• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Public Compiles Need to Stop! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

letmein

RedCents
Public Compiles Need to Stop?

Ok, here I am doing my best Christopher Colombus impression.
(I think the world is round not flat, you all call me crazy and try to lynch me..blablablabla)

IMHO, the Public Compiles need to stop.

I appreciate the hard work of Cade, and Cosmic, and Tone, but in the long run...I honestly believe it's hurt us. Here we are, locked in a battle with the cosmic juggernaut that is SOE. People are getting banned, and we've gotten the attention of the DEV's.

For the longest time, we've been using MQ2 as an addition to our gameplay experience, which...truth be told, I don't know if I'd still be playing EQ without it.
I don't know that alot of us would be.

Then came the ghost killing of raid mobs etc which got the attention of the Dev's and people were banned. Up until then, the DEV's were resolved to allow us to slip under the radar. But the pot had to be stired.

Exploit after exploit came out for MQ2, and we got away from it's intended use. Now, we are pre-compiling it for the masses, and giving it out to everyone and their mom.

The more hands in the pot, the greater the chances of all of us getting busted, and more hands in the pot is what we certainly got.

I'm posting this as a plea, mostly because I enjoy EQ with MQ2. I don't want my fun to stop. I don't want to piss off the DEV's anymore. I want to go back to the time where we both existed in relative harmony.

I feel the only way to do this, is to remove public compiles, and NOT allow them here on the forums. This will weed out every schlep that has a credit card and 4.95.

Let's get back to posting CODE ONLY. If you aren't smart enough to do the work yourself, good. That's the point. And one less retard to ruin it for the rest of us.

Thanks again,

Me

Last edited:
cut/paste/compile is easy enough....and if you happen to accidentally lose the install CD for VS6, you can always use a fine service like Kazaa/morpheus/limewire etc to locate a *backup* .iso of the fine software you paid full price for......

Last edited:
True but that is one of the draws to Redguides, people are here willing to help others in the community. If people get banned for doing dumb things thats thier fault. Even if you compile your own MQ you can still go out and do something stupid...

Having a Public compile out there meens nothing. The MQ DEVS even made it so one person could make many compiles, via being able to use the Multi-Auth compiles. Now true we took that to the next level by bypassing the Auth system all together. However the point is still valid. MQ does not ban you, being stupid Bans you.

Then we come to the old attage of the plugins. Yes there are some really powerful plugins out there like the new modified ghost and the Superkill Plugin that will allow a tank to do over a million dps in a matter of seconds. Both of wich are easy to track and get banned for. But there are plugins out there that can do these things. With these plugins, sometimes the temptation is to great so for these on my compiles they have not been made public nor will they.

IF one is scared Sony is going to place something on your PC to see what is running, DON'T. Don't be scared, reguardles of what they place in thier EULA they can not do this. It is against the law for them to track for anything on your PC. That opens a slippry slope effect, if they can see what is running on your PC then what is to stop them from taking private banking info or anythings else. That was tha argument used 3 years ago against that gaming company in California that tried to do the same thing. Today they are no more, got the crap sued out of them.

SOoo we come bak full circle. The only way to block MQ at this point is to do a new Exe file, in which a new MQ is built and bam. They can not track what is running on your PC. MQ does not go out beyond your PC (Unless you force it to with certian plugins). If you do something stupid, expect to get nailed for it. But Public compiles are not the BANE of existance. People where getting banned for dumb things Long before Public Compiles where about here at Redguides.

True Soul, but when I first joined Redguides, there were no pre-compiles.

The sources and offsets were posted here, and help was always given if anyone had a question regarding the compile process.

That's the redguides community. We shouldn't be doing public compiles. Period.

Sure, you can compile your own and STILL do stupid shit. HOWEVER. I have to believe anyone smart enough to do the compile, and take the time enough to learn how to do it etc, is smart enough not to do shit to get themselves banned.

All I'm saying, is MQ2 doesn't offer compiles for a reason.
Other sites don't offer compiles for a reason.

We owe to the community to do what we can to weed out the asshats.

If that's banning links to compiled plugins, and MQ2...then so be it.

The compile process doesn't take that long. People can do it on their own.

I don't think releasing code only will really stop anything. The thinking that somehow being able to compile MQ makes you more responsible that someone who can't doesn't really make sense. Compiling MQ is so easy that anyone literate can do it. All only releasing code will do it increase PM's to people who can compile. I'd bet that the percentage of people who use MQ carelessly is the same among people who can compile and those who cannot. People who use it carelessly will get banned and those who do not won't. SoE will never be able to NEFR MQ completley.

letmein - That has to be the stupidest post I have ever seen, thinking that it is public compiles that are the cause of all your problems. If you look back at the past best posts, how many people on that list took the time and were nice enough to post for the masses? There are other sites that offer compiles and all you would do is cause the same thing that SOE is doing. Cut us off and we say FUCK YOU! And take our money to the next place willing to help us.

Wake up, your not going to change anything this way, people are always going to do stupid things and going to get caught, weather or not they can compile or get from someone else matters not!

Nice post.

Have you even looked at the amount of hits Cade's 1.2 compile and Cosmics compile got?

over 2 thousand each!

And that was only in what. 2 days?

The fact of the matter is, you go to MQ2's website. It's source. Not pre-compiled.

Why do you think Lax does that?

I'm simply playing devils advocate, cause noone else seems to be looking at the bigger picture.
If compiling MQ2 yourself isn't a big deal...and you can do it, why are you so threatened by my post? It's simply an idea.

If you can't compile it yourself, then maybe you shouldn't be using it?

TeachersPet said:
The ban isn't because of custom compiles. That's a fact.

LOL NO SHIT PEOPLE!

My point is simply, more and more people are joining here all the time. More people joining, downloads MQ2 and instantly can do all these uber things.

My logic says that people who are willing to do the legwork, read up on how to compile, who the plugins work, etc are MORE likely to read posts in those threads that have warnings, things not to do, stuff like that than people just coming in to get a pre-compiled MQ2 and going, "1337! letz g0 k1LL t3H r@1d m0b 4 ph@t l00tz y0 OMG!111!"

I'm going to hazard a guess that there are more members doing the latter than the former.

And that causes DEV attention, which we DON'T want, which starts the bannings.

Which NONE of us want.

Says under your named that you joined August 2005. Were you perhaps here under another name prior to that? Because they have been doing public compiles for as long as I have been a member.

Nope. I think at that time Tone had quit doing compiles. Or something to that effect.

I joined here and the MQ2 forums for the macros.

And started compiling it myself.

Letmein stop whining cuase you or your friends did something stupid to get banned. Own it lol. WEEEEEE
PS manufacturers of guns should go to prison because people use thier guns illegally. lol
/sarcasm off

PSS most of the recent bannings are from using the /shared docrack

letmein said:

Looks like you joined in August? Siddin was doing public compiles way before that.

Hi my name is ________ I do not know how to compile.

I do not know how to make a macro work.

I do like a nice map and a way to drag friends corpse fast.

I do not like ppl that use these things to ninja loot or other crap.

Should I not be able to use this? I admit to being unable to compile if not for these ppl I would never be able to use this.

Asshats come in all packages both tech smart ones and dumbasses like me.

Ripski.

Not banned. Never used active hacks.

I know, it must be unbelievable to think someone is more worried about others them himself. :eek:

:D

omgwtfman said:
Hi my name is ________ I do not know how to compile.

I do not know how to make a macro work.

I do like a nice map and a way to drag friends corpse fast.

I do not like ppl that use these things to ninja loot or other crap.

Should I not be able to use this? I admit to being unable to compile if not for these ppl I would never be able to use this.

I understand your position:

Try this. http://www.rexpage.com/myseq/forum/

And you'll never get banned for using it. :cool:

RipSki said:
PSS most of the recent bannings are from using the /shared docrack

Wrong.

letmein said:
I'm going to hazard a guess that there are more members doing the latter than the former.

Wrong.

omgwtfman said:

DING DING DING!

In other news, please delete this thread before I accidently turn it into even more of a flame fest. I have a Fire Enchantment on my Typing Fingers.

Okay, lets get one thing straight. People have been getting banned due to MQ for years now. Point? There is none. These ban fests come and go, they have before, and they will again. All it does is scare people, scares people into not using MQ and going back to the way they were playing. I run MQ, I will not play EQ without it. I can compile it myself, and most of the time I do. But that will not solve anything. Not matter how much attention is drawn to us, they cannot stop it. As long as we keep moving forward in technological advancements, they cannot do a fucking thing. Until they change the entire format in which they release EQ, or change the EULA to where they CAN scan your computer, they cant do a thing. In which case all we would do is change the names, and hide our programs better. There is nothing that we can do about asshats getting a hold of these programs, nor the asshats that use them. For those of us who use and dont abuse, we are the saviors; we are the ones that can say, 'HA BITCHES!, I use MQ for years and not a damn thing has happened to me!' because we choose to use it the smart way. Yes, I have used the shared offset, but it was to transfer gear that my bard COULD get, but means of zoning in and CoTH or being lead to the group, but COULD get. None of this time/Qvic/Anguish shit. I use my stuff smartly, and if you dont want your shit taken, i would pay attention to the things you do in game, and when you do them. Hell ya, I go afk all night long, come back, zone out and do it again, yup i sure do. But i pay attention to where i do it and check it often. MQ is not an evil program, just some people use it that way.... (now it is all of your turns to point out everything wrong in my post because im sure none of you liked what i just said, but its true. everything i wrote in there is what i do, and i, nor my dad, nor brother, nor dad's GF, have ever had a GM tell about suspicious acty or anything. so its up to you how you use it.

SS44.

Agreed.

Formatting killed the forum star. :p

Just posted my thoughts on pre-compiles. LOL

I have tried myseq it sucks windowing out to see mobs is not great.

If this goes away maybe i would do that but you missed my point.

I ignorant to how to use / compile yet im not warping to named and doing other obvious things that would get me caught/ petitioned.

What im trying to say is just because you dont know how to compile dont mean your a risk. Just because you do know how to compile dont mean your not a risk.

Frankly imo odds are those not able / knowing how to compile will be more likely to be fearful of the insanely powerful things (but maybe thats just me)

Even if public compiles were not available, I know many people who get the mq2 updates emailed to them by friends or whoever. I don't really see how different that is. I'd love to learn how to compile, but no one ever seems to respond kindly to posts asking for help. I appreciate what all you people do here (not gonna mention names 'cause I'd leave people out) more than can be said. But if I'm a risk, it's not because I'm using a public compile. Hell it's not even public, you have to pay to access this stuff. Now that I think of it, one of the most obvious users of mq2 I know is a personal real life friend of one of the mq2 devs. He's more likely to be banned (if he's not yet) than most of the people who get their compiles from this site.

Kait is right though, Siddin has been doing compiles at least since I have ever been on the site. If people cant do their own compile, let them come and use these, it makes no difference.. if they cant get it here, they would probably buy the 3.99 copy off of Playerauctions.

I got banned on an account where I only used MQ2 for the map and piggyback zone from my own compile ONCE. Its just luck of the draw. I have been using the shared bank offset on my trash account (dont really give a fuck since losing my main) since the bannings have happened, and the ban-stick hasnt hit my account yet.

These bannings happen every so often, probably Sony's way of trying to look productive like Blizz.. quit the game, move on, make another account, whatever. Redguides should continue on as it always has, and I hope that those contributors who help out the people who dont have the knowledge and/or time to do the compiles themselves carry on with their work.

For all of those who wish to learn how to compile, it is a VERY simple proceedure, minus the plugins which i still dont know how (because i havent tried yet lol) and i would be happy to give u instructions and the files/programs that i use. it is really easy, and i found all the programs on Microsoft.com so its not like i use hacked programs and such. let me check if i still have everything since i reformated my HD....I dont have them on my computer atm, but i did pack everything into a CD, so for those of you who want to learn how to compile your own, send me a PM and i will find a place to host all the files and instructions, u can reply to this message but i cant guarantee that u will get the site for them.

If you can't take the time to learn to compile your own build of MQ2, you have no business running it.

It's not that compiling MQ2 is hard. It's that it takes a certain amount of reading, and learning to get to the point where you can do it on your own. During this learning process, most people gain a certain amount of respect for the community. If people do not have to go through that natural process, then we as a community guarantee that someone stupid with no respect for the MQ2 community will cause havoc for everyone.

Stop public compiles.

During this learning process, most people gain a certain amount of respect for the community

Right... which is why the mother ship of flamings resides on the "compile it yourself" site of MQ2 forums. Compiling your own version doesnt make you more mature, or more caring of the community.

If people do not have to go through that natural process, then we as a community guarantee that someone stupid with no respect for the MQ2 community will cause havoc for everyone.

Another "Riiiight...." That is just an absolutely retarded way of looking at things lol.

Stop public compiles

A large portion of this site is due to the public compiles. You dont like it.. move along.

P.S. If you look at the poll of banned people and which compile they were using (http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php?t=6366) you will note that 77% of the people were using their own compile. I am sure that this will change soon once anti-compile people start voting for no reason, but as of now I think it serves as a good example of "STFU about stopping compiles, the bannings have nothing to do with it".

You know. I've come to the conclusion, that no matter HOW many valid points are brought up as to WHY full compiles shouldn't be posted, everyone that is too fucking stupid to figure it out on there own, will post excuses as to why it shouldn't.

There's is absolutely NO winning. So don't bother with replies.

Let this turn into a flamefest.

I'm not gonna stick up for the cock blocks on this website anymore.

Don't take this the wrong way, there are alot of cool people on this forum, and those people have either avoided this topic altogether or posted some decent comments, on either side fo the fence.

Keep getting banned, I could give a shit less anymore.

This topic is not a new one. Whenever a popular strat or program is exposed, many people feel the best thing to do is to keep it to themselves.

Don't share it, don't tell anyone about it, and save it only for an elite few.

For the record, every major exploit I've ever seen has ended up nerfed, whether it was public or kept quiet. Macroquest and ShowEQ have been attacked by SOE over and over again, whether it required compiling, a *nix box, or whatever attempt there was to keep it away from the general public.

If you can accept that, welcome to Redguides.

Last edited:
Public Compiles Need to Stop!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back