• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Tech - Please help (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,052¢
For some time now and probably coinciding with Microsoft releasing 8.1, every time i click on either Wineq or macroquest shortcuts, I get a User Account Control asking me to confirm whether I want to run the program. I'm also unable to download the compile from RG yet I can torrent my ass off and download lots of other things. I get around 5MB in and it cancels saying Failed - Network error.
I have turned off Smartscreen or whatever that poxy safety feature is both through the internet and the new version which apparently looks after your offline activity (utter arse to be honest).

So, every time a new compile is pushed out, I can't get it and have to ask for a dropbox link or whatever.

Can anyone help? I really don't want to re-install everything and am certain it's something in Windows 8.1 settings that I am missing.

I think the problem really lies in Windows 8 and the security features put into place. I have 2 identical laptops. One has an admin account with no password, and the other has an admin account WITH a password. When logged in as a regular user, I have to manually say YES I want to run this program. On the computer that requires a password with my YES, I have tons of errors with injection, missing DLL, and occasionally download errors. That said, you could back step to remove some security from your windows 8 computer, or as Dulak said, downgrade to Windows 7. I plan to buy a copy of Windows 7 and upgrade myself over the weekend.

I am running Windows 8 and I have to run many programs via right click->run as administrator. I have all sorts of weird problems if I don't run MQ2 and WinEQ via right click->run as administrator. I actually can't even run EQ, WinEQ, MQ2 and most of my games unless I do this.

I also run Classic Shell to make Windows 8 look normal. I cant even use Windows 8 without Classic Shell. Win 8 has the worst user interface I have ever seen on any OS.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I'm on the latest Win8 and have not had to run as admin on anything (EQ, MQ2, Magelo, etc). However I also pinned those programs (both the launchpad and the workaround "patchme") to the task bar for easier access.

Tech - Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back