• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Reset device failure. Game crashing when switching between accounts (1 Viewer)

RedCents
20¢
I am having issues with my game crashing when switching between accounts. I am 6 boxing and I switch between accounts using a hotkey created with AutoLogin Profile Editor. Alt 1, Alt 2, Alt 3 etc. Works pretty well most of the time. Since the last patch when hot keying between characters, my accounts are randomly crashing when I use the hotkey. The account that crashes is the account that I am switching from. Before the last patch I would occasionally crash but since the patch it is unplayable. My windows system is up to date, and I have installed the latest video driver. I have not made any other changes to my system and only updated my video driver because of the recent crashes.

I get an error message on the account that crashed on the taskbar.

EverQuest
---------------------------
ResetDevice() failed!
OK

And then I get the error message,

EverQuest Crash Detected
MacroQuest caught a crash:
Version: 3.1.0.1631
Location: RaiseException+0 (C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll+000000000002CEB0)

CrashID: ef4c005f-4467-47ad-9c75-f6652e95eaf5

You can either:
* [RETRY] Continue execution and hope for the best.
* [CANCEL] Write a crash dump and terminate EverQuest.

Retry Cancel

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Viperfang,

When I started with RG and jumped into the playing multiple accounts, I had something similar happen to me. I was playing full screen with my accounts and this was happening to me. My PC did not like it and would do the same thing. I switched to windows mode and never had an issue again. I also learned about the frame limiter to help with the fps and lag. Not sure if your experienced that but my screen would lockup and turn black. Switching to windows mode stopped all the issues I was having. If this is related to what your experiencing hope this helps.

I am having issues with my game crashing when switching between accounts. I am 6 boxing and I switch between accounts using a hotkey created with AutoLogin Profile Editor. Alt 1, Alt 2, Alt 3 etc. Works pretty well most of the time. Since the last patch when hot keying between characters, my accounts are randomly crashing when I use the hotkey. The account that crashes is the account that I am switching from. Before the last patch I would occasionally crash but since the patch it is unplayable. My windows system is up to date, and I have installed the latest video driver. I have not made any other changes to my system and only updated my video driver because of the recent crashes.

I get an error message on the account that crashed on the taskbar.

EverQuest
ResetDevice() failed!
OK

And then I get the error message,

EverQuest Crash Detected
MacroQuest caught a crash:
Version: 3.1.0.1631
Location: RaiseException+0 (C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll+000000000002CEB0)

CrashID: ef4c005f-4467-47ad-9c75-f6652e95eaf5

You can either:
* [RETRY] Continue execution and hope for the best.
* [CANCEL] Write a crash dump and terminate EverQuest.

Retry Cancel

Any help would be appreciated.
Reset device crash is usually something like full screen to windowed mode, or a device going to sleep

Hello SGT-Trexter,

SGT thanks for the advice and the fast response! I am playing in full screen mode. I was really hoping to be able to play full screen mode but if I could not trouble shoot my issues, windowed is definitely an option, I will give a try. I am recently returning back to Everquest and Redguides and I am trying to relearn EQ and RedGuides and I am having a lot of fun while doing it! I am not sure where to find the frame limiter settings unfortunately. I did read a post about that setting, but I was unable to locate it. I am not having lag issues other than in guild hall when there is a large group of players in there. I have built a strong PC with a Nvidia 4090 Founders Edition 24GB and 64GB of 6000 MHz ram on a Sata HD. I am really hoping to get the bugs worked out so I can finish leveling up and enjoy the game and maybe do some raiding. SGT, thank you again for your help and your reply. I will keep looking for the frame limiter option.

Hello Sic,

I tab from windowed mode into full screen on startup once in the game with alt/enter. I am not sure what device could be going asleep that would cause the crash. I am not sure how to check or find out what device might be going to sleep?

Last edited:
I run all my background accounts in windows. Then fullscreen my main account. As long as I Alt+Enter to switch back to window I can run between the accounts to do turn ins if I need to. I don't know how to make the background accounts do those automatically from the driver account. Plus you run into the having to pick solo tasks from a list and need to pick those individually. This cut way down on the random crashes.

Alt enter going full screen to windowed and vice versa resizes the game screen. Resolution changes like that can cause reset device crashes with eq.

Update: I seem to have found a solution to my crashing problem. In the EQ Options/Display/Advanced Options/I put Max Background FPS to Min CPU. I am still able to run the game in full screen mode. I am running a 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KS 6.00 GHz in my system, so I don't think my PC is the problem. Maybe the game is a little finicky with its settings? I hope this might help someone else.

Hello Viperfang,

The frame limiter can be found when you click the EQ button and at the very top you will see macroquest and go to settings to bring the limiter options up. I am very new and I found that if I watch all of Sic's post and vids I can normally answer most of my own questions most of the time. I have not been a member of RG for that long. It made EQ fun for me again. I started off with playing 2 accounts, and now I play a full group of 6. I made it to 120 on all now. I was in the military 25 years and now retired. Once a Soldier always a Soldier. I am not a coder or a programmer. I do like helping out when I can. Everyone here in RG has been the best reading when everyone post an issue. Always a fast response. Great bunch of people here, I really do enjoy it.

Problem - Reset device failure. Game crashing when switching between accounts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back