• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - new pc - what would you do? (1 Viewer)

LorDeth

<<NO GIF ATTACHED>>
RedCents
1,538¢
Hiya guys,

I've been looking to build a new pc recently.. I'm running a core i9-9900k right now, which I built (I think) 3-4 years ago.. The i9 is going to be relegated to linux box in my basement to handle a number of tasks..

So.. right now I'm trying to decide what to go with.. I've got a reasonable budget, but I don't want to buy just because I can.. I want something decent but yet makes sense..

-My goal here is to get a ddr5 platform, pcie-5, including the pcie5 nvme ports.. Even though I wont be using most of that capacity now, I want a fairly forward compatible machine..
-I am also looking to build something that doesn't heat my whole house.. I've heard some good initial reports about some of the AMD AM5 X3D cpus, that they dont need nearly the power that their TDP is rated for..
-Not planning to overclock other than what the bios can do auto.. i'm not spending tons of time tuning my timings.. TOO OLD FOR THAT haha
-I use the machine for my usual windows use.. email, surfiing, gaming.. I do play modern games.. but mainly EQ haha.
- I'll be re-utilizing my existing RTX 3070 in this new machine.. and I have 3x27" monitors connected to it.. 2x4k and 1x2k
-I'll be putting 32 gigs of ddr5 in it (2x16G configuration) no matter which platform i decide
- I will also be transferring my liquid cooling loop to the new machine.. I've got 2x240mm rads, a cpu block and a gpu block.. I may add a nvme block later if I buy a pcie5 nvme ssd (when they are better and a bit more mature)...

So here's what I'm flip-flopping between..

AMD build: Its been many years since I've done an AMD build.. like easily 10-15+.. but it sounds like the new stuff is really good though.. I just am not sure, as there's always hype and some fanboy ravings...
either an AMD R7 7700x or possible the 7900x3d.. and a mobo that supports the pcie 5 and all that.. sort of flopping between a gigabyte board and the asrock taichi board (heard its real nice).. Asus apparently having alot of issues right now with failing boards..

Intel build: I'm thinking 13600K , not crazy top of the line but still a nice performing cpu , at least on paper.. I'm not sure what mobo I am going to pair this up with it.. sort of only started looking..

Anyway, wanted to hear from you guys, especially if you have either of these platforms and first hand experience with them and their performance..

Cheers!

Can't believe you're going through all that to only have 32gigs of ram(my 7yrold main PC has that and it's running ddr3 and an AM3+socket with a 770gtx)

Whenever I start working on a new home build, I usually start by taking a quick look at https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1683-Build-of-the-Month. Depending on what budget I have in mind that sometimes helps me start to put together the basics.

Another great resource to track ideas and share with others is; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

With Intel chips, I usually go with KF versions if I'm going to be using a video card and K chips for things like my unraid server running Plex. The last couple Intel generations have been pretty good at video encode/decode with the onboard gpus.

AMD Ryzen CPU's IMO have been outperforming intel for gaming for a few years now. I love my Ryzen 5950x the 7000 series is out now and are beasts.
definitely would go with 64 gigs of ram at a minimum. more memory means more EQ instances on same machine.
Sticking with your existing GPU makes sense right now. just read an article today that GPU and Monitor sales are falling and seen their worst sales performance ever as stock as increased and is on the verge of becoming a surplus which means in a few months' prices should start to drop on both.

As far as Main Boards go I like my Asus Wi-fi Gaming board it came with an Nvme module that I can put 4 Nvme drives in as well as one Nvme drive on the main board itself and if you're into LED lighting it has multiple ports for that as well.

For a case I went with a Lian Li case I know others in this community use them as well. very clean good airflow and cable management system.

For PSU I've been a fan of Thermaltake for decades.

just all my own thoughts and what I went with hope it helps.

Can't believe you're going through all that to only have 32gigs of ram(my 7yrold main PC has that and it's running ddr3 and an AM3+socket with a 770gtx)

I havent run into a situation where I've actually run low on ram in my current build, which also has 32 gigs.. So really no sense to me in buying 64 gigs... If i ever reach that point, not too big a deal to add another 2x16gb (the mobo's I've been looking at have 4 dimm slots for 2 channels of DDR)

Whenever I start working on a new home build, I usually start by taking a quick look at https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1683-Build-of-the-Month. Depending on what budget I have in mind that sometimes helps me start to put together the basics.

Another great resource to track ideas and share with others is; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

With Intel chips, I usually go with KF versions if I'm going to be using a video card and K chips for things like my unraid server running Plex. The last couple Intel generations have been pretty good at video encode/decode with the onboard gpus.
actually, it was the 13600KF I was looking at too.. since yeah no real need to have on-chip graphics .. and I think it was a few $$ cheaper than the K version :)

Get a used Dell T7920 👌

Save a bunch of money and throw 128 GB oh ram in it, then roll with your day. Can also pick up cheap RTX 3080 now too if you know where to look

Get a used Dell T7920 👌

Save a bunch of money and throw 128 GB oh ram in it, then roll with your day. Can also pick up cheap RTX 3080 now too if you know where to look

I'm sort of waiting on the sidelines and watching the GPU game at the moment.. my 3070 is working fine for now, but I'm real curious how the AMD cards mature as they get their drivers updated accordingly.. also HOPING (maybe fruitlessly) that the rtx 40x0 series come down a bit in price.. I've never been one to buy the top end gear, ie the 4090, just too far out of my price point.. but maybe if the 4080 or if the 4070ti price is right...

I'm sort of waiting on the sidelines and watching the GPU game at the moment.. my 3070 is working fine for now, but I'm real curious how the AMD cards mature as they get their drivers updated accordingly.. also HOPING (maybe fruitlessly) that the rtx 40x0 series come down a bit in price.. I've never been one to buy the top end gear, ie the 4090, just too far out of my price point.. but maybe if the 4080 or if the 4070ti price is right...
true! Ive been watching the new Intel cards and ive been waiting for them to give me enough reason to upgrade my 3080. I am just hoping by next year their cards and drivers are sorted out

true! Ive been watching the new Intel cards and ive been waiting for them to give me enough reason to upgrade my 3080. I am just hoping by next year their cards and drivers are sorted out
yeah sure would be nice to see them be a viable competitor in the gpu market for sure. I am hoping they become viable too!

LorDeth.

Is there some particular use case that you feel your machine is getting sluggish performing?

It looks like you've done a lot of research already and are familiar with the pros and cons of going intel or AMD for your CPU.

Either platform can offer a significant uplift from your current 8 core system assuming you have the workload to fully utilize it.

Personally I'd wait a few more weeks to see what AMD's next 3D cached CPU is going to bring.

With that said, my last system was an AMD 3950x with 64 GB of ram with a 2070 and it was quite a splurge for me to drop $2400 on a system. I paired it with a Noctura D15 and fractal air flow case and the thing is super quiet even under load. I've run 32 clients on this before hitting 100% GPU load with the CPU still ~ 50%.

Temps under load ~ 60 degree C with air cooling.

The newer CPU/GPU's pretty much run on the red line to they can get the top spots. I like running cool and quiet.

LorDeth.

Is there some particular use case that you feel your machine is getting sluggish performing?

Personally I'd wait a few more weeks to see what AMD's next 3D cached CPU is going to bring.

Temps under load ~ 60 degree C with air cooling.

The newer CPU/GPU's pretty much run on the red line to they can get the top spots. I like running cool and quiet.

Current system running decent, but I'm going to be using it for non-gaming use, and was looking at a new build as a result..

Yep thats exactly my plan.. Just waiting alot of this out, because as you well know, AMD is still mid-release in their new line of chips.. I'm also big on running a quiet system.. With the water cooling I already have, I plan to undervolt the new system a bit to help ease it back.. cuz yeah, they want to push their thermal limit for max performance.. maybe the 7800x3d will be the cpu to grab.. who knows!!

oh nice you grabbed one of them? How do you like it? I can't tell from the pic which card it is.. and oh yeah price cant be beat!
Grabbed a A770 LE was "relatively" cheap for the performance marks.

Its great, had a issue with the drivers installing odd, contacted support and they spent 3 hours with me tracing it down, and got me fixed up. I only play EQ (98%), and mess around in newer games occasionally, its handled everything I've threw at it with ease.

Nice PC.

What monster monitor are you gonna hook up with it? LG C2 42" Oled? +144hz 1440P or 4k is a must with an RTX 4090.

Beware that AMD might launch RX 7950 XTX soon, who knows nVidia maybe get some struggle at the top? (I'm a day dreamer)

depending on which route you go one thing i've discovered over the years if you go amd cpu go amd gpu or if you go intel cpu go nvidia gpu. It just seems
that each one works best with a specific brand cpu not sure why that is. but, just something I've seemed to notice at least in my experience.

If I was you, and I was last year, I would get 2x32gb RAM now and then you can upgrade to 128gb down the line. You're boxing yourself in buying 2x16gb sticks.

I got a 1TB m2 slot drive last year and after a while I found it wasn't enough storage. So a few months later I bought two 4TB hdd's and put them in Raid 1 (Mirror) mainly for safely archiving files and photos/videos which was my main goal but I have found it is way way too slow for anything else, could be that I don't have it set up right or the controller on my motherboard just isn't up to it.

So I just picked up a drive for the second m2 slot, this time a 2TB which came in the same price as the 1TB I bought 12 months ago to give an indication of how prices are dropping and things moving onward.

On the motherboard I have, using second m2 slot makes my graphics card, which I upgraded a few months back also to a RTX 4070 run at 8x on PCI3.0 but I have found this making zero difference and from benchmarks I could find online there was only a couple of frames per second difference between PCI3.0 8x and PCI4.0 16x which has multiples of multiples more bandwidth, I.e. there is no bottleneck to worry about from what I can see.

Tech - new pc - what would you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back