• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

OK not MQ question but close (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawwar

RedCents
20¢
OK loaded windows XP pro last week have a single core proc with 2G mem Geforce 6200 256 APG have (diver 91.47 I think) directX 9.0c installed and now I CANNOT run EQ for more then 3 or 4 minutes. I have no other programs installed.

What happenes is this ... start EQ NO wineq (do not work with wineq either)or MQ and starts fine good resolution and so on .... then all the little graphics (bushes and such) start flashing then next I know my windows such as chat or hotboxes fade. Then system goes into slow motion and eventually crashes.... have tried every video driver I can find and none make a difference.

The other issue I find is if I zone right after start-up I crash to system reboot.... having serious withdrawels. I have also done a complete reinstall of EQ.

Hoping some guru here will have an idea.. I remember something that had to be done right after directx 9.0 was required but mine was ok so did not have to do anything.

I had been running win2000 fine for over a year. Could 3 box without issue but system crashed so loaded winxp pro

first thing I always do when crashing after a few min from a game like eq is check out how hot the processor/videocard/ram is getting. Xp uses more resources than 2000 did and it could be putting the equipment over the edge heat wise. Can also be dust/hair buildup on a fan/heatsink. Before I get crazy troubleshooting drivers and software problems I always check for excessive heat, and it never hurts to get in there and blow out the dust.

Ditto what Dobey said.

The slow down sounds like it's the graphics card and/or CPU trying to reduce heat generation.

Another way to test the problem is to load another 3d game and give it a run.

Also a can of compressed air is a life saver for identifying these problems. The air is extremely cold when it leaves the canister and is commonly used on "hot spots" when problems start, to see if it removes the problem temporarily. This would be a sure sign its the heat issues and not some worm/virus/faulty equipment.

Ok had a dirty fan and temp was a lil high... forgot to check it and also found out my BIOS was blocking part of my video card ... XP demads full bore on the card while 2000 didn't .... am loading new BIOS tonight and replacing a couple cooling fans and see what happens .. thanks

Oh sure and now there is a patch ... go figure ... having the shakes and jitters now

OMG another eqgame.exe !!!!

I HATE PATCH DAYS !!!

Many thanks to all you who post the precompiles so quick for those of us without the means to compile.

Ah, a question right up my alley - first, has eq ever run on this machine? You didn't specify any changes in hardware so I'm guessing nothing changed there. What motherboard / cpu are you using? Sometimes XP's default chipset drivers do function but they don't work well. This is the case for almost all NVidia chipset boards.

Anyway, if EQ was working with W2K and all you did was install a new OS, heat's not the primary thing I'd check first, but it's never a bad idea to make darn sure your fans are moving properly and the make sure to blow out the air ducts/fins of the heatsink(s). Also, if you have to remove any heatsinks, clean them off WELL and apply fresh heat sink grease (get help with this if you don't know exactly how to do it).

The BIOS is also a good thing to keep up to date, since many companies will release an update that may fix all kinds of minor bugs and they will only annouce 1 or 2 major things it actually addressed. Manufacturers don't recommend you update your BIOS unless you're having a problem. But this is, IMHO, only to prevent accidents while updating it. REMEMBER, IF THE BIOS UPDATE DOES NOT COMPLETE, YOUR MOTHERBOARD IS PROBABLY TRASHED. Never, never, never flash the BIOS on a motherboard that might have a virus or has any crashing that could happen during an update process.

Ok, now on to the things I personally believe would help the most. Make certain to have the latest video driver (93.71 is the latest nvidia driver for xp). Did you make sure to get the latest chipset driver? If it's an Intel or VIA chipset board, it's easy to get the latest, but if it's NVidia, make certain you get the right one. There are multiple drivers for chipsets in the same series - there are differences but many people don't fully read, coprehend, or just pay attention to the subtle differences that can make the difference between a driver that works well and a driver that's close. After that, but before running any 3D game, get the latest Direct X updates - the latest runtime was updated on 1/9/07 and is found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=2

Also, it's always a good idea to do all the updates at windowsupdate.microsoft.com. The CRITICAL and SOFTWARE UPDATES are crucial, again IMO. I don't recommend the HARDWARE UPDATES unless you're experiencing problem. The drivers aren't always the most up to date.

If all else fails, post a complete list of your hardware (right down to the power supply, model #s on the memory, and even the devices plugged in) and I can tell ya a lot more direct info.

Norrathian said:
If all else fails, post a complete list of your hardware (right down to the power supply, model #s on the memory, and even the devices plugged in) and I can tell ya a lot more direct info.

Ok as far as all that info goes .... cleaned fans and monitored temps.. all are good with or without EQ running .... next came installing all updates from microsoft ... no change .... have installed 2 different video cards both nvidia 5200 and 6200 have tried all drives from 71.89 up to 93 no help .... did do an update to BIOS last night successfully .... no help can run about 1/2 way across a zone for it locks and CPU is banged to 100%

will work on list and send it to you ...

did driver updates and all but chip sets are 100% not sure on chip set

I have 3 boxed this machine for 2 years just fine with 2gig on it 2700 mem sticks running an old ASUS board with AMP 1700 proc .... it was only after installing win XP Pro service pack 2 that this happened... relaoded EQ 100% and no other programs running ... (nothing installed but directx 9.0c) did try with winEQ before reload just to see and the same ....did a everest report with no issues noted did havea directx 9.0c that said was runnign debugs but reloaded that with no help ... took resolutions down low and still nothing... was gonna try drop kicking it but figured I would wait till after patch....

XP tends to be "fussier" about hardware than 2000 was (which in turn was fussier than ME, 98, 95 etc etc)

Defintly do the chipset driver update, with asus boards the 3rd letter of the model is the chipset.. V for Via (A7V, P5V), N for Nvidia (M2N), A for Ali (A7A), S for SIS (P5S). Unless your board is totally ancient it should follow that naming standard.

For arguments sake, re-install DX 9.0c, then the chipset drivers, then the video drivers. Try and make sure every single driver is WHQL certified, even if that means going to a slightly older driver.

Download a copy of 3DMark, and run it through a few times. does the PC shit itself in the banchmark or is it fine? Unless i'm going blind you also havnt said whether its JUST EQ thats doing this or other games as well.

here is the info I can pull right now on chip set ... hope this is what you need

Rich (BB code):
	[ South Bridge: VIA VT82C686B ] 

South Bridge Properties: 
			South Bridge   	VIA VT82C686B 
			Revision   	40 
			Package Type   	352 Pin BGA 
			Package Size   	2.7 cm x 2.7 cm 
			Process Technology   	0.35 um 
			Core Voltage   	3.3 V 

Chipset Manufacturer: 
			Company Name   	Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Bios was updated last night .... have rolled back video as far back as I could got different results with different drives

Ok heres the up date ... loaded new chips driver and can at least zone now... I am still saturating my CPU if I tone the system down and look down a lot its better I can see it failing as the CPU hit about 98% then video fails... ram is running about 1G so not to bad I have 2g.....

Ok update to the update ... just logged on with mem tracker running and soon as I logged in my 256mb of vid mem crashed to 8mb available ... something sucked 248meg mem of video card just like that.

Last edited:
OK not MQ question but close
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back