• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Play Wow from work! (1 Viewer)

ShutdownZo6

RedCents
11¢
I found this guide on www.rpgexpert.com/4649.html wirtten by someone who calls themself "J"...but the pictures wont load in IE, so this is my IE friendly version. enjoy.

:)

Playing World of Warcraft behind a Firewall

Are you stuck behind a university firewall? Have you found out that your school does not allow online games to be played due to their “high bandwidth” usage? Or perhaps your work for that matter? ;P Well… you are obviously not alone. J But no need to panic, I have a possible solution for you!

DISCLAIMER: This will only work on computers hooked up to the Internet through a LAN. [Meaning, I don’t know how to hook it up for dial-up users. :P] This may/may not work for some of you. This could be due to the fact that you are blocked totally and there’s nothing you can do or you have set something up improperly. All I can suggest is read this tutorial carefully! Otherwise, you might want to check out the HTTP-Tunnel forums for more support. I’d also like to point out that I am, by no means, a networking guru. Quite frankly, I am a novice. All I did was compile a few forum posts I had found into one easy-to-read [Hopefully!] tutorial. Keep in mind; if something goes wrong during the tutorial, I am not responsible for any damage you cause to your computer/internet connection/sanity. Use this at your own risk!

1). You will need to download the following programs:

HTTP - Tunnel

and

SocksCap

2). Unzip the HTTP-Tunnel package you downloaded to your desktop or wherever you wish to keep HTTP-Tunnel. Feel free to make a folder for it on your desktop for easy access.

3). Run the HTTP-TunnelClient.exe file. [A window may pop up asking for a key… click the “Use Free Service” button for now]. You will need to configure it. If the configuration window does not pop up by itself, please click on the configuration button as pictured below.

image001.gif

4). Once you have the configuration window open, choose “Auto detect”.

image002.gif

It should set everything up for you. Now click the “Test” button. This test needs to execute successfully or HTTP-Tunnel will not work, period. If you are having trouble with HTTP-Tunnel installation and configuration, I cannot help you. You will need to visit the HTTP-Tunnel forums. If the test is successful, it will look like the picture shown below:

image003.gif

5). Assuming the test passed and HTTP-Tunnel connected, you can now shrink HTTP-Tunnel [It is an icon in your sys tray.] and now we can install SocksCap. [You could install either first, but I figured it would be easier this way…]

6). Run the .exe file you downloaded for SocksCap to install it.

7). After you go through the SocksCap installation, you will need to configure it. If it is your first time running the program, the settings window should appear right after the EULA. If not, go to File > Settings.

::: EDIT!!In the picture, the IP Address is wrong, it should be 127.0.0.1

image004.gif

8). Once the main window appears, click the “New” button. Next click the “Browse…” button and point it to WoW.exe. [Find it on your hard drive.] Then click OK.

image005.gif

9). Now to see if you can play! To run WoW properly, double-click on the WoW icon in SocksCap [Or you could right-click on the WoW icon and select “Run socksified!”].

image006.gif

10). If it works, congrats! You can now play WoW. If not, I have one more thing to suggest to you; so keep reading. J

NOTE: The free HTTP-Tunnel service allows you a limited amount of bandwidth [About 5kbps/s or so… usually depending on if its on or off peak times.] so EXPECT high latency. However, if you wish to lower this number significantly and keep it consistent, I suggest paying the $5 a month for access to the high bandwidth servers. Those provide unlimited bandwidth to its users. It won’t be super low latency on the high bandwidth servers, but at least its playable.

11). If WoW does not seem to want to connect, we can try configuring IE. [It’s possible for WoW to use the IE engine to connect.] Open up Internet Explorer. [You will need version 5.5 or above.] Go to Tools > Internet Options.

image007.gif

12). Now click on the “Connections” tab. Click on the button “LAN Settings” near the bottom right of the window.

image008.gif

13). Check the box that is next to “Use a proxy server for your LAN”. In the Address box, type “localhost” and for the port type “1080”. Also make sure the box next to “Bypass proxy server for local addresses” is checked.

image009.gif

14). Click OK to close the LAN Settings window. Click OK again to close the Internet Options window. You should be able to use IE as usual. [If not, then please revert back to IE’s original settings. However, you might want to try and see if WoW works first.]

15). It would probably be best to close both HTTP-Tunnel and SocksCap and restart them again to see if any errors occur. If HTTP-Tunnel cannot connect, then you obviously will not be able to log into WoW. At that point, I would suggest going to the HTTP-Tunnel forums and seeing if you can get an answer to your problem there.

16). On the other hand, if HTTP-Tunnel proceeds to connect, then we can go ahead and run WoW from SocksCap and see if it works! If it does, be happy. You can now play WoW. [If not, haha, you suck at life. :P Just kidding, the HTTP-Tunnel forums are your friend; you should go there and seek out some help if the tutorial doesn’t go as planned.]

The end! Happy WoWing! J

If you cannot see it, the images show up fine in Mozilla Firefox 1.5

Last edited:
lol, can anyone say "You're fired!" or "3 day suspension from school"? :) jk. with my luck though, that is what would happen to me

I remember seeing one of my teachers doing this except she was looking at pictures from vacation.

Installed and tested the High Speed connection.
Tested from work (firewalled) added ~800MS latency, Home (cablemodem) added ~300MS latency.

Kinda funny work has multiple OC3 connections to the Internet. Might be the damn PIX firewall.

Last edited:
Nice guide but I personally wont risk it in school. Its not like I have the time in school anyways unless I skip class. :D But I would rather play WoW then do work. (Who wouldnt?)

PS: I just noticed this is my 99 post. Yes its random but I feel that I need to spread the wonderful news!! :o

high speed service is like playing at 56k for me. i get about 500ms course im using ebay's corperate network

Play Wow from work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back