• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Question - Please don't flame me - usual length of time for an update? (1 Viewer)

EQbackagain

RedCents
1,571¢
As I'm relatively new to this - just wondering (in your experience), how long does it usually take to get MQ2 up and running after a new expansion?

Just wondered if we are talking hours, days, weeks or months! I'm not going to pester anyone for more than just a rough idea!

Normal patches do not take too long (1 day ish). However, new expansions take a bit longer (not really sure on this one, although they had a working beta compile). Donations to eqmule do help speed up the process though :). He puts a ton of time into keeping MQ running for us junkies...

Its never the same ,it could be 10 minutes from now it could be 3 Am. The changes the the devs need to make are never the same. They could run into a snag and spend the rest of the night troubleshooting. Being patience is we can do to help, well beyond throwing money at them :)

On a side note, it was pointed out that since they had beta and test compiles running this shouldn't be days.

It all depends on how much changed

In this case there are changes to spells (which in turn means abilities/items/other effects) along with a task revamp.

Basically the developers not only have to identify and reconnect this to that, so MQ works like it did before the patch, but also any changes made that may require additional coding, and how best to go about it... and of course test it. As this is a patch plus an expansion release, there could be plenty that were not covered in the beta/test. SOE/DBG are bad about introducing changes only at patch and not test.

Your best bet is to just plan on it being down for a few days and just check the boards now and again. There ought to be a post saying to run the patcher coming along shortly =)

And if you can manage it, toss the developers some beer money. Remember this is all voluntary work, and it takes away from not only their game play but also time they could be doing other things.

It should never take more than a few hours, I ran into a snag with fellowships that I didn't discover during beta why it took longer than expected this time.
In fact I've released before the servers came back up plenty of times.

Last edited:
Question - Please don't flame me - usual length of time for an update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back