• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Newbie here (1 Viewer)

MustangMark83

RedCents
80¢
I am thinking of returning to EQ after being gone for many years. I used to be heavily addicted to the game back in 1999-2003 , when I was a kid. But I got burnt out, playing 40-50 hours a week, every week, for years. I got into WoW for the last ten or so years, and now I'm interested in trying again. I honestly never thought I would have time for EQ because I remember how much time I used to spend trying to raid, or struggling to solo while LFG, but I saw an ad for this boxing program on FaceBook and it perked my interest. I'm hoping I can level up and have some fun with my own group. I don't ever plan to raid, unless they've made changes where you can raid while only playing for about 2 hours a day on average. I really don't have much time to invest in a game now that I'm an adult, but back in the day I remember raiding in velious and luclin, my guild would be in certain zones for like 8 hours and maybe kill 1 boss. Good memories. So I've missed out on like 15 years of expansions and updates. I'm currently trying to figure out what classes would be good for what I'm interested in doing, just leveling casually and doing group quests and dungeons. I intend on doing a 6box and I am not sure how well certain classes respond to this program. Is the enchanter script any good for mezzing and charming? I have been doing a bit of research and people are saying ENC is good DPS, but I remember when I used to play, ENC would get resists on their nukes 80% of the time on dungeon bosses, and resisted 100% of the time on raid bosses. On my old enchanter I basically just sat there once I buffed the raid and watched them fight. Another question I had for tanking, would a war tank be best or an SK? Seems to be a lot of debate, but I don't really plan on raiding, so would the warrior discs even be worth it? Will I encounter any named while I'm running around in my dungeons that I need to use defensive discs for? I appreciate any advice.

I am thinking of returning to EQ after being gone for many years. I used to be heavily addicted to the game back in 1999-2003 , when I was a kid. But I got burnt out, playing 40-50 hours a week, every week, for years. I got into WoW for the last ten or so years, and now I'm interested in trying again. I honestly never thought I would have time for EQ because I remember how much time I used to spend trying to raid, or struggling to solo while LFG, but I saw an ad for this boxing program on FaceBook and it perked my interest. I'm hoping I can level up and have some fun with my own group. I don't ever plan to raid, unless they've made changes where you can raid while only playing for about 2 hours a day on average. I really don't have much time to invest in a game now that I'm an adult, but back in the day I remember raiding in velious and luclin, my guild would be in certain zones for like 8 hours and maybe kill 1 boss. Good memories. So I've missed out on like 15 years of expansions and updates. I'm currently trying to figure out what classes would be good for what I'm interested in doing, just leveling casually and doing group quests and dungeons. I intend on doing a 6box and I am not sure how well certain classes respond to this program. Is the enchanter script any good for mezzing and charming? I have been doing a bit of research and people are saying ENC is good DPS, but I remember when I used to play, ENC would get resists on their nukes 80% of the time on dungeon bosses, and resisted 100% of the time on raid bosses. On my old enchanter I basically just sat there once I buffed the raid and watched them fight. Another question I had for tanking, would a war tank be best or an SK? Seems to be a lot of debate, but I don't really plan on raiding, so would the warrior discs even be worth it? Will I encounter any named while I'm running around in my dungeons that I need to use defensive discs for? I appreciate any advice.
All classes can work well with Very Vanilla setup - especially with all the options we have with ICHMercs, Kissassist, Automacs, AFnuke etc

My best pieces of advice would be:
.5. --- Make sure to watch the Redbot's videos on Very Vanilla - MQ2Nav, EQBC, Kiss
1. Enjoy your group - focus on enjoying your group before worrying about min/maxing stuff - the min maxing will surely come at some point tho =p
2. The "holy Trinity" is alive and well - Real tank (imo pref SK or War, but Pal does work too), Real healer (Imo Cleric or Shm), and a CC (enchanter for caster group, bard for melee group imo).
3. Don't be shy of starting off small and slowly adding --- trying to do everything out the gate is a huge undertaking and can be very frustrating.
4. Our DISCORD is very active and always have help available.
I recently added a video clip to my signature that people seem to really enjoy watching to see some of the basics on how to move groups around, mq2nav etc.

INI:
I am thinking of returning to EQ after being gone for many years.
I used to be heavily addicted to the game back in 1999-2003 , when I was a kid.
But I got burnt out, playing 40-50 hours a week, every week, for years.
I got into WoW for the last ten or so years, and now I'm interested in trying again.

I honestly never thought I would have time for EQ because I remember how much time I used to spend trying to raid, or struggling to solo while LFG, but I saw an ad for this boxing program on FaceBook and it perked my interest.

I'm hoping I can level up and have some fun with my own group.
I don't ever plan to raid, unless they've made changes where you can raid while only playing for about 2 hours a day on average.
I really don't have much time to invest in a game now that I'm an adult, but back in the day I remember raiding in velious and luclin, my guild would be in certain zones for like 8 hours and maybe kill 1 boss.
Good memories.

So I've missed out on like 15 years of expansions and updates. I'm currently trying to figure out what classes would be good for what I'm interested in doing, just leveling casually and doing group quests and dungeons.

I intend on doing a 6box and I am not sure how well certain classes respond to this program.
Is the enchanter script any good for mezzing and charming?
I have been doing a bit of research and people are saying ENC is good DPS, but I remember when I used to play, ENC would get resists on their nukes 80% of the time on dungeon bosses, and resisted 100% of the time on raid bosses.
On my old enchanter I basically just sat there once I buffed the raid and watched them fight.

question I had for tanking, would a war tank be best or an SK? Seems to be a lot of debate, but I don't really plan on raiding, so would the warrior discs even be worth it? Will I encounter any named while I'm running around in my dungeons that I need to use defensive discs for?

I appreciate any advice.

TLP servers may be you thing if you want to relive the glory days of EQ. If not, then modern EQ is a lot different than you remember. I, too, left EQ in 2004 for WoW and only came back in 2017 after i got sick and tired of how banal WoW raiding/gameplay became.

If you only care about single play, TLP is probably your best bet - jumping back in at 6 player boxing on live after a long absence is not recommended from me because ... to be honest ... you may not know what you want until after you've done some grouping (in spite of your paragraphs of explanation above). Hell, even after three months of 6 boxing I finally realize I really want to group and raid with live people, but with my schedule / attention span, I don't get that chance on the dead server I play on and instead 6 box.

TLP looks sexier to MY game choices every day. BUT

BUT

I recommend you jump in, either TLP or Live high pop server with one toon, and then make the decision to 2 box, 3 box or 6 box after playing for a month with that single lone character.

I really think it will help you understand exactly what you want long term... because after 20 years, EVERquest is a long term game without immediate rewards, and it's a good idea to really understand which direction you want to take the game for yourself.

Always ask questions here; we are happy to answer (even if the answer doesn't fit the expected result you had in mind).

WELCOME!

INI:
I am thinking of returning to EQ after being gone for many years.
I used to be heavily addicted to the game back in 1999-2003 , when I was a kid.
But I got burnt out, playing 40-50 hours a week, every week, for years.
I got into WoW for the last ten or so years, and now I'm interested in trying again.

I honestly never thought I would have time for EQ because I remember how much time I used to spend trying to raid, or struggling to solo while LFG, but I saw an ad for this boxing program on FaceBook and it perked my interest.

I'm hoping I can level up and have some fun with my own group.
I don't ever plan to raid, unless they've made changes where you can raid while only playing for about 2 hours a day on average.
I really don't have much time to invest in a game now that I'm an adult, but back in the day I remember raiding in velious and luclin, my guild would be in certain zones for like 8 hours and maybe kill 1 boss.
Good memories.

So I've missed out on like 15 years of expansions and updates. I'm currently trying to figure out what classes would be good for what I'm interested in doing, just leveling casually and doing group quests and dungeons.

I intend on doing a 6box and I am not sure how well certain classes respond to this program.
Is the enchanter script any good for mezzing and charming?
I have been doing a bit of research and people are saying ENC is good DPS, but I remember when I used to play, ENC would get resists on their nukes 80% of the time on dungeon bosses, and resisted 100% of the time on raid bosses.
On my old enchanter I basically just sat there once I buffed the raid and watched them fight.

question I had for tanking, would a war tank be best or an SK? Seems to be a lot of debate, but I don't really plan on raiding, so would the warrior discs even be worth it? Will I encounter any named while I'm running around in my dungeons that I need to use defensive discs for?

I appreciate any advice.

TLP servers may be you thing if you want to relive the glory days of EQ. If not, then modern EQ is a lot different than you remember. I, too, left EQ in 2004 for WoW and only came back in 2017 after i got sick and tired of how banal WoW raiding/gameplay became.

If you only care about single play, TLP is probably your best bet - jumping back in at 6 player boxing on live after a long absence is not recommended from me because ... to be honest ... you may not know what you want until after you've done some grouping (in spite of your paragraphs of explanation above). Hell, even after three months of 6 boxing I finally realize I really want to group and raid with live people, but with my schedule / attention span, I don't get that chance on the dead server I play on and instead 6 box.

TLP looks sexier to MY game choices every day. BUT

BUT

I recommend you jump in, either TLP or Live high pop server with one toon, and then make the decision to 2 box, 3 box or 6 box after playing for a month with that single lone character.

I really think it will help you understand exactly what you want long term... because after 20 years, EVERquest is a long term game without immediate rewards, and it's a good idea to really understand which direction you want to take the game for yourself.

Always ask questions here; we are happy to answer (even if the answer doesn't fit the expected result you had in mind).

WELCOME!

Thanks but I'm not really interested in reliving the classic EQ experience, I don't have the time to go through the hell levels, the hours and hours farming dungeons for a FBSS or a mana stpne, fungi tunic, or anything like that. I just want to level up to max level and play casually with my own group, an hour or two per day. I started on Povar and I currently have a warrior up to level 5, I wanted a low population server because I figured it would be easier to avoid finding zones that are camped.

Agreed so much. I can't imagine why people willingly subject themselves to relive EQ sans all the modern comforts but it seems like it's a big hit.

I have great nostalgic thoughts about my time playing in those days but they were subjectively terrible compared to now and the ease of doing things.

Mark,
Welcome back, and I hope you find EQ so much more fun now in a new light. I 'left' but never really left.. but I stopped playing for a long time, and once I found Redguides and was willing to try it out.. it changed so much for me. I do not raid and have little time, but I love the idea of having my own team and not waiting around for a group if I don;t have to as for my needs are to sit at my comp and just play. I leave my guys on in my pwn guild hall and when I'm ready.. boom, OFF we go. I can buff myself, port myself, etc etc. Plus, the new things that Sony/DBG did bring in from Wow does help get rid of some of the tedium, I think you may find some of it a lot better than 1999 EQ. But the point of using VV (Very Vanilla) will make your EQ time so much more fun. Let us know what server you are on and I'm sure someone here also plays there and can help out, but as its been said, ask anything here.. we all love EQ and love playing our groups. This non hack version makes EQ a thrill to play. I now hit zones and dungeouns and missions I never dreamed I would do unless I joined some guild and had to beg people to go through with me. Now I do it and challenge myself to see what I can do and its amazing. :)

Mark,
Welcome back, and I hope you find EQ so much more fun now in a new light. I 'left' but never really left.. but I stopped playing for a long time, and once I found Redguides and was willing to try it out.. it changed so much for me. I do not raid and have little time, but I love the idea of having my own team and not waiting around for a group if I don;t have to as for my needs are to sit at my comp and just play. I leave my guys on in my pwn guild hall and when I'm ready.. boom, OFF we go. I can buff myself, port myself, etc etc. Plus, the new things that Sony/DBG did bring in from Wow does help get rid of some of the tedium, I think you may find some of it a lot better than 1999 EQ. But the point of using VV (Very Vanilla) will make your EQ time so much more fun. Let us know what server you are on and I'm sure someone here also plays there and can help out, but as its been said, ask anything here.. we all love EQ and love playing our groups. This non hack version makes EQ a thrill to play. I now hit zones and dungeouns and missions I never dreamed I would do unless I joined some guild and had to beg people to go through with me. Now I do it and challenge myself to see what I can do and its amazing. :)

Awesome post thank you, you sound similar to me. I'm on povar because that's the server I started on in 99. it's low population and I didn't want to worry about people over camping everything.

Question - Newbie here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back