• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returning Player looking to Multi-Boxing (1 Viewer)

RedCents
308¢
I started playing again on Aradune/Rizlona for the TLP but started dabbling in Live and liking Live way more. Enough that I started up 2 other accounts just so I could have a full group with mercs. Now Im thinking about expanding again into an actual 6 player multi-boxed group. So a few questions:

1) My current chars are a Monk, Druid, and Enchanter. What other characters should I include? Obviously a tank and cleric, but what else? What type of tank is best now? Should I switch out any of the current 3 accounts for something else? Anything Im hard stuck on is the Monk as thats what I used to play and want to keep playing as my "main".
2) Using some type of software to manage a 6 man group is obviously highly recommended. However, is it really needed? If I try RG, will I ever want to go back to not using it? lol
3) Any chance of getting some likes so I can try RG out for free the first month kind of like a trial?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

I started playing again on Aradune/Rizlona for the TLP but started dabbling in Live and liking Live way more. Enough that I started up 2 other accounts just so I could have a full group with mercs. Now Im thinking about expanding again into an actual 6 player multi-boxed group. So a few questions:

1) My current chars are a Monk, Druid, and Enchanter. What other characters should I include? Obviously a tank and cleric, but what else? What type of tank is best now? Should I switch out any of the current 3 accounts for something else? Anything Im hard stuck on is the Monk as thats what I used to play and want to keep playing as my "main".
2) Using some type of software to manage a 6 man group is obviously highly recommended. However, is it really needed? If I try RG, will I ever want to go back to not using it? lol
3) Any chance of getting some likes so I can try RG out for free the first month kind of like a trial?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Welcome back to EQ and welcome to RG!

1 - depends on your goals and such - things change quite a bit in Live once you get to modern content - at the very lease consider a setup that has real tank (sk, war pal), real healer (cleric or shm), real CC (ench for casters, bard for melee), and 3 complimentary dps
2. You will unlikely go back to boxing with nothing. I manually boxed for years, and this is way more enjoyable.

Sic has pretty well nailed the response here. Honestly, if you give it a real, genuine try for more than a week and think you will ever go back to boxing by hand I would be shocked. I accomplished everything there was to do in multiple expansions boxing by hand and now I hate how long I put off joining here because 'I don't really need it, it would just be nice to have'

I've said this several times here, and I'm sure I'll say it again. The quality of life features alone are worth it. The improved map and travel functionalities are really hard to live without when I log into my main (that I always play by hand) on patch days without MQ2 running. And I don't even want to tradeskill, because the combine macro that makes in game 'combine all' actually work properly I consider a must have, now.

Sic has pretty well nailed the response here. Honestly, if you give it a real, genuine try for more than a week and think you will ever go back to boxing by hand I would be shocked. I accomplished everything there was to do in multiple expansions boxing by hand and now I hate how long I put off joining here because 'I don't really need it, it would just be nice to have'

I've said this several times here, and I'm sure I'll say it again. The quality of life features alone are worth it. The improved map and travel functionalities are really hard to live without when I log into my main (that I always play by hand) on patch days without MQ2 running. And I don't even want to tradeskill, because the combine macro that makes in game 'combine all' actually work properly I consider a must have, now.

The quality of life stuff is really what drove me to looking at some type of software. I hate how follow works and constantly babysitting the boxes is annoying. Plus it would be nice to actually be able to full DPS instead of clicking buttons on multiple accounts. I was also in that same boat as you mentioned though of the "Im not sure I need this" type thing and it seems pretty complicated, at least to me. Im sure after using it for a bit, you really figure it out, but Im just not sure of the learning curve yet.

The quality of life stuff is really what drove me to looking at some type of software. I hate how follow works and constantly babysitting the boxes is annoying. Plus it would be nice to actually be able to full DPS instead of clicking buttons on multiple accounts. I was also in that same boat as you mentioned though of the "Im not sure I need this" type thing and it seems pretty complicated, at least to me. Im sure after using it for a bit, you really figure it out, but Im just not sure of the learning curve yet.

I recently came back to EQ and now joined and downloaded this weekend. I used to manually box 3-4 person teams via alt-tab and ISBoxer in the past. There are quite a few resources from Redbot about getting started and setting up available to review. Overall, it took me about 3 hours to fully get a 6 person group up and running having 0 knowledge about anything. Then it was another couple of hours to get all my set up done for each character individually. After that point, it’s been a breeze and the QOL features are great.

Creators have done a great job with macros and plugins. I can’t imagine going back to complete manual control. Some amazing ones for certain classes... Totally worth the sub IMO.

Im sure after using it for a bit, you really figure it out, but Im just not sure of the learning curve yet.
Yeah we have all been there, the community is amazing though. You'll see
Creators have done a great job with macros and plugins. I can’t imagine going back to complete manual control. Some amazing ones for certain classes... Totally worth the sub IMO.
Agree totally

1. Tank = SK (Much more versatile than War, and doesnt stink like Pallies)
Cleric - you can never go wrong with a cleric.
For your last....consider a mage....
SK,MNK,ENC,DRU,CLR,MAG - that is about as versatile a grp as you will ever need. Every situation under control and much more fun to play than a straight dps path SK,CLR,zerk,zerk,zerk,bst

Red cent to push you to free trial. I couldn’t wait so I never asked lol.

I honestly don’t think i could box without MQ2 ever again. MQ2autoloot is probability my favorite plugin/macro at this time. I’m doing HJ with all 6 toons and it has made the process of collecting the right amount of quest items and getting them into the right hands so much easier. I wasn’t using it originally and almost quit doing the quest line. Thanks to the creators!

i like my SK as my tank. I use a bard instead of a chanter. From what I read chanters compliment casters more Nile bards compliment melee more. With that in mind, maybe a mage or wiz would be a good addition.

Question - Returning Player looking to Multi-Boxing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back