• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

shielding vs ac vs hps whats best?? (1 Viewer)

depends on what you're after. If you're thinking dreadspire, you'll need all the shielding and avoidance you can get. but most warriors value 1ac=5hps.

20-30 ac, you need better armor class for high end guilds unless you're at what they'd like or you need something to the extent of the shielding if you've yet to meet the current % for shield needed. It really depends on the character you're going after.

for being a high end guild monk I value hp over anything else. With overtime of upgrades with all the new raid mobs/expansion you get all the avoidance and shielding with that gear. AC, it comes with the gear but you can only get so much. Sure some high end monks use the ac augs, but it only helps ya too far to the point you can't see a difference.

The main thing that will show a huge difference is having all the aa defensive. If you take 1 monk with all those aa's and another monk without it, you will see there is a huge difference in it.

As a warrior, I too value AC. Most all content right now only requires about 14k hp to tank it, so long as you have around 3200 AC buffed. Although from a monk standpoint, since you wont necessarily be taking damage over time, I'd have to say hp would be more important.

Although in this case you mentionned above, 20 AC is still greater then 50hp.

Don't worry about avoidance. Monks have a shitload of gear that offers avoidance. Likewise, you will get your fair share of hps. If you truly want to be an all-around monk, you should focus on shielding, try to get it as high as you can via augs, gear or whatnot, and once you hit 25 to 30, start focusing all your gear/augs towards AC. I say this because shielding gear for monks is too few and far between, as is monk gear w/ a decent level of AC.

Without trying, a monk can usually max avoidance, accuracy, atk, strikethru, and quite a few other mods + resists (except MR usually).

I don't know how high your AC/HP/mods are, but I can tell you that once you start reaching the 2500AC/25+ shielding area, you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can tank, and for a decent amount of time.

Depends on the class really.

As a rogue, I don't value AC and Shielding as much as HP. I get hit by DD and Dots more than I get hit by a mob.

Spell shielding and Dot Shielding more important for Non Tanks.

Monk= dps.....up your atk, strikethrough ect> all. Next is saves to max then spell shield then maybe hps. Other than pulls and aes you shouldn't be getting hit all that much.

The return you get on shielding is based off your mitigation. The higher your AC and mitigation AA's the greater the return of shielding. In addition innate class and/or racial mitigation comes into play 1% on a warrior will be much higher than 1% on a druid for example. On any class looking to get the most melee mitigation raw AC with shielding where you cannot fit an AC aug is the formula to get the most.

Monkwise though I'd look more at the role and put a higher personal value on avoidance and hps. Shielding and AC causes the hits to be less but someone else should be taking the hits anyway imo.

As in what was said. any warrior or tank type will value ac and shielding over anything. Go for HP then shielding then AC. Look at any high end monks on eqplayers or eqrankings. U will see most go in for Hp augs to better themself in that and don't worry as much on AC

Hmmm, think a lot of people are overlooking the simple math part of this question.

ALL new mobs hit for over 500 and most can double, triple, or quad hit per round. 1% shielding = 5hp saved from your hps PER SWING. More realistically, the mobs in high end zones hit for a minimum of 1k and some up to over 2k per hit.

AC doesn't do much if the mob has high enough attack, like those in Tavci. I haven't played a tank in a long, long time, I'm not sure of the formula of what AC has on a per swing basis, but I'm sure 20-30AC won't reduce every hit by 1%. On smaller mobs with less atk, AC really comes into play and can make a huge difference in the damage you take.

50 HPs just doesn't stack up against AC or Shielding. MAYBE if you were a caster since their ac is generally so low, but certainly not for a tank or anyone who gets aggro a lot.

Now, with all that in mind, it totally depends on your class and play-style. If your shielding isn't maxed or near max, shielding owns all imo IF you're fighting higher end. If not, I'd go AC. IIRC, AC also will help in the calculations of avoiding getting stunned (overall). As far as just comparing the shielding, look at it like this. If you have 7500 hps (most have at least that buffed), 1% shielding will allow you to take 75 more points damage before you die if you don't get a single heal.

Thanks thats more of the info I had in mind, at end game when your limited on Augs I wanted to know I have 55hp aug, a 30 ac aug and a 1% shielding which be of the greatest value. Also where could I find the cap values on ac per class??

As a high end warrior, my values are roughly:

1ac = 5hp.
1% shield - 30-50hp, depending content
1avoidance = 10hp.

Avoidance is a CRUCIAL STAT that will increase your longevity, guarenteed. AC is a survival stat. HP is a magelo padding, epenis inflating stat. Shielding is important as well, especially outside of defensive.

If you're raiding anything that's past GoD, there is no AC cap.. hell, even with Tunat, there is no AC cap. Pre Tunat, you want 2800ac for all of Tacvi/Txevu, 2600 inktu'ta, 2400 ikkinz/uqua, 2200 potime.

Shields are also fantastic for the huge AC softcap boost they get. My suggestion is go read the TSW forums for detailed info on this age-old question.

www.thesteelwarrior.org.

shielding vs ac vs hps whats best??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back