• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Plug-in vs ini (1 Viewer)

whytdrumer

RedCents
1,014¢
So I’m returning to boxing after about a year hiatus. Glad to be back :)

So normally I’ve used ini files and tweaked them slightly to try and inprove DPS. But I see there are plugins that seem to play the characters. Can someone explain the plug-in route and which might be better, using plugins or ini files.

Also what DPS should one shoot for per character and how does one strategy differ from the other (plug-in vs ini)

Thanks.

Solution

there are tons of these conversations out there. i'd definitely make sure to take some time and read some of them.

imo, you should definitely get "the basics" under you before you spend too much brain time trying to do a million different things.

Get started with kiss or rgmercs, and then adjust/change and try other stuff if/when you get comfortable enough with EQ/MQ that you can do that with a good foundation.

Things like broadcasting, hotkeys, setting up various things: framelimiter, dannet/eqbc, autofeed, autogroup, lootly etc)

before thinking about spending any money on paid resources (cwtn plugins) - you can use them on the test server with...

there are tons of these conversations out there. i'd definitely make sure to take some time and read some of them.

imo, you should definitely get "the basics" under you before you spend too much brain time trying to do a million different things.

Get started with kiss or rgmercs, and then adjust/change and try other stuff if/when you get comfortable enough with EQ/MQ that you can do that with a good foundation.

Things like broadcasting, hotkeys, setting up various things: framelimiter, dannet/eqbc, autofeed, autogroup, lootly etc)

before thinking about spending any money on paid resources (cwtn plugins) - you can use them on the test server with your lvl 2 redguide's subscription.

Please see >>> Getting Started with CWTN plugins! (Movement, UI Window, Clickies, Pulling, ETC) Check Here First! <<<

kissassist is a very widely used, popular automation, and allows for some good levels of customization while still handling a lot of things for you. you can use conditional statements to offer customization
rgmercs is designed to be an "out of the box" with minimal setup macro suite
cwtn plugins are designed to be an "out of the box" with minimal setup class plugins
there are plenty of other options too, entropy, xgen, muleassist, modbot, etc

once you have a good foundation it is a good idea to try out a few things and see what meets your needs

Solution
Plugins are pretty much designed to do all the thinking for you.
"ini" options typically allow you customization's that you wouldn't be able to utilize with the plugins.

Plugins do offer options which can be adjusted with the built in UI for each plugins that allow you to adjust some variation of play. Such as turning on and off some specific abilities or options.
If you want to check out the plugins and make an informed decision for yourself you'll want to check them out on the test server prior to making a purchase. Simply log your characters in on live and /testcopy, then using redguides level 2 download of the test server Very Vanilla you can try them out for free.

Plugins are pretty much designed to do all the thinking for you.
"ini" options typically allow you customization's that you wouldn't be able to utilize with the plugins.

Plugins do offer options which can be adjusted with the built in UI for each plugins that allow you to adjust some variation of play. Such as turning on and off some specific abilities or options.
If you want to check out the plugins and make an informed decision for yourself you'll want to check them out on the test server prior to making a purchase. Simply log your characters in on live and /testcopy, then using redguides level 2 download of the test server Very Vanilla you can try them out for free.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I’m more of a tinkerer and like optimizing my characters so I think sticking with the ini’s are my best option right now. Thanks for the great explanation.

I mean that's really just the basic part of it. There is functionality you get with the plugins as well that you don't get with the macros.

As mentioned already it has a UI.
The plugins draw your pull radius/arc on the map.
All changes are instantly applied at the click of a button as opposed to needing to edit an INI and restart the macro.
The plugins don't need to be started every time you log in, they're just on (can be paused).
The plugins are optimized to optimize you. Just memorize a new spell? That's fine, the plugin will automatically update what it's going to use.
Don't want a specific buff because you want a different one that doesn't stack? No problem, just block the spell using EQ spell blocking, the plugins won't try to cast them on you anymore.
Missing spells/discs but don't know which ones? No problem, the plugin will check and let you know what you're missing that it'd prefer to use.

These are just some of the things that the plugins offer. I didn't mean to be dismissive and insinuate that the only difference was if you could tweak every single thing about your character. It was meant to suggest that in the simplest way that one is customizable and one has limited options for customization. I still encourage you to check them out free on the test server before you make up your mind. Only thing you have to lose is the time it takes you to investigate it.

Personally I wish I had viewd the CWTN class plugins before dabbling with KA. In my opinion, these plugins are like the difference between driving a VW vs Porche.
and that is certainly the experience for some, but certainly not all.

I, of course, personally use the plugins - but you can do all of the things you want to do in this game with many different automation suites.

one of the tradeoffs with the plugins is that ultimately decisions get made for you, and sometimes that may not be fitted to your personal needs or style - and that is totally ok.

one of the best things about the MQ platform is there are so many different ways to do things, and if you don't like them you can also make your own!

once you have a good footing under you, it will benefit you greatfly to try out different things and see how stuff fits your needs/wants/goals

So im not sure what the difference is between CWTN and the KA ini files that are available throughout the site and shared between everyone. Could someone explain this to me? Is it ease of use? What is the range in content/levels currently in these plugins? For example if i were to purchase MQ2Shaman plugin made by CWTN what would be the major benefits...or maybe differences is a better way of saying it... versus using the shared KA ini files made by other great content creators here?

Please make sure to search - there are very robust conversations that already exist with large answers and opinions.

Not searching and looking for previous threads or skipping looking at the prompt that says similar threads exist, you deny yourself of getting good solid information from people who have already taken time to type out and provide a large amount of information.

the "Plug-in vs ini" thread is the very first thing that shows up

1683726086151.png

I'm going to merge this thread into that plug-in vs ini thread

Question - Plug-in vs ini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back