• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - OK computer experts, I have an FPS issue (1 Viewer)

Ninjapickle

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,307¢
I have 2 PC's, both running an RX580 graphics card. One of them runs great (Ryzen 5 3600 @3.6 Ghz with 48gb ram), but the other one(i5-4690 @3.5Ghz with 32gb ram) has EQ running at 20-25 FPS despite me setting everything I can find to max performance for FPS. This is causing enough lag to be an issue. When I use either task manager or the graphic cards software to monitor things, both show very low cpu and gpu usage on the laggy computer (less than 10% typically). Meanwhile on the other computer I have 20+ accounts going and showing close to 100% cpu usage and 70% or more gpu usage with zero lag.
Ok super smart computer geeks, do your thing!

P.S. the laggy comp hasn't always had this issue. I even wiped the HD and started over, so that there are only 3 things installed on it now, EQ, MQ2, and MTGA.

I have 2 PC's, both running an RX580 graphics card. One of them runs great (Ryzen 5 3600 @3.6 Ghz with 48gb ram), but the other one(i5-4690 @3.5Ghz with 32gb ram) has EQ running at 20-25 FPS despite me setting everything I can find to max performance for FPS. This is causing enough lag to be an issue. When I use either task manager or the graphic cards software to monitor things, both show very low cpu and gpu usage on the laggy computer (less than 10% typically). Meanwhile on the other computer I have 20+ accounts going and showing close to 100% cpu usage and 70% or more gpu usage with zero lag.
Ok super smart computer geeks, do your thing!

P.S. the laggy comp hasn't always had this issue. I even wiped the HD and started over, so that there are only 3 things installed on it now, EQ, MQ2, and MTGA.
I would strongly encourage you to install MacroQuest "Next". soon it will be *the* version of MacroQuest we have here at RG, plus the performance increases are substantial.

once you slap on frame limiter you're going to be fist-pumping the air in excitement.

ensuring you change all instances of cpuaffinity to =-1 in your eqclient.ini is very important.

for 6 concurrent toons it would look like like with 0-5 (6 total) entries all set to `-1`
INI:
cpuaffinity0=-1
cpuaffinity1=-1
cpuaffinity2=-1
cpuaffinity3=-1
cpuaffinity4=-1
cpuaffinity5=-1

on top of that usual stuff I would make sure you have eq and mq2 logs turned off on that other computer, and you don't have antivirus scanning, or any sort of syncing like onedrive.

What changed on the other computer when EQ started running poorly, or has it always run poorly with the same graphics card? Could be a bad or old driver installed on the poorly performing computer. And also what these guys said ^

All drivers and directx are the same on both computers. It started awhile back and I just put off dealing with it for a long time since I had the newer computer running smoothly, so I can't be sure what changed. Still, with a completely fresh install of windows after formatting the HD, it seems any software issues should have gone away.
SIC may have nailed it with the cpu settings in the ini file, I didn't remember to change those with the new install. I'll know soon enough.

Totally odd.. but if my desktop needs a chrome update, its will lag out on even 1 char.. when normally i can run 54+.. not sure why that one thing kills it :shrug: it does let me know when there is a update needed! :bang:

Check to see if there is an energy saver mode stuck on as well. Particularly if your using a pc with a battery, seen that happen when the cpu could cap at a low percentage no matter what I did

I would strongly encourage you to install MacroQuest "Next". soon it will be *the* version of MacroQuest we have here at RG, plus the performance increases are substantial.

once you slap on frame limiter you're going to be fist-pumping the air in excitement.

ensuring you change all instances of cpuaffinity to =-1 in your eqclient.ini is very important.

for 6 concurrent toons it would look like like with 0-5 (6 total) entries all set to `-1`
INI:
cpuaffinity0=-1
cpuaffinity1=-1
cpuaffinity2=-1
cpuaffinity3=-1
cpuaffinity4=-1
cpuaffinity5=-1

on top of that usual stuff I would make sure you have eq and mq2 logs turned off on that other computer, and you don't have antivirus scanning, or any sort of syncing like onedrive.
Did all of the above, and still the same issue. I'll swap soon to NEXT on the good computer, and if the results are as good as everyone says, I'll just run both crews on one comp. Thanks for the advice!

maybe some /log runnin ? and the log file is getting too big?
On a fresh install of windows, with the only installed programs being EQ, RG, and Magic the Gathering: Arena, and barely having run the computer at all, it seems unlikely. How big could a log file get when hardly anything has been run? Though to be fair, I know pretty much nothing about them.

Mostly likely your Radeon card, check your settings especially power settings. Also, if your FPS is constant on all EQ instance, it might be within EQ itself somewhere. Another thing, your CPU is intel 4th Gen i5-4690 so check your BIOS settings for (HyperThreading - Any limit on CPU cores - Power settings - Which GPU Motherboard was set to use as default, built-in or discreet)

Mostly likely your Radeon card, check your settings especially power settings. Also, if your FPS is constant on all EQ instance, it might be within EQ itself somewhere. Another thing, your CPU is intel 4th Gen i5-4690 so check your BIOS settings for (HyperThreading - Any limit on CPU cores - Power settings - Which GPU Motherboard was set to use as default, built-in or discreet)

yeah. That is why I am asking about if anything can get it to spike. Happens to me once and I realized nothing was pushing the processes after formatting to try and fix the sluggish computer. His issue strikes me asa power setting limit.

i had an issue with lag, this was the cause

Ok so I went through and tested all the graphic settings in the options menu in game. I tried every combination and found that if I uncheck *allow hw Vertex shaders* it causes a ton of lag, even if everything else is on.. I now have everything else off and the second I uncheck that and log back in its instant 5 fps.. im sitting at 135 fps in the lobby with 30 people next to me.

i had an issue with lag, this was the cause

Ok so I went through and tested all the graphic settings in the options menu in game. I tried every combination and found that if I uncheck *allow hw Vertex shaders* it causes a ton of lag, even if everything else is on.. I now have everything else off and the second I uncheck that and log back in its instant 5 fps.. im sitting at 135 fps in the lobby with 30 people next to me.
I'll give that shot when I get home tomorrow, thanks.

Please explain how that does anything other then what Vsync of Freesync does?
Assuming you are being genuine here, these are completely orthogonal ideas. VSync is for the screen refresh rate, which helps prevent tearing -- it's nothing to do with FPS or framerate. Framelimiter will throttle how fast things display on your screen so that you can more easily run multiple clients without one taking up all the resources.

Assuming you are being genuine here, these are completely orthogonal ideas. VSync is for the screen refresh rate, which helps prevent tearing -- it's nothing to do with FPS or framerate. Framelimiter will throttle how fast things display on your screen so that you can more easily run multiple clients without one taking up all the resources.

I do understand what they are.

Just explain how limit the FPS vs Lock the FPS is different?

75FPS is 75FPS no matter what .. Vsync locks the FPS on your Hz on the monitor you have.

And the game already has a min fps on the background? Mine is on 30FPS, also BACKGROUND is on 30FPS not the main window, the MAIN windows is on 75FPS, and my monitor is on 75HZ also 75FPS, tho I use Vsynd, and FreeSync.

So again.

''Please explain how that does anything other then what Vsync of Freesync does? ''

For me '' framelimiter '' is just like Vsync, nothing else. AKA, it will not help OP.

I do understand what they are.

Just explain how limit the FPS vs Lock the FPS is different?

75FPS is 75FPS no matter what .. Vsync locks the FPS on your Hz on the monitor you have.

And the game already has a min fps on the background? Mine is on 30FPS, also BACKGROUND is on 30FPS not the main window, the MAIN windows is on 75FPS, and my monitor is on 75HZ also 75FPS, tho I use Vsynd, and FreeSync.

So again.

''Please explain how that does anything other then what Vsync of Freesync does? ''

For me '' framelimiter '' is just like Vsync, nothing else. AKA, it will not help OP.
One is a graphic constructing process, other is your physical monitor frequency of update of the provided rendered object..

One is a graphic constructing process, other is your physical monitor frequency of update of the provided rendered object..

Yes?

Game is very bad coded, its nothing we can fix with some software fix..

The stuttering and bad rendering will always be there, no matter what.

But OP clearly has some flaw on the system.

The recommendation on Next and Frame Limiter was to free up resources. I think you may have read it as a direct answer to fixing a frame rate issue and that’s what’s causing the misunderstanding. It is an idea to increase overall performance in the hope that impacts (and resolves) the performance of the foreground client, indirectly resolving the issue.

I think you’re thinking of “limit” as “lock” and that’s where the confusion is coming from.

The purpose of Vsync/Freesync/Gsync is to improve the visuals at a high frame rate. In particular, gsync/freesync helps you get a higher framerate with vsync-like functionality.

The purpose of the framelimiter is to lower the framerate and thus reduce the game has on the system when multiboxing by disabling rendering when in the background. The framelimiter is actually pretty advanced, and can keep the game running at a good speed while also slowing down the rendering. The end result is a responsive game that doesn't have any impact on GPU performance and low cpu usage but still is able to keep up with game events and move without falling off ledges etc.

Framelimiter is an interesting question here because if the issue is graphics related, framelimiter would prevent stuttering because it wouldn't be rendering the graphics.

The purpose of Vsync/Freesync/Gsync is to improve the visuals at a high frame rate. In particular, gsync/freesync helps you get a higher framerate with vsync-like functionality.

The purpose of the framelimiter is to lower the framerate and thus reduce the game has on the system when multiboxing by disabling rendering when in the background. The framelimiter is actually pretty advanced, and can keep the game running at a good speed while also slowing down the rendering. The end result is a responsive game that doesn't have any impact on GPU performance and low cpu usage but still is able to keep up with game events and move without falling off ledges etc.

Framelimiter is an interesting question here because if the issue is graphics related, framelimiter would prevent stuttering because it wouldn't be rendering the graphics.

Modern PC's, like from 2012 can easily handle EQ with lots of crap in the background.. unless OP has a million trojans that mines crypto on the PC..

Doubt the issue lies on the RX580.. really doubt it.

Game is like 99% cpu bound, more like he has a energy saving on and cripple the PC 80%.

Does OP Uses a HDD or SSD or nvme? If a HDD, check if thats health is ok.

How many instances of EQ are you talking about Peppe? Because it sounds like you’re talking about one which is not what we’re talking about.

My computer runs EQ just fine as well, until I click the “compile” button. That doesn’t mean I have an old slow computer. Things don’t run in isolation.

Modern PC's, like from 2012 can easily handle EQ with lots of crap in the background.. unless OP has a million trojans that mines crypto on the PC..

Doubt the issue lies on the RX580.. really doubt it.

Game is like 99% cpu bound, more like he has a energy saving on and cripple the PC 80%.

Does OP Uses a HDD or SSD or nvme? If a HDD, check if thats health is ok.
You may be at least partially right. I disconnected the 580 and uninstalled the software and nothing changed. I'm running an SSD. Power settings are set to high performance, so it isn't that.

did that fix the issue?
I actually went so far as to just uninstall the software and remove the card, switching to onboard graphics and the problem still exists. Even a single copy of EQ only gets 20-25 fps. My laptop is older, slower, and has less memory (including video) and hell it runs 12 copies of EQ fine.

I actually went so far as to just uninstall the software and remove the card, switching to onboard graphics and the problem still exists. Even a single copy of EQ only gets 20-25 fps. My laptop is older, slower, and has less memory (including video) and hell it runs 12 copies of EQ fine.

This sounds more like a Motherboard hardware issue now as ive been reading things. Best way to see if the system is up to par, is a stress test through Ungine/heaven. This will show if you have or find issues.

And to everyone, how many folders are people running EQ out of? I have 3 (running 3 different patchers) on a HDD and 2 accounts are loaded from each. This was something i heard way back in the day to help with lag issues and ive always done it. it seemed to help but this was 10 plus years ago now.

This sounds more like a Motherboard hardware issue now as ive been reading things. Best way to see if the system is up to par, is a stress test through Ungine/heaven. This will show if you have or find issues.

And to everyone, how many folders are people running EQ out of? I have 3 (running 3 different patchers) on a HDD and 2 accounts are loaded from each. This was something i heard way back in the day to help with lag issues and ive always done it. it seemed to help but this was 10 plus years ago now.
just one. unless you have some very specific needs and require three different configurations, this is going to make performance worse, not better. why? the OS can cache files when it reads them, and if you zone all your toons, you end up having to read 3x as many files as you would have had to read otherwise.

just one. unless you have some very specific needs and require three different configurations, this is going to make performance worse, not better. why? the OS can cache files when it reads them, and if you zone all your toons, you end up having to read 3x as many files as you would have had to read otherwise.

Nice, ill change it when i get home! Thank you sir

Yeah, I'm starting to think Mobo or cpu, mostly because that's all that's left lol.

Question - OK computer experts, I have an FPS issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back