• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Question on setup (1 Viewer)

whytdrumer

RedCents
1,014¢
So I’ve been going through all the guides and resources and seem to be getting a little overwhelmed by all the value and amazing stuff VV and KA can do. Now I’m at a point where I need to subscribe but am curious how long it takes to get everything setup to where yo can run a solid group. It seems like it’s a constant tweaking and improvement thing on the ini character files. But how long would it take to get things setup to where it’s fun and you’re killing mobs? Also how big is the KA and VV downloads (trying to allocate space on my Mac by installing windows on boot camp). Thanks.

depends on your skills. its not difficult to get things going in under an hour or two if you spend some time. it is overwhelming but the support of the community in discord is pretty great. tweaking is around for playstyle as i am always tweaking....... but you can run some things ronco style and set it and forget it. the base VV part will have enough tools that will make you like it right away. try it for a month. you'll be 6 boxing in a week or two.

tip to cut down the time to set up. Assemble your group and get kiss running. While running use the command /writespells. It will create a list of your current spell gems at the bottom of each toons ini. Now use the ever quest command /note. Its like a chat command but your text will be saved to a to notes.txt in everquest folder. Use it to take notes on the name of aa, disciplines, abilities, spells, and items you use. This will let you configure your ini with only 1 text file open. Typing info into ini with ever quest window is a pain. This will let you copy and paste.

I would start with a 3 box, as opposed to going with a full group. I also run eq in bootcamp with a Mac. Actually 2 macs, and eq runs fine, but I wish I had a little bit more ram. With the standard 16gb, I need to be a little careful with memory management. Just some minor graphic settings though.

If you have a 1TB SSD, then I’d partition at least 250-300gb just to be safe. If you’re running eq on a MacBook Air with 256Gb, then I’d partition as much as you can.

You’re going to have everything up and running within a week. Just going through all of RedBot’s guide videos will get you a pretty solid foundation. After that, use this guide religiously...

it helped me out a ton when I first started

VV is fairly small, but the nav meshes for mq2nav to help your toons run around are large. My install is about 2.2 gigs and 90% of that is the mq2nav folder & meshes. You could potentially cut that back if you just downloaded the meshes for zones you plan to be in often. But its nice to be able to run anywhere you want automatically.

I would start with a 3 box, as opposed to going with a full group. I also run eq in bootcamp with a Mac. Actually 2 macs, and eq runs fine, but I wish I had a little bit more ram. With the standard 16gb, I need to be a little careful with memory management. Just some minor graphic settings though.

If you have a 1TB SSD, then I’d partition at least 250-300gb just to be safe. If you’re running eq on a MacBook Air with 256Gb, then I’d partition as much as you can.

You’re going to have everything up and running within a week. Just going through all of RedBot’s guide videos will get you a pretty solid foundation. After that, use this guide religiously...

I agree, start with a smaller group in a safe zone (e.g. greens/LB). I would normally start with Tank, healer, CC. Bard is harder to get right than enchanter. I cheat and use Sic's ini (more or less).
Use Gamparse to work out if toons are casting spells (or not) to see if stuff is broken. At first just basic healing can be a pain. Then gradually work your way up.

The ini's in the library are a good start (avoid any "Almar's" though, at best they're empty at worst plain wrong/out of date and confusing). If you're running from level 1, then you can learn as you go along, adding as you get abilities and gear/clickies.

it helped me out a ton when I first started

Bookmark it! I use it often!

As for ini's.. It's a constant fiddle, it ends up being part of the fun. Especially when you're 115 and have 5 million AA abilities and spells!

There are a lot of inis you can just download and use right away. If the ini is for a character the same level as you, then it should work right away. They may be slightly different if it is for a character with more AAs or spells you haven't bought yet or something, but that is easily tweaked. Also maybe I'm a super dork but I really enjoy tinkering with the ini files. Each time makes the character behave that little bit better, and pretty soon they are acting like real people. If not better.

Question - Question on setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back