• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Restless Assault (1 Viewer)

RedCents
6,229¢
On the final named "Narandi the Restless" is there a way to make a hotkey to target the correct version like in the plane of smoke trial where you can do a "/tar a_swirl_of_disturbedj_crust05" to target the correct guy every time without DPSing him down?

I haven’t seen anything. I usually go very low dps and have to cycle thru the targets until I can find the one without the blue ring.
I think this is all you can do. It's my strategy too. Typically I turn off all DPS except my tank and if a blue ring pops up, i move on to the next until I find out without the ring then turn on all the DPS again and go

If you have issues with seeing the ring, look for the text in say "A pool of water forms at his feet" (something similar to that). This text comes at 75%, 50% and 25% health. So it is ideal if you can tank one to 75% and see if you get this text. If no text burn him down, if you get text move to the next and try to get it to 75% and look for the text (Be sure the other doesn't hit 50% or you will get a false reading for the one you are dpsing to 75%) I use the time stamps to note the last text about the pool of water, this helps keep track of the last mob that made it.

I also had this question. But lately I've been pleased to note that by while running Kiss 11.005 if I DON'T attempt to pick the target the macro seems to pick the correct giant all by itself! At least I'm seeing this happen quite consistently!

Perhaps the correct mob is the _01 version and the array processing in the macro sorts this to the top of the list?

I just hit my AE Hate button and let the targeting take place via the macro.

I also had this question. But lately I've been pleased to note that by while running Kiss 11.005 if I DON'T attempt to pick the target the macro seems to pick the correct giant all by itself! At least I'm seeing this happen quite consistently!

Perhaps the correct mob is the _01 version and the array processing in the macro sorts this to the top of the list?

I just hit my AE Hate button and let the targeting take place via the macro.
Interesting. I don’t usually run KA on my main but might be worth trying this.

This would be damn awesome if it were the case. Do try and report back!

As for how I do this event, I use extended target. Start with all auto-haters. When you get the blue pool indicating a "fake" manually assign that mob to xtar #13 and move on to the next mob. If the second is a fake, move it to xtar #12. Now you have 2 mobs on autohater and 2 manually assigned. The real mob is one of the last 2 so pick one and continue the process. Worst case scenario you end up with 3 mobs manually assigned and 1 left on auto-hater. If at any time a mob drops and does not get the blue ring, kill it. I do this with only the tank fighting so I don't blow through and kill a fake by mistake. My group does a lot of passive dps (dots, swarm pets, damage shields, etc.) that these control fights cause me issues.

It seems for me anyway that 2 times out of 3 it will work to just let the macro choose the target. I've been practicing going into high elevation camera mode to more easily see the blue aura and then rapidly changing targets to try and determine the correct mob. Today now, even though we killed the wrong one several times it was a pet with the kill shot thus saving my characters from the Death Touch. I leave all my DPS turned on so things are dying really quickly and it's very easy to DPS the wrong one down. I don't mind the Restless Soul adds too much so long as I'm not killing off my tank.

It seems for me anyway that 2 times out of 3 it will work to just let the macro choose the target. I've been practicing going into high elevation camera mode to more easily see the blue aura and then rapidly changing targets to try and determine the correct mob. Today now, even though we killed the wrong one several times it was a pet with the kill shot thus saving my characters from the Death Touch. I leave all my DPS turned on so things are dying really quickly and it's very easy to DPS the wrong one down. I don't mind the Restless Soul adds too much so long as I'm not killing off my tank.

I guess there is a tactic there I didnt think of. Could you just dps down, then pull off and and let the pet eat DT on each one regardless. Then if you are wrong it wont matter.

I have tried this a few times and failed I cannot see the blue ring under the wrong mob. Does anyone have a suggestion to which graphic setting I need to turn up to see this? I currently have environment set to medium|Medium with everything else set to the lowest setting.

I also tried to set an event to beep on the text below. But it looks like the text is only given when the mob is at 25% now.

Also only using my warrior to beat down the mobs. But they go really fast.

[Rest]
trigger=#*#Narandi the Restless melts, a pool of water appearing at its feet#*#
command=/beep

I have found all dps off except just some plain melee from one char the mobs emote/ring shows by around 60-70%

You really need to turn off all damage except for some melee non burn dps and remove any damage shields too on tank

Change warrior to sword n board to reduce dps a bit, and maybe the weapon proficiency buff too will help from having too much dps

I have found all dps off except just some plain melee from one char the mobs emote/ring shows by around 60-70%

You really need to turn off all damage except for some melee non burn dps and remove any damage shields too on tank

Change warrior to sword n board to reduce dps a bit, and maybe the weapon proficiency buff too will help from having too much dps
I do have everyone paused except for war and cleric and using sword and board. Did not think about DS will try that but should not be that much of a DS running War,Clr,Brd,Bst,Zer,Zer

I have tried this a few times and failed I cannot see the blue ring under the wrong mob. Does anyone have a suggestion to which graphic setting I need to turn up to see this? I currently have environment set to medium|Medium with everything else set to the lowest setting.

I also tried to set an event to beep on the text below. But it looks like the text is only given when the mob is at 25% now.

Also only using my warrior to beat down the mobs. But they go really fast.

[Rest]
trigger=#*#Narandi the Restless melts, a pool of water appearing at its feet#*#
command=/beep
Tank him on the ice near the zone in, rather than on the snow... helps with visibility alot

Finally beat the Zero Tolerance achievement today. As noted by several people above the 'correct' Narandi truly is random. I was echoing ${Target.Name} for each mob and there was no pattern to it that i could discern.

Just like Icebound Avatar of War I modified my KA INI file on my cleric and shaman to do zero damage but keep the heals and mob slowing. Then when I got to Narandi I just turned off my 3 dps classes entirely for the remainder of the fight.

Having the achievement I'm just going to go back to my old completely random way. I may kill my tank a few times but it's quicker to just burn it all down.

I made some MQ2Events entries for Narandi and they worked flawlessly on my first test. While not class specific, I list the class of my characters so if you have a similar setup, you can copy the trigger and use it with minimal changes. Ex: maybe you're using MQ2Rogue instead of MQ2Berzerker, simply change /zerk to /rog and it should work.

Zerker running MQ2Berzerker, no KA
INI:
[Narandi splits]
trigger=#*#Narandi appears to shatter#*#
command=/multiline ; /zerk mode 0 ; /attack off ; /keypress esc
[Narandi reforms]
trigger=#*#A shell of restless ice falls away to reveal the true Narandi the Restless!#*#
command=/zerk mode 1

Bard running KissAssist with MQ2Twist
INI:
[Narandi splits]
command=/multiline ; /mqp on ; /keypress esc ; /attack off ; /twist off ; /twist off
[Narandi reforms]
trigger=#*#A shell of restless ice falls away to reveal the true Narandi the Restless!#*#
command=/multiline ; /mqp off ; /twist start

Magician running MQ2AFNuke with a stripped down kissassist ini and pet control
INI:
[Narandi splits]
command=/multiline ; /mqp on ; /nuke pause ; /keypress esc ; /pet regroup on
[Narandi reforms]
command=/multiline ; /mqp off ; /nuke resume ; /pet regroup off

Shaman with kissassist and pet control
INI:
[Narandi splits]
command=/multiline ; /mqp on ; /keypress esc ; /pet regroup on
[Narandi reforms]
command=/multiline ; /mqp off ; /pet regroup off

Warrior running MQ2War, no kissassist
INI:
[Narandi splits]
command=/multiline ; /war mode 0 ; /attack off ; /keypress esc
[Narandi reforms]
command=/war mode 4
To complete the split phase, I drive the warrior and melee down 1 target at a time. All other DPS will stop DPSing using the above triggers. With the tank, I fight one target until he reveals himself as a fake (blue decal at the feet). Once I know my current target is a fake, I manually assign that mob to an open xtarget slot (right click, select 'current target'). Then I select a second mob and repeat the process. The blue decal should show up at ~65%. If you go past 60% and do not get a decal, you have the real target. Continue and kill this mob. At this time, you can manually swap to controlling other melee dps and autoattack down the real mob. When Narandi reforms, the above triggers will get everyone back in the fight immediately. Before event start, it would be a good idea to make sure your tank does not have a damage shield buff active.

**Not listed is my cleric, who runs MQ2Heals and a barebones KA ini. I allow the cleric to continue through the split phase with no changes, so no triggers were necessary.

When I get to Narandi I make sure my group is set up on the ice. And I make use of the events previously posted to ensure most of my DPS goes inactive when Narandi splits!

I use an SK as my main and my tank. When the group is stable on the ice I hit the camera view to max overhead with the most height I can get (hit F9 4 times from 1st person view!), then I wait for Narandi to path to the group.

I kill the dire wolf first just to eliminate it as a distraction.

The instant that Narandi splits I use one of the 3 main SK AE Aggro spells, usually Contempt or if it's down then I'll use the SK's AA Explosions of Hatred or Spite. This seems to lock the splits farther apart so that it's easier to see the decals underneath them later on. This is very important as this stage of the event is mostly trivial if the 4 versions do not stack up tightly.

While I'm tanking the first split I adjust my camera angle so that one of the adjacent versions is in the middle of my screen. If I see the blue decal under my target ring then I select the next target by mouse clicking on the version right in front of me on my screen. (Usually clicking on a giant's feet seems to work the easiest to target it!)

(With KissAssist it sometimes "jumps" back to the previous target several times so that you have to re-target the mob you want several times before the macro will stay locked on the target you want! I think you need [ TargetSwitchingOn=1 ] in the Melee section of your INI file to ensure it will eventually stay on your manually selected target!)

When I'm sure I'm on the correct one I'll hit my key which tells the rest of the group's macros to switch to my target. [ /bcg //switchnow ].

Then I immediately rotate my camera angle again to the next adjacent version so that I'm ready to click it instantly if needed! I keep rotating around the 4 versions this way until I get to the right mob. As stated earlier if you get it down to 60% and haven't seen the blue decal then you've got the right mob!

Once I'm sure I'm on the correct mob then I add some DPS from the rest of the group by using my ISBoxer passthrough key to call for DPS to my target. (This way I don't have to mess with the Events previously configured.)

Then I rinse and repeat for the remaining 2 splits. If you leave any DPS on the splits you will have to be very quick to re-target as they go down really easily.

Doing this all is considerably easier than trying to describe it in a post! :)

Question - Restless Assault

Users who are viewing this thread

Back