• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Rogue soloing secrets (1 Viewer)

Racecar

RedCents
I thought it was only fair to share some of the soloing secrets I've discovered over the past few months.

Those of you that have tried playing the scout classes have probably been frustrated at their relatively poor soloability. Trying to time cheapshot so you can get a backstab is frustrating, the same goes with using your HO's to their fullest.

But don't fret! There is a secret technique to make sure you can pull of these techniques perfectly everytime.

This works for any of the scout classes, but works best for the rogue ones as they have a more powerful rear attack. The trick to downing enemies quickly is using your HO opener, followed by a cheapshot, turning off autoattack, running around to the rear of your enemy and backstabbing to complete the HO. But if you've tried to master doing this manually you know how hard it is to complete it even 75% of the time.

So instead of living with that frustration, put the magic of EQ2 macros to work for you. Click on the EQ2 button and go to socials. Choose a new macro to program and call it whatever you like. You need to type out this into the first line (but replace the name of the abilities with the proper one for your class):

: ; useability Lucky Break ; useability Cheap Shot ; toggleautoattack ; useability Backstab ; toggleautoattack

Just like that, all in one line (and yes that is a ": ;" at the start). Now, put this on your hotbar. To start any fight, sneak, use your ambush line opener on the mob, then press this button while walking forward through the mob. It will cheapshot the mob while you're walking, turn off your attack (so you don't break the stun), backstab (you walked through the mob, don't worry if you aren't at its back if you do it fast enough the server doesn't care), and turn on attack again.

The mob is probably hurting really badly right now and is almost dead before even touching you. Now for the second part! Macro all of your HO's this way! It fires them off with lightning speed, opening them, landing the abilities and completing the HO far faster than any human could. Your DPS will really increase from this.

For instance, for mid level rogues I also have the following two hotkeys which I cycle as soon as Lucky Break pops:

: ; useability Lucky Break ; useability Dirty Tricks ; useability Quick Strike

and

: ; useability Lucky Break ; useability Ensnare ; useability Quick Strike

Upgrade these macros as your skills progress. The names of the abilities may change, but the theory behind them doesn't. With these three macros you will go from barely beating evens, to destroying yellows with ease.

The HO hotkey trick works for every class, it's just that rogue types get the most use from positional stun/attack combinations. I also use hotkeys on my fury to autocomplete HO's for me.

This deserves a round of applause. Great guide, and very newbie friendly.

Here's one that I found a roleplayer friend of mine does, using emotes. (warning: So very jolly!)

Group HO

/shimmy ; /g HO HO HO! in 2 shakes ; /pause 20 ; /useability Lucky Break

It never stops being funny.

Ever.

Never ever.

Hiya!

Fantastic guide.

However, has this been nerfed? When I open up my macro window, I cannot place the entire line on one line... I can split the line into the three different macro spaces on the UI... and I believe I have the syntax okay.

I hit it and it does the HO, but then it doesn't go from there. Should I put pauses in between? Is my computer initiating these commands too fast for the server or something?

Still works perfectly as I was doing it today.

There is no way to pause it, and it should be working just fine on it's own. Can you copy and paste your HO Macro line here so I can take a look at it?

Rogue soloing secrets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back