• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Not sure whats a optimal 6 box for grinding levels (1 Viewer)

Kadow

RedCents
51¢
I have a shd, clr, rog, ranger, enc, brd, 3 mag, and a war. all 115 max aa's with tier2 lvl 115 gear.

I use to go mainly shd, clr, brd, and 3 mag. would droping 1 mag be better or would another class be more effective, any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

what problems are you having that you're trying to overcome?

are you happy?
are you able to meet your goals?

broadly - as long as you're happy and able to meet your goals - then huzzah, you win - if you're not, communicate what specifically.

"droping 1 mag be better or would another class be more effective" doesn't really give much information to answer.

I imagine (but don't know because you didn't say what your challenges were) you're having mana problems with 3 mag and bard, I'd consider dropping a mag for a nec or bst, and also utilizing the mana return capabilities of the shd.

covering the "holy trinity" of tank, real healer, real cc and then rest dps pretty much means you can do all the content designed for a single group

there are tradeoffs depending on how you reach that trinity + dps

melee often has less downtime - zerks/rogs (especially with a bst) can pretty much go nonstop for ever
melee has less challenges moving around like chasing a tank - think memorizing spells/buffs, medding, etc.
melee has a harder time with mobs that have a DS, or mobs flying in the air, etc
pet classes (nec, mag, bst) are able to help cover the gap in mob of platform kind of difficulties in ways that wizards/rangers can't

for pure farming/PLing where kills per hour is my goal, i'm tend towards melee groups, or at least putting bsts/necs with casters to *try* and help them stay fulltilt

I use to go mainly shd, clr, brd, and 3 mag. would droping 1 mag be better or would another class be more effective, any opinions or advice would be appreciated.
My 115 FTP crew consists of SK,CLR/ENC/3xMag (SK is in ToL T1 and the rest in ToV T1) and I mow through group content. It's actually fun using them to gear the next group which is a pure melee bunch. Play whatever tickles your fancy and if you aren't able to get through certain situations adjust accordingly.

I have a shd, clr, rog, ranger, enc, brd, 3 mag, and a war. all 115 max aa's with tier2 lvl 115 gear.

Sic hit it on the head. It is all relative, but in your case based on your preferences, SHD,CLR,ENC,MAG x 3 is a really solid group. Plus all 6 are CWTN capable which in itself, makes it even better.

Yea what he said made alot of sense. I should of explained it better but I got what his point.
I will go with shd,clr,enc,mag x 3 and swich it up as i need. I really just wanna get them to 120 to be rdy for the xpac.
thanks again for responding and giving great info.

The only thing I would suggest different is... SHD, CLR, BRD, RANGER, ROG, BEASTLORD... would be an amazing grind group! If you don't feel like leveling another toon, then I would simply put the MAGE in place of the BEASTLORD... SHD, CLR, BRD, RANGER, ROG, MAG

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

i use to have a clr out of group heal and I would have my ranger start shooting at 30 % for headshots. not sure if i wanna sub all of them
You don't need to sub any if you don't want to. If you're staying at 115, roll with FTP!

If you don't want to keep them subbed, I have made a list of FTP gear. for ToV and ToL. Even if you don't have ToL you can still use the T1 gear at 115. If you only have access to ToV then rightnow is the time to farm the gear. The drops off of rares is silly with the bonus!!! Grab as much as you can if considering to not continue subbing.

Last edited:
I wanted to get them to 120 and dont you get extra stats for subing and do more dmg etc ?
Being subbed you will be able to use ALL gear. If you go FTP you will not be able to use gear marked as "Prestige". Subbed has it's benefits most def...
No, BUT by subbing, you get access to the AAs which you REALLY want to get done AS you level, rather than max level then AAs...

yea i feel you, I prob just sub all 6 because i want the full benfit of tier 2 + my mages are low aa's. All three of my mages are are newest toons recently got htem to 115 maybe few k aa's

I like tank/bard/enc/cleric ... whatever dps floats your boat. I call it my "easy" mode config

just curious, do you not find the enc and bard somewhat redundant? I suppose it is definitely safe/easy though so I can see it
For me - The bard is just ten times better then the enchanter other then static buffs. Bard would get always selected over the enc and wouldnt run together unless trying to solo TBL fight fire raid lol

For me - The bard is just ten times better then the enchanter other then static buffs. Bard would get always selected over the enc and wouldnt run together unless trying to solo TBL fight fire raid lol
Yeah I agree. I could see running them together in a caster group maybe, or if I wanted to feel super safe though which is possibly what @Oldman66 wants

just curious, do you not find the enc and bard somewhat redundant? I suppose it is definitely safe/easy though so I can see it
I love having two aoe mezzers, also their synergies benefit the casters and melees on the group. Overhaste and bardspeed is always a plus. If you balance out your dps and go say rogue/necro or zerk/mage it works like a charm. It's not a "melt" your face kind of team but you can take a bio break in a high density area or go cook a meal without worrying about your bots wiping out

I really love my bard over my enchanter.
Ttrpg Charm GIF by zoefannet

Just curious rifting off this post, my f2p crew is having a hell of a time. 115's still grinding aa, but all tov t1, about to feed the tank tol t1. Anyhow, the shaman using rgmerc, seems to struggle a bit keeping the sk up. It's a sk, bst, rog, ber, bard, Sham group. I wanted a pure melee group.

Do, I just need to ride the wave for more aa? Or make a swap for a cleric? I would need to level one up, which is fine, but just curious thoughts.

Also, for the original posy, running those x3 mages is a powerful group. My Pal, mage x2, enchanter, ranger, and Sham group just rolls through content. The only two other classes I would run in my setup, a necro or another Mae in place of the ranger. I really enjoy the ranger though, plus that HS helps.

Thanks all

I started with sk bard rogue rogue bst and cleric then kept that for years then leveled 2 zerks on the rogues acct then 2 monks ...was a melee dps ho. In the last couple years I did 2 mages..then finally subbed a shaman in for cleric and added a 3rd mage and rogue and zerk and monk lol. You get the idea. I never raid or do many missions just grind levels and max aa get tier2 gear or tradeskill. If I get em all maxed I add another toon and usually by then its time for next expansion and I start it over. As far as group goes having 2 or 3 mages was nice. Can do dang near anything and didn't look as obvious as melee when it came to using help although that is a personal thing really doesn't make a difference if somebody wants to tell. I do like beast for paragon and helps a lot keeping mana up if you farm the same camp for hours. I think a ton though comes down to play style and what you tend to do most times when you are on. If you are into farming missions(I am totally not lol) then more utility is probably better. If you don't move toons a lot and tend to wear out a camp or a xp spot you most def have what you need to level up no probs.

Think i mah go with Shd,Shm,brd,mag x 3 and have clr out of group heal. would the shaman be usefulkl out of group healing debuffing ? and toss the ranger in the group ?

would the shaman be usefulkl out of group healing debuffing ? and toss the ranger in the group ?
I think that would depend on several factors.
One will not be getting XP/AA.
What automation will you be using for the toon outside of the group?

I would personally run the shaman in group and have the ranger assist outside of group. I think he will be a better healer/debuffer running CWTN plugin.

I will use all the plugins from chat. He has added new ones i didnt have access to before.

I not even sure where I will go to level to 120, I might try EW or GD.

Last edited:
Question - Not sure whats a optimal 6 box for grinding levels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back