• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Pet focus items, for pet classes, hidden level requirement? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,616¢
Hi RedGuides

I know very little about the pet classes but enough that said pet focus items are good items!

I would like to ask your input on these ear pieces, with different level of "Enhanced Minion" focus effects.
1633046959677.png

The details I've seen for the Enhanced Minion are as follows:
Paragon's Ear Stud of the Summoner (Enhanced Minion V)Oozing Bone Spike (Enhanced Minion VII)
Increase Pet Power (75)Increase Pet Power (110)
Limit Max Level (90)Limit Max Level (100)
Lmint Min Level (76)Lmint Min Level (76)

Both of the ear pieces say they have a required level of 75.
They have been equipped, the pet freshly summoned with surprising results.

Testing with the level 76 spell "Core of Air" to see what happens:-
  • No item equipped, both in bags - pet level 75. Expected.
  • Both items equipped, - pet level 75. Odd
  • Oozing equpped (EM 12), Paragon in bag (EM 5) - pet level 75. Very Odd.
  • Paragon equipped (EM 5), Oozing in bag (EM 12) - pet level 79. Happy.

Something is not right there!

As a side story, the "Elegant Summoner's Earring" can be purchased in PoK for platinum. It has the focus "Servant of Chaos".
That focus details itself as Power (40), Max level (85) and Min Level (66).

If I recall rightly, I have seen a level 70 pet become summoned as level 72 with that equipped.
Given the Enhanced Minion V added 4 levels, it was very interesting to see mention of the Enhanced Minion XII earring.

There is a youtube video that talked about the earring as being "the BEST pet boost item level 75-85".
It talked about the raidloot view of Increase Pet Power focus items.

e.g.
1633049539731.png

Now you can understand my excitement, having seen what the lower range of focus items can do.
To see the stories about this mob drop that will be more power, filled anticipation to go and hunt for it.

I don't understand why it doesn't appear to be working.

Is there a hidden level requirement for these things?

Regards and Best Wishes

if i remember correct, you have to use a pet spell that hits within the min and max level, once the pet spell surpasses that or is too low for that the effect wont focus

This is a result of some changes made that affects several pet focuses that originally weren't attainable at this low of a level. Enhanced Minion XII will start to work properly at either 81 or 86, I don't remember which offhand. However, because its minimum level says it works, it 'tries' to work and takes priority. There is nothing in the database for this focus to pull from, so it just results in a default pet instead. Since it's a higher pet focus than the other equipped, it never checks the other at all.

Every pet focus for every single pet spell it affects is added to a database by hand. Since this pet focus didn't go that low originally, they never added values for what this pet should be back then. Now that it can go that low, they still weren't ever added.

This was reported years ago and remains broken, as you can see.

EDIT: Here's a forum post from 2017 talking about this exact item.

Last edited:
@Avian Nicely detailed, and with links to old EQ forum posts too. Well done.

On the surface, it looks like it should work but in the depths of the codes it does not. A feature of EQ, unaddressed by the devs.

For information, the guide I learned of this earring from they used it to focus up a pet from level 81 spell. At least there is that to look forward to.

As often the case here, the RedGuides community has the answer. Thanks again.

Most new expansions they "forget" to add the pet names to the summoned earring/spell ! iirc was in RoS/ToV that it had to be pointed out pets are not being focused. now with pets not increasing in level when focused it is harder to detect.

Really is a stupid way to do a focus, should in the summoning process have a check what the pet level is going to be then check focus and then upgrade or not. Way less things to remember to do each release. guess they are unable to get this done for reasons.

Question - Pet focus items, for pet classes, hidden level requirement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back