• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Should I come back to retail EQ? (1 Viewer)

dulak

RedCents
784¢
So I've never been one of you power players, the kind that's always pushing to get to current content. In fact, I'm a lazy player. Not gonna lie. I like to run 1 account and bot the others in my group. A while back, I sold off all of my accounts but 3. One has a 100 shaman on it (silver account), the 2nd has a 92 mage on it (also silver) and the 3rd has an 86 SK (free account). That being said, I have the itch to play again but not sure what to do. I don't have the last 2 expansions and can't justify buying them right now, nor can I justify spending money on my current accounts to make them gold for a little while or even buy a krono for the sk account to it'll turn silver after the krono wears off. So I'm open to suggestions. I know I should probably add 3 more toons to the team but that'll be a bit of a headache to get them leveled and geared in order to group with my current team, not to mention spell skills.

So I've never been one of you power players, the kind that's always pushing to get to current content. In fact, I'm a lazy player. Not gonna lie. I like to run 1 account and bot the others in my group. A while back, I sold off all of my accounts but 3. One has a 100 shaman on it (silver account), the 2nd has a 92 mage on it (also silver) and the 3rd has an 86 SK (free account). That being said, I have the itch to play again but not sure what to do. I don't have the last 2 expansions and can't justify buying them right now, nor can I justify spending money on my current accounts to make them gold for a little while or even buy a krono for the sk account to it'll turn silver after the krono wears off. So I'm open to suggestions. I know I should probably add 3 more toons to the team but that'll be a bit of a headache to get them leveled and geared in order to group with my current team, not to mention spell skills.

Give it a go for a while on Live, then see how you feel. You can always copy them over to Test at any time.

Just trying to give you options. When I came back I had two silver accounts - one with a level 69 and the other with a level 30-something. I went ahead and used my EQ2 account to make a third EQ1 toon and then rolled 3 FTP so I could try boxing a full 6-team group. This all started in early June. Now as we wind down August the entire group is very close to 110. I am happy and enjoying myself. Like I always say, and most if not all the others folks here will tell you, is you need to have fun. Whether you spend real dollars or just time, you are making an investment, so the return on your investment needs to be enjoyment. Determine what you would enjoy and then plan accordingly. Personally, I was enjoying myself last night in the revamped Over There. I was reminiscing about days in the original Over There, circa 2000.

Be well. Happy gaming. Have fun !!!!!

I know I should probably add 3 more toons to the team but that'll be a bit of a headache to get them leveled and geared in order to group with my current team, not to mention spell skills.
Use that SK to get 3 new toons rolling. Load that bad boy up with full buffs. Use shaman to heal via Xtarg and pull away. Make one of your new crew members a toon that has AoE at low level. Skills seem to come nearly every cast so that shouldn't be a concern. If finances are holding you back right now, get busy on FTP. There are recent posts with PL suggestions. Good luck!

Going to the thread title - now would not be the ideal time to return to Retail EQ. Crackdowns on MQ earlier in the year, and the suggestion that more is to come, make it a questionable time to invest.

But given that the rest of your post says you won't be spending any $$$ anyway, not sure you can call that Retail EQ. In which case, have at it. What do you have to lose?

You have nothing to lose, whether Silver or Bronze(Free), will not matter in the way you described. Many play just as you mentioned. Leisurely and with a mix of Free and some Silver. You have lots of RedCents and can keep your Level 2 easy, and if you don't care about the current expansion.. you don't need it to have fun. 20+years of content is all there to still explore. Start with three or whatever. Make a new guy or two and add them to your group after you get your MQ set back up. You'll have a ton of fun controlling all 6 from your main driving account. Won;t cost you a cent to play, enjoy Live servers or as the others guys said, play on Test server free and your accounts there are like Gold accounts, plus you can even play around with CWTN plugins free on Test if you like those (I bet you will).

Much good advice so far. I'd would add that maybe it's time to do something totally different. I've always been sort of a caster focused guy. Not long ago I decided to build a berserker squad to give the melee a try! It was actually hilarious running them through the tutorial using the macro for it. When I came out of the tutorial at level 14 they proceeded to decimate everything in Cresent Reach.

tl:dr -- Try new teams just for the fun of it!

Much good advice so far. I'd would add that maybe it's time to do something totally different. I've always been sort of a caster focused guy. Not long ago I decided to build a berserker squad to give the melee a try! It was actually hilarious running them through the tutorial using the macro for it. When I came out of the tutorial at level 14 they proceeded to decimate everything in Cresent Reach.

tl:dr -- Try new teams just for the fun of it!

I agree about glooming deep. When I started my melee alt team, I grouped them and stayed until 15, if memory serves me. I did all the gear quests which gave them defiant equivalent starter gear. I do not have melee focused CWTN plug-ins so I think I used RGMercs and set a camp. I think folks overlook the newbie zone and rush out to Crescent too soon.

Just my 2 Red Cents worth.

Be well. Happy gaming.

There is truly SOOOOO much to do even as free to play through level 115 that you will keep yourself busy, unless you've been keeping up with the game entirely over the last 24 years; that said, one of my favorite things about this game is both the variety and the options... you can do what you please... how you please... and if that isn't enough, then change it! :)

I definitely vote, give it a try, what's the worst that happens, it was free to play anyway! :)

Just my two [red] cents! :)

Just one caveat to everything mentioned is that if you don't play on test, be aware that your toons will be far less powerful without the AAs. I know it is hard for some of us to fit an EQ charge into our budget and I am not saying you have to to have fun, but if you were used to toons having access to those AAs before it is going to be hard to play without them. You will inevitably encounter stuff that will drive you insane because you used to handle it with ease and now it will be like banging your head against the wall.

That said, welcome back. I think we all have tried to quit in the past but get sucked back in.

So all the AA you earned/had while being All Access, you retain those when your account drops down to silver. You just can't gain anymore AA until you return to All Access.

emulators are ftw. I avoided them for so long because installing seemed like too much hassle and heard it was buggy and crashed all the time. It's a far cry from what it was and I'm 110% sold, never going back to live where I have to invest stupid money only to get whacked with a ban hammer for no good reason. Bah to live.

Heroic adventures I would say, I got my guys to level 107 that way, it gets VERY easy

Question - Should I come back to retail EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back