• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

New to TLP Tips/Advice (1 Viewer)

RedCents
294¢
Hi All -

I will be doing the new TLP Teek and this is my first 'tlp launch'. I've never done a launch before nor really played a TLP. Are there any tips, guides, must haves, 'don't do this' etc. that I should keep in mind? Any links to specific guides would be appreciative as well. Farming plat, nice TS zones, leveling guides, must do quests, etc -- anything you think is worthy to jot down here, please do.

TIA!

This true? or just trying to keep mq off tlp?
Both.
Redguides compile of MQ wont even let you connect to the TLP servers without relaxed truebox on it, both as an effort to reduce bans and in respect of the devs rules of the server.

And I agree with the above.

A fresh TLP, especially with one that has this much built up hype (25th anniversary and all), there is going to be a massive amount of players. It is very much going to immediately feel like early era EQ (1999-2000). There will be people sitting at town Gates offering binding and buffs to new players, cities will be populated with players, camps will be contested, shouts for groups will be rampant, and EC tunnel will be in full effect.

The best advice I could give/agree with is just simply,

Enjoy Everquest, make friends, join a guild, and be social. EQ is commonly referred to as a Chat room with a game overlay, the sooner you find a group of people you enjoy playing with, keep em. It could be for life.

Hi All -

I will be doing the new TLP Teek and this is my first 'tlp launch'. I've never done a launch before nor really played a TLP. Are there any tips, guides, must haves, 'don't do this' etc. that I should keep in mind? Any links to specific guides would be appreciative as well. Farming plat, nice TS zones, leveling guides, must do quests, etc -- anything you think is worthy to jot down here, please do.

TIA!
MQ is not supported on Truebox servers. If/When a server transitions into "relaxed truebox" or complete removal of truebox restrictions, MQ support would be added at *sometime* afterwards.

> Here is the link to the sticky <

Other tools such as MySEQ and IonBC are available for truebox servers.

Every time there's a truebox, people try and circumvent it, and then when they get ban/suspended they're all pikachu face about it.

Does everyone get hit? no
Does the dude who probably causes the most problems get hit? also probably no
Does that mean that eq doesn't care? also also no

Hi All -

TIA!
In order to make any suggestions, I had to look up the Teek ruleset. Starts with Kunark, so that's a plus over 99 original, most items are droppable/tradable. That's HUGE. Alters a whole bunch of advice that would help you. And mobs have a random loot table? I'm not sure what that means, but I'm guessing it's an import from modern rules where any mob in the zone can drop certain zone-specific items within limits. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. If true, that's also HUGE and alters pertinent advice even more.

Putting on my 1999 memory hat, The first thing I would say is controversial and I'm sure will be contradicted, but I would argue that in the original + Kunark era, character race matters. It matters for your starting city - which dictates which part of the World you're going to be adventuring in for awhile - it matters for travelling if you play an evil race, and it matter for your class. Why? Because in this era your base stats are unlikely to be modified by gear for some time, so your base stats are going to have an impact on the performance of the class you choose. If you doubt me, go to Allakhazam's and look at the loot tables of raid mobs of that era. Most gear will give you +1 or +2 to this or that, and maybe +5 to mana or a save, and AC is generally in single digits. Like I said, I know I'm going to get contradicted with arguments that it doesn't matter because later it won't. But, if XP gains - and thus leveling - are as slow as they were in the original Kunark era, and out-of-combat regen is as slow also, then your stats are going to matter, because you will be low level for some time. Now, if those old XP and regen rates don't apply, then my argument loses strength somewhat.

Anyway, I think it would be good advice to consider races that are very suited stat wise, to the class you want to play.

Race/class is also important because in the kunark era, there was no fast travel. People needed ports, and there was quite a demand for DRUs and WIZs back in yester-century due to being able to port and evac. People also made an industry out of porting people for money. Likewise, rezzing was a thing as well as corpse summing and corpse recovery, so playing a priest class or a NEC was also a means of being indispensable and making money from other players. Alchemy was important in this era because - again - regen rates were SLOW, priests went OOM a lot, so having potions was very important. Healing, gate, spirit of the wolf were like gold. So, a SHM is something to consider.

Another consideration is faction. If you want to play an evil race, and be able to travel to good cities without getting killed, then faction quests are something to consider right from level 1. As I recall, they were a surprisingly good way to get XP and money because you not only collected both from the faction-giving mobs you killed, but you got XP and cash from the faction quest giver. You will need SHM potions or DRU buffs that turn you into a wolf form in order to enter the city to get the quests, but well worth it if you want to be able to enter Old World good cities.

I would also advise you to get a trade skill up as quickly as possible. Alchemy (if you are a SHM), tailoring, and smithing were the big ones back in the day because you could make armors that were as good as what most mobs dropped and bags. Being able to make tailored bags will make you rich.

Well, I've rambled enough. I can't think of any "must do" quests right now, but Allakhazam's will provide all that and more. I sincerely hope this was helpful.

Both.
Redguides compile of MQ wont even let you connect to the TLP servers without relaxed truebox on it, both as an effort to reduce bans and in respect of the devs rules of the server.

And I agree with the above.

A fresh TLP, especially with one that has this much built up hype (25th anniversary and all), there is going to be a massive amount of players. It is very much going to immediately feel like early era EQ (1999-2000). There will be people sitting at town Gates offering binding and buffs to new players, cities will be populated with players, camps will be contested, shouts for groups will be rampant, and EC tunnel will be in full effect.

The best advice I could give/agree with is just simply,

Enjoy Everquest, make friends, join a guild, and be social. EQ is commonly referred to as a Chat room with a game overlay, the sooner you find a group of people you enjoy playing with, keep em. It could be for life.
Thanks for info. My only interest would be mischief to drag my buff box around.

One suggestion would be to find a guild who play in your timezone.

Most guilds provide a space for folks to pre-plan groups ahead of launch day. This can help with what choices you make on race/class. It does take a bit of effort to move between starting locations early on.

Having a plan on where you’ll meet up with your group mates to level can make a big difference.

New to TLP Tips/Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back