• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

PC Ugrade part 2 (1 Viewer)

pythag1

RedCents
25¢
Hello again,
Off topic I suppose but I have decided to opt for a new pc :) , now I believe that you can use the old one and create a home server. I want this to hold all my music,videos etc plus possibly set up a private server for emu, having about 6 devices I want a central point for all the data so:-

1: Can I do this with a redundent pc?
2: I believe linux is better as a server, if yes can I connect with other window devices?
3: Anyone have useful links to linux as its alien if your windows inclined?

Thank for any help

if you have never worked with linux, then go windows.
You can do pretty much everthing with it, the limit is your memory and HDD mostly for server stuff

A lot people that want to run linux emus do so on their windows box using a Virtual Machine VM environment. There are 1 or 2 guides for setting up a VM with debian linux I think at eqemulator.net on a windows machine. If you not familiar with linux though i would just stick with the windows install.

Hello again,
Off topic I suppose but I have decided to opt for a new pc :) , now I believe that you can use the old one and create a home server. I want this to hold all my music,videos etc plus possibly set up a private server for emu, having about 6 devices I want a central point for all the data so:-

1: Can I do this with a redundent pc?
2: I believe linux is better as a server, if yes can I connect with other window devices?
3: Anyone have useful links to linux as its alien if your windows inclined?

Thank for any help

If you are just using it as a media server it doesnt take alot of processing muscle at all. Hell 900MHz ARM processors are able to handle the serving of multimedia files.

Linux can connect to windows devices. This is done through SAMBA. Samba basically emulates personal networks of windows machines but may be limited. You can also serve up files with a private FTP server or private HTTP server. You'll have to connect by IP to your server it'll probably be something like http://192.168.1.###

If you arent using it for anything else it'll be a learning experience.

PC Ugrade part 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back