• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Nightmare Vanilla Compile (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RedCents
611¢
This is just a very basic compile of the source from the Macroquest site. No additional plugins added, only removed the noauth check, and the plugin loading check. I am trying this out to see if it meets the criteria for doing this, and all of the pre-requisites involved

I did have some questions, especially with the furor over source and stuff. If this site has permission to use a plugin, and release a pre-compile with it in it, does that cover other users doing so also? Example, RedQuest releases a plugin within his compile, does that infer permissions are granted to me to release it in a compile for this site only? I am just trying to ask these questions so I can become a better contributor to the community.

Disclaimer: If any plugin or macro is included within this compile that the author or any authority feels concerned about, please let me know immediately and I will remove it from the compile until or if the problem is resolved. thank you very much for your work, and all the hard effort everyone puts into these programs.

Last edited:
I'm getting errors on downloading the source otherwise I would tell you but that's probably my problem as I'm trying to open it using Arc (Linux), far as the plugins are concerned I honestly don't know.

They are all GPL far as I know, anyone requireing permission for plugins to be precompiled is really going against the GPL and introducing new restrictions. Think that comes to courtesy or something because really, even if it is posted in source format in a private forum because it is GPL you have as much right to redestribute it as the person who originally wrote it. You have all the same rights as the original writer, that is the heart of the GPL.

So people claiming you need permission to redestribute makes me cringe.

Last edited:
Ccomp and I were discussing this in IRC earlier, came up with this:

GPL doesn't block us from posting sources...it requires the posting, in fact. The blocking itself is done by RG. People are blocked from posting protected sources in our rules...MMOBugs does the same, iirc. We can stop people from posting the sources, so since they can't post the sources, they can't post the DLLs, either. Since law requires them to post source, and we require that they don't, they are blocked.

In truth, it's iffy-ish logic. Most of it is built on a system of respect for the amount of effort that authors put into their plugins. RG allows you to post plugins from VIP if their authors have given permission for the code to be released outside of VIP.

OK, all that sounds good. I am in the process of adding in the plugins and stuff I personally use, then will repost a more complete version.

As to the archives, I think it has to do with the fact that I did them with the Rarsoft command line compiler. It was supposed to compress them as a zip, but may have done them as a rar file.. I am investigating it and will have a solution in a few minutes hopefully. Thanks all.

Nightmare Vanilla Compile
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back