• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Shut off colored names? (1 Viewer)

ToeJamSamy

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
574¢
Is there a way to shut off all these specially colored nanes for NPCs etc and just leave it normal? Very disruptive to my brain, and while I can mess with plugins and such in .ini or with the easy plugin thing(sorry, I forget the name as I've been reading about a ton of them in a short period) idk what causes these color changes.

Similar to the person asking back in July to just stop everything inside the program, but not the program itself, I want to start with nothing at all and have full control over what does and doesn't run. A command to do that would be great as per their request, but I have no idea what exactly does this particular thing to turn it on or off with a command or .ini setting.

The setting you are looking for is under [Caption Colors] (and maybe also [Captions]) in macroquest.ini. Particularly the NPCCon and following settings.
Do I just turn them all off individually, or do I need to figure out what color they're supposed to be and put the numbers in? I found that in the .ini before my post but couldn't find something that just disabled all.

Do I just turn them all off individually, or do I need to figure out what color they're supposed to be and put the numbers in? I found that in the .ini before my post but couldn't find something that just disabled all.
Actually, you do not need to edit the file directly, my bad. To turn off captions for just regular NPCs, run /captioncolor NPCCon off in game. To turn it off entirely and only use default EQ colors, run /caption MQCaptions off in game.

I would suggest giving a shot at getting used to at least some of the colors. Being able to easily see which NPCs are vendors (orange-beige), and which ones are bankers (pink) is very useful in some instances. I love MQ2 partly because it lets me find the bank in Firiona Vie without right clicking every single NPC that is standing in a window.

I'm so used to MQ2, I don't know what the client does with names without it!
Teal! They are all teal!

Actually, you do not need to edit the file directly, my bad. To turn off captions for just regular NPCs, run /captioncolor NPCCon off in game. To turn it off entirely and only use default EQ colors, run /caption MQCaptions off in game.

I would suggest giving a shot at getting used to at least some of the colors. Being able to easily see which NPCs are vendors (orange-beige), and which ones are bankers (pink) is very useful in some instances. I love MQ2 partly because it lets me find the bank in Firiona Vie without right clicking every single NPC that is standing in a window.

Teal! They are all teal!
Never had a problem figuring out which NPC is which, but I don't go to FV either, like ever...not even sure why I would lol. Stinky elves..I think it's elves anyway lol

I think I've always considered the usual npc names to be like a periwinkle color, just the tiniest purple hue to a palish blue.

I just want the least weirdness on my screen as I can, and really a pretty low level of functionality at least to start(of 6 toons, only want 2-3 to use anything at all, don't want the map or baz or Lucy or find etc, just make my rogues be rogues without irritating me(I hate pure melees) and my drood to heal me when I need it because I hate healing.

I'm sure over time it'll become yet another obsession and I'll be spending more time playing with perfecting coding than playing the game(exactly what happened with my emu server), but for now I'm just interested in getting caught up in the game before CoV launches, and not be overwhelmed by too many ...things...distracting me at once. I'm far too easily distracted, especially visually.

Edit: NOT periwinkle, that's PCs, but kinda a mint green color. Realized I was thinking of the wrong color when I got back to the computer last night, but that's why I wanna put them back as they were. Now, honestly I don't mind the mob names being their con so much, just have to tweak the gray to be more readable, but with that feature it makes normal friendly NPCs having all these bright colors more disturbing to my brain lol.

Last edited:
Question - Shut off colored names?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back