I think, is only something you can figure out once you answer the question of "what do I want my SK to do?" If your answer is be an awesome group tank, then go hDex. If your answer is something else, there's STILL a valid argument to stack hDex. With changes to hSta and hAgi, I don't think there's a wrong answer, but imo, since SKs derive much of their survivability from lifetaps and lifetap procs, I'd want all of those to be firing early and often... which is what hDex does.

for me I use:
ShieldRy'Gorr Glass Gem (old= Nathsar Darkness)
Shield Type 5Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection
PrimaryRelife Adornment

for 2 hander I actually use a damage aug = Immortal Curio of Ondine Force.

Edit for 2020 since I saw people redcenting this, I switched from Nathsar Darkness in shield to Ry'Gorr Glass Gem.

Last edited:
I've never went sword and board with my SK. He's my main as well as the main tank for my small group. I'm on a silver account so I can't use all the super nice things, but he does ok.

I’m almost always using a shield in groups... you’re losing a bit of dps, but the survivability is important due to how I play (pull it all and let the chanter sort it out in camp).

I went Sword and Board on my SK, +AC +HDEX +DMG (in that order) wherever possible. In EOK I managed 2 hander but with TBL I went with sword and board because the damage spikes were too close for comfort (T3 group + GMM geared)

If FTP, TBM drops are some nice augs that are non-prestige. Also check https://www.redguides.com/community/threads/ultimate-lazy-ac-aug-list-please-help-build.59924/ - and note that a lot of the AC35 augs are buyable from ethernere tainted west karana using COTF HA currency (name escapes me).

What about the type 3 aug in PoWar is that still worth going after since its the only aug that will increase dodge. Shield i am currently using is skyiro kite that gets a 3,5 and an 8

What the other guys said about the augments are 100% correct to be using. As fasr as what heroic stats to use more agi or dex. It just depends what you plan on using the sk more for raiding or group content.

HAgi supposedly adds AC, which has obvious advantages. It also increases the rate by which some defensive abilities fire.

But with raid mobs being what they are, they largely ignore those abilities, so the current argument (backed by parses) is that if hAgi is gonna be useless on raids due to how the devs setup the mobs and the events, then you may as well get the benefit of additional profs and dps from the hdex.

Ok well that was one I didnt realize is how they made the change to HAgi.. So Hdex it is, I honestly like this better cause the SK benefits way more from Hdex then any other stat you can add.

One also could use the Icy Prism instead of PoWar for 8% to dodge

THIS POST has some good info about the second stats. It is helpful to understand how each of the heroic stats give you stuff, so you can make the very personal choice of which heroic stat to go with.

If you mouse over your heroic MODS you will see where you "rank" out of the max ceiling for those mods, and when you get your next point in that mod
This is my Group Warrior - stacking mainly HDex
1574228472335.png
Mousing over the Heroic Mods you can what additional benefit i get for each of the different HStats (keep in mind these ceilings are based on 4,000 Hstat, so likely impossible to get)
1574228452917.png
Since there are diminishing returns on how you get mod points from the hstats, sometimes it might be worth getting a little bit more in another hstat than pushing your primary one (that's why many folks use a Weighted chart for their gear)
I get 1 more point of accuracy at 1882 heroic dex (current at 1874 when i took this screenie, so 8 hdex gets me 1 more accuracy)
1574228465588.png

1574228561351.png
I'm getting closer to that cap with Combat Effects, so it is going to take many more HDex points to get the next point of CE (CE is trigger procs like on weapons)
1574228704803.png

We all have our reasons why we prefer different HStats - and unless you're picking HCHA, you'll be fine ;)

For me, since I don't currently raid, and I don't have a tank-dying-problem (and even if i did, I would still stack as much hdex as i could get away with --- dps junkie lol --- I go HDex so I can do more damage and help kill the mob faster, and since i've built my group around melee damage and HDex, I can farm the same camp for augs for everyone outside of my cleric, but HAgi or HSta would work fine as well.

Good luck!

That is the great thing about a SK, we can be that DPS junkie and still pull off tanking like a mofo due to all our life taps. Still one of my favorite tanks to play.

im sure it helps do not forget the tradeskill augs. especially the prayer shawl, that thing is a beast procs a rune when you parry I think (Hagi)..... I play a war and this aug cures the aoe war agro problems so im sure it would help a sk also.

im sure it helps do not forget the tradeskill augs. especially the prayer shawl, that thing is a beast procs a rune when you parry I think (Hagi)..... I play a war and this aug cures the aoe war agro problems so im sure it would help a sk also.

TDS rune proc weapon aug and the knight raid 1-handers with rune procs solve that issue, as well. The annoying thing about the rune proc from the prayer shawl is it only procs on a successful parry (or maybe dodge.... I forget), so the recent change to the order of operations for mob damage screwed the proc rate on the shawl. Now, your dodge/parry roll occurs AFTER the hit/miss roll, which means if the mob misses you have zero change to proc the rune. In the past, this wasn't the case.

I did the shawl for my SK and honestly kind of thing it was a useless time sink (at this point).

*** Miscellaneous ***

- The teleportation crystal at the outpost in Jaggedpine Forest should now send you back to Surefall Glade.
- Changed the "Return Home" time to 18 minutes since the last time you logged in. Previously you had to wait 6 hours to use this button. Now it's set to the same time as Origin without any use of the hastened AAs.
- Fixed an error that was causing certain plate armor types to appear as chain. They should now correctly appear as plate.
- Fixed some display problems on armor with Velious textures.
- Heroic Dexterity will no longer incorrectly affect all damage types. It should now affect ranged damage only.

*** Miscellaneous ***

- The teleportation crystal at the outpost in Jaggedpine Forest should now send you back to Surefall Glade.
- Changed the "Return Home" time to 18 minutes since the last time you logged in. Previously you had to wait 6 hours to use this button. Now it's set to the same time as Origin without any use of the hastened AAs.
- Fixed an error that was causing certain plate armor types to appear as chain. They should now correctly appear as plate.
- Heroic Dexterity will no longer incorrectly affect all damage types. It should now affect ranged damage only.
Link

*** Miscellaneous ***

it is the secondary benefit you get from hdex giving you the accuracy mod check those links i provided earlier in this thread

I'm waking an old thread because I didn't want to create a new one when one all ready existed about SK augs. Reading this thread, Im not looking to start a discussion or argument.

My situation, I don't know anything about a SK, but I have one that does an outstanding job of tanking for my group. Currently 112. I'm hoping someone can PM me with what Type 3 augs to equip using MQ2Eskay. I have all the SK type 3 augs in his bags. Any PMs will be greatly appreciated.

Question - SK Augs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back