• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Returning player, 6 box setup question (1 Viewer)

wfitz1491

RedCents
233¢
Hi all,

Got the bug again. Tried starting back up when TBL was free expansion and didn't have that great of a time. Now that ToV is free I said what the heck and gave it another go.

This time I'm having a blast and think I'm going to gun to catch back up to current content.

Current setup is WAR/SHM/BRD/MNK/BER/RNG

With a mix of CWTN and kiss I've finished all the group content for ToV and am starting to farm missions for gear/augs . Plan is to try and get completely caught up with gear/augs/haugs/aa by the time preorders start for next expansion before I move on from ToV.

Looking at some other peoples setups I don't see too many monks. Would a rogue be that much more dps? Or is there any other class that I might swap out of my setup for another in terms of better dps or more synergy? So far in dps check type missions my burns have been great. I was able to drop Griklor at 112 without him taking off. Just wondering going forward if I might regret not switching something now while I'm still freshly gearing up again.

Also starting to research a bit more but with my current setup are there any burns that might conflict each other between classes?

Researching as much as I can but its a lot to digest between 6 chars.

Thanks for any help

100% play what you like. If your looking for a max/max team, monks been in the dumps for the last 4 years? rog and rangers coming on strong with the change to mob type =-( gonna go ham, put a rogue in the monk spot.. but your team is solid enough to do all the things.

WB and first rule of MQ club is have fun :)

100% play what you like. If your looking for a max/max team, monks been in the dumps for the last 4 years? rog and rangers coming on strong with the change to mob type =-( gonna go ham, put a rogue in the monk spot.. but your team is solid enough to do all the things.

WB and first rule of MQ club is have fun :)
Negative First Rule of VV/MQ is the same as fight club

brad pitt you do not talk about fight club GIF

Seceond rule of VV/MQ is...see above

Third rule of VV/MQ Club is...

fight club GIF

Welcome Back.

Your team is fine. Enjoyment is King. If the Mnk is bumming you out, consider a ROG or BST to replace him. The Holy Trinity is still important and you already have that covered with the WAR, SHM, and BRD. The DPS and Utility portion of most teams often comes down to personal preference. @Shadow posted a group making guide in the strategy section.

https://www.redguides.com/community...in-making-solid-groups-for-content-wip.82986/

Some. or all. of it might be old hat for you but it might not be bad to skim it over as a quick refresher to let you get your creative juices flowing.

Oh I just re-read that. Creative juices just sounds so wrong, :)

Be well. Happy gaming.

Welcome back. @timmy getting the itch, too. I can tell cause I sneaky snek him on RG since I haven't seen him on EQ in 2 weeks and he's not responding to my discord messages! respond! teehee!

edit: your inbox is full and i will never forget this!

Last edited:
Hi all,

Got the bug again. Tried starting back up when TBL was free expansion and didn't have that great of a time. Now that ToV is free I said what the heck and gave it another go.

This time I'm having a blast and think I'm going to gun to catch back up to current content.

Current setup is WAR/SHM/BRD/MNK/BER/RNG

With a mix of CWTN and kiss I've finished all the group content for ToV and am starting to farm missions for gear/augs . Plan is to try and get completely caught up with gear/augs/haugs/aa by the time preorders start for next expansion before I move on from ToV.

Looking at some other peoples setups I don't see too many monks. Would a rogue be that much more dps? Or is there any other class that I might swap out of my setup for another in terms of better dps or more synergy? So far in dps check type missions my burns have been great. I was able to drop Griklor at 112 without him taking off. Just wondering going forward if I might regret not switching something now while I'm still freshly gearing up again.

Also starting to research a bit more but with my current setup are there any burns that might conflict each other between classes?

Researching as much as I can but its a lot to digest between 6 chars.

Thanks for any help
I like the monk for the aura, for more ripostes for my crew... but otherwise I like the melee heavy groups for their mobility alone! As long as you have the basics: 1 tank 1 healer 1 Slower and 3x Dps... managing content will be nice!

Last edited:
Welcome back!
Hey You Hello GIF by Regal

Personally I would add a bst to the group. They are great added dps, they can heal and slow if needed, and primalist synergy is great for more added dps. I agree with the others play what you enjoy playing, you wont get far if you have a class in your group that you dislike.

Thinking this weekend I'll give a go at PLing a rogue in between mission lockouts
If you chase max DPS groups, you'll spend time in analysis paralysis, creating new combinations before swapping in others! You will end up with a couple different characters on each account and lock in your final combination when you go back to get flags/achievements in older content around the time you are working on TDS progression in the Cavern of Endless Songs (seriously, the least enjoyable zone ever due to Z-axis jankiness).

I am in a tentative peaceful state of mind about my non-ideal group setup and have a couple parked characters on my accounts that were part of my initial push when I switched them out because I did too much reading of "starting a new 6-box, what should I run" posts here. The changes did boost my DPS, though, and you're in a good place to swap characters out without losing a good amount of work.

It is nice to have a SHM for alch & nice to have a gnome ROG for tinkering. I still am tempted to try a caster-centric group. WAR/CLR/ENC/MAG/MAG/WIZ

Last edited:
Welcome back too the Horde..Wait a second, I meant evergrind. Lol, I recently have been off and on a lot.

Anyhow! There's nothing wrong with your group setup, yes you can min max your setup a bit by changing classes. But, at the end of the day it's your game, play what you enjoy.

I play some odd combos and learned what I can or cannot do with them. But, you've got the holy trinity and from there you can swap or change, what you like.

At the end of the day, you can always roll another group or characters to swap in and out.

Just have fun, that's what matters most.

Welcome back.

Been in the same boat, as I'm sure others have.

Started with War, Ber, Shm, Mag, Brd, and Mnk then once I hit around 100 got into too much reading of what's "best 6 box"
Then changed it up to War, Clr, Bst, Brd, Ber, and Mnk. Later removed War with SK and Mnk with Rog....
Ping pong between War and SK so many times but ended with War, Clr, Bst, Ber, Rog, Brd and enjoying this group very much.

Going to start a caster group for fun War, Clr, Bst, Mag, Wiz, and Enc.

My thinking is if you're killing yellow/reds around 30-40s than your fine no need to tweak anything unless you don't enjoy the classes you're playing.

Welcome back.

I have a monk in my group and love it. The others may do more damage, but my monk can off tank sometimes and can pull when the bard has problems. And as everyone has said play with what you have fun with.

I am in the middle of lev'ing a shadow knight to replace my cleric.

group,
Mage
Monk
Bard
Shaman
Ranger
Shadow Knight

Star Wars Game GIF by Xbox

After a 10 year break I came back, if I do nothing else in EQ, it's literally trying out a bazillion different setups... ultimately my favorite has been SK, Sham, Brd, Pal, Zerk, BL... And I thoroughly love this setup; heavy melee, variety of buffs (if not all the necessary), great synergies, etc... has the 3 2.0 Epics worth getting SK, Sham, Brd... IMHO...

But when I first got back, I ran a caster setup... Pal Shm Brd Ench Mag Wiz... and I did really well that also... *shrug* what ultimately changed my mind from this setup was "mobility"... being able to do things on the move...

Just my two cents.

Have to agree, play what you like. I usually run pal, enc and either rog/clr on same account. Admitedly w ToL the rog has become MUCH more usefull. Tidbits I have heard next expansion will be more ToL not that it accounts for much but I expect rog/rng to continue to flurish. They did take a bit of a back seat during tov/cov w all the undead.

Question - Returning player, 6 box setup question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back