• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

New PC Build tips/suggestions plz (1 Viewer)

Ghost

RedCents
94¢
Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower Case
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 802.11AC WIFI
Processor: Binned and delidded Intel i7 7900x Skylake-X 10 Core Processor - Overclocked to 4.90GHz (expensive as fuck so deciding between this and a binned and delidded 7820x 4.8ghz stability tested for about $1000 cheaper. i9($1600) i7($700) just for that alone I think I'm going to go with the 7820x but man a 4.9 10 core sounds so sexual it rly gets me goin lol

Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling Loop w/ Dual 360mm + 120mm Radiators, Clear Tubing, Pastel Coolant, EK-ACF White Compression Fittings, EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 Glass Reservoir/Pump, (4) Thermaltake Riing LED Radiator Fans, XSPC CPU Waterblock, EK GTX 1080 Ti Waterblock

Memory: 32GB DDR4 2800MHz G.Skill Quad Channel RAM
Hard Drive: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO (OS Drive)
Graphics Card: Nvidia FE GTX 1080 Ti w/ Full Cover Waterblock
Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W SLI Ready PSU
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit w/ Digital Entitlement
Sound Card: REALTEK HD 7.1
Ethernet/LAN: Realtek 10/100/1000MBPS
ADD-ON 1: White Individually Sleeved PSU Cables

Sounds like a pretty solid build.. one question, what are you planning on using it for? Gaming primarily? ... EQ? or other games as well?

Games, work, school little bit of everything. I play every new release that looks interesting to me as well as bot every game I play which a lot of them take VM's to run without taking over my computer so that's why I'm opting for a beefy cpu.

I know you're not an AMD guy but I switched from Intel to AMD Ryzen earlier this year and saw a 30% increase in framerate since EQ is cpu based. Also in black desert online which is GPU based, I noticed fewer dropped frames and less stuttering.

So on some level Ryzen architecture is getting it right.

That said I don't trust the older Intel architecture like i7700k and below. I would at the very least wait for their latest release next month with the 8th gen in which they are trying to compete against Ryzen since they've been blown away and have to claw back into contention.

And since I personally use Photoshop and Lightroom a lot (I'm a photographer besides just a gamer), I've noticed major improvements with a better than 4 core cpu..

BTW the rest of your parts look awesome and pretty much are the same as mine. The 11 GB on the 1080ti should actually let you box 6 clients at once while playing another game at the same time without problem.

I know you're not an AMD guy but I switched from Intel to AMD Ryzen earlier this year and saw a 30% increase in framerate since EQ is cpu based. Also in black desert online which is GPU based, I noticed fewer dropped frames and less stuttering.

So on some level Ryzen architecture is getting it right.

That said I don't trust the older Intel architecture like i7700k and below. I would at the very least wait for their latest release next month with the 8th gen in which they are trying to compete against Ryzen since they've been blown away and have to claw back into contention.

And since I personally use Photoshop and Lightroom a lot (I'm a photographer besides just a gamer), I've noticed major improvements with a better than 4 core cpu..

BTW the rest of your parts look awesome and pretty much are the same as mine. The 11 GB on the 1080ti should actually let you box 6 clients at once while playing another game at the same time without problem.

Yea thats what I'm going for. I often times and boxing EQ and sometimes running BDO or FF bot or some other game while playing overwatch or something lol I've considered the ryzen but all the benchmarks I've seen show the intel chips ahead and I've always been more of an intel person so its hard to make the switch.

Its fine to go with Intel but don't trust benchmarks at all PERIOD.. They only test 1 game client at one time anyways. Not a realistic scenario for us at all.

What you want to look at is stutter and minimum's.. like some difficult scenes which murder a graphics card or a cpu, how well it handles that rather than getting 15% more performance in peak which won't matter since you're most likely limited to 60 fps via the monitor or a 144 fpz if you have a 144 hz monitor. That's where Ryzen helped me out a lot vs the 7600k which I had before.

In Raids my fps were dipping to 22ish. With Ryzen same spot its like 30ish now.

So wait a month since 8th gen will be out in October and then pull the trigger.

When you're spending that much, you want something that doesn't slow down vs benchmarks showed oh it was 10% better at double the cost.

P.S. One of my buddies here switched from a 7700k and 32 gigs of RAM, 1080ti to ryzen 7 1700x 8 core/16 thread. He has been super happy since he made the switch since for multiple EQ clients and other workloads at same time, its better.

Its fine to go with Intel but don't trust benchmarks at all PERIOD.. They only test 1 game client at one time anyways. Not a realistic scenario for us at all.

What you want to look at is stutter and minimum's.. like some difficult scenes which murder a graphics card or a cpu, how well it handles that rather than getting 15% more performance in peak which won't matter since you're most likely limited to 60 fps via the monitor or a 144 fpz if you have a 144 hz monitor. That's where Ryzen helped me out a lot vs the 7600k which I had before.

In Raids my fps were dipping to 22ish. With Ryzen same spot its like 30ish now.

So wait a month since 8th gen will be out in October and then pull the trigger.

When you're spending that much, you want something that doesn't slow down vs benchmarks showed oh it was 10% better at double the cost.

P.S. One of my buddies here switched from a 7700k and 32 gigs of RAM, 1080ti to ryzen 7 1700x 8 core/16 thread. He has been super happy since he made the switch since for multiple EQ clients and other workloads at same time, its better.

Yea I may actually wait and see I'm just getting impatient as I already sold my old PC (on eBay though which now paypal is making me wait to give me funds since I never use ebay so who knows if I'll get the money or if the buyer will just say its broke and steal my computer then send me back a box of bricks lol) But the comparison in switching from the 4core 7700k to the 8core 1700x is a pretty big change. It's not quite the same as if he had the 7820x and then switched to the 1700x. I'd like to talk to someone who used the same core count in intel and then switched to ryzen and saw an improvement. I get that the ryzen is a much lower cost but in my opinion if you're going to compare them it should be to the same core/thread count in both chips. I appreciate all your feedback though and really will take it into consideration as I still haven't ordered anything yet I'm waiting till I get the cash from Paypal. I see siliconlottery does have a 4.0 ryzen 1800x chip available for $439 so maybe I'll consider going with that instead but then I'd also have to change my whole setup. Also does that have any effect on the gpu or can I still stick with the 1080ti? The one and only amd computer I ever used I had a Radeon card in it so i'm rly not too sure how the GPU's work with different cpu's.

There is no reason to wait and see unless you want a processor with a faster single core clock speed. And if that's the case, the 8700k will be releasing next week, if not, the week after. (I think they said October 5th). The downside to that chip (if you can really call it that), is it will only be ever so slightly faster (rumor) than Kabylake (7700k), but it will have 2 extra cores (so 6 cores, 12 threads). This is going to disrupt some things IMO. A 8700k will be quite a bit faster than your 4790k.

Single threaded performance: intel i-7 *700 line is going to be your go to for most things. It's got enough cores to do light workloads while gaming, and has the speed nothing can bottleneck. Most games only use one or 2 cores, so the faster the cores the better. Everquest boxing does not fall into this category, although you can box a couple groups with one of these types of processors no problem. The 8700k, again, is going to add even more potential.

If you want multithreaded performance (video editing, streaming while gaming, rendering, boxing armys in Everquest, Hyper V VMs, etc), things get murky, like from Heroes of the Storm.

AMD is great at multithreaded workloads at the moment but they're still a bang for the buck purchase for almost everything. They are not the 'best' no matter what anyone says. No ryzen CPU can beat a 7700k in single threaded workloads, and there are way better intel chips that can destroy any threadripper chip in multithreaded workloads. Intel is still the king if you want the best. Now, again, I will say, they are completely out of the realm for bang for the buck in most scenarios (other than their main line 6700/7700/8700k). It just depends.

What buying computer parts comes down to (and always has) is what do you want, and what are you willing to spend. If you want to get the most out of every dollar you spend, AMD is the way to go. If you want to have the very best and have a truly enthusiast level computer, then Intel is the way to go (and will destroy your wallet in the process).

I just purchased basically the same setup as the one you mentioned at the start, although I went with an Aorus gaming 9 motherboard instead (fking asus, wish they would have got their shit together and released the rog rampage vi, but I'm tired of waiting).

I'm going with the 7820x to tide me over for a year or so and then I'll upgrade to something better later. The x299 platform will last for a bit, even if it only lasts half as long as the x99 chipset lol. I personally like Intel more than AMD, but will admit AMD made me seriously question which platform I'd be upgrading to this year. It came down to overclocking, and upgrade pathways. I have no idea what AMD will bring in the future and to invest in a platform with no certain upgrade pathway was what killed it for me. Hell, I had a full threadripper 1920x build in my cart ready to go at one point lol. I know Intel is always going to bring new and better things...for the most part. So I'm sticking with them.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Gaming 9
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200
Hard Drive: Already have a Samsung 1tb 850 Evo Sata drive.
SSD: 512GB Samsung M.2 960 EVO (OS Drive)
Graphics Card: I already have 2 Nvidia 1080TIs.
Power Supply: Already have a 1000 Watt EVGA psu

I purchased a few other things for my other computer, but the total for what I needed was basically around $2100.

Fk you Asus for not releasing the Rampage VI Extreme!

*Edit* I guess to give options for team red:

If you need a processor for large multithreaded workloads, just go with a threaripper, I'd recommend at least a 1920x. You get a decent amount of cores (12c/24t), boosts to 4.0. It's pretty damn good.

If you're willing to spend money, and have money to spare, and want to go AMD, don't waste your time with Ryzen. It's great for the bracket it occupies, but it's a bang for the buck product. Which is what AMD specializes in.

Again though, if all you want is single core performance, just wait for that 8700k to release. :toot:

The threadripper build I was going to go for was:
TR 1920x
Asus Zenith TR4 Motherboard
Same Ram (32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB)
And basically the same everything else.

If you do go with threadripper, get the noctua fan/heatsink (U14s TR4). It's awful looking (IMO) but its got amazing cooling specifically for threadripper. Either that, or go full custom water cooling. The hybrid AIO coolers are shit ATM for socket TR4.

*Edit again*
If you're getting an M.2 that's only 256 gb, just go with the pro, no the evo. You wont regret it. Your VMs will be quick AF!

Last edited:
There is no reason to wait and see unless you want a processor with a faster single core clock speed. And if that's the case, the 8700k will be releasing next week, if not, the week after. (I think they said October 5th). The downside to that chip (if you can really call it that), is it will only be ever so slightly faster (rumor) than Kabylake (7700k), but it will have 2 extra cores (so 6 cores, 12 threads). This is going to disrupt some things IMO. A 8700k will be quite a bit faster than your 4790k.

Single threaded performance: intel i-7 *700 line is going to be your go to for most things. It's got enough cores to do light workloads while gaming, and has the speed nothing can bottleneck. Most games only use one or 2 cores, so the faster the cores the better. Everquest boxing does not fall into this category, although you can box a couple groups with one of these types of processors no problem. The 8700k, again, is going to add even more potential.

If you want multithreaded performance (video editing, streaming while gaming, rendering, boxing armys in Everquest, Hyper V VMs, etc), things get murky, like from Heroes of the Storm.

AMD is great at multithreaded workloads at the moment but they're still a bang for the buck purchase for almost everything. They are not the 'best' no matter what anyone says. No ryzen CPU can beat a 7700k in single threaded workloads, and there are way better intel chips that can destroy any threadripper chip in multithreaded workloads. Intel is still the king if you want the best. Now, again, I will say, they are completely out of the realm for bang for the buck in most scenarios (other than their main line 6700/7700/8700k). It just depends.

What buying computer parts comes down to (and always has) is what do you want, and what are you willing to spend. If you want to get the most out of every dollar you spend, AMD is the way to go. If you want to have the very best and have a truly enthusiast level computer, then Intel is the way to go (and will destroy your wallet in the process).

I just purchased basically the same setup as the one you mentioned at the start, although I went with an Aorus gaming 9 motherboard instead (fking asus, wish they would have got their shit together and released the rog rampage vi, but I'm tired of waiting).

I'm going with the 7820x to tide me over for a year or so and then I'll upgrade to something better later. The x299 platform will last for a bit, even if it only lasts half as long as the x99 chipset lol. I personally like Intel more than AMD, but will admit AMD made me seriously question which platform I'd be upgrading to this year. It came down to overclocking, and upgrade pathways. I have no idea what AMD will bring in the future and to invest in a platform with no certain upgrade pathway was what killed it for me. Hell, I had a full threadripper 1920x build in my cart ready to go at one point lol. I know Intel is always going to bring new and better things...for the most part. So I'm sticking with them.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X299 AORUS Gaming 9
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200
Hard Drive: Already have a Samsung 1tb 850 Evo Sata drive.
SSD: 512GB Samsung M.2 960 EVO (OS Drive)
Graphics Card: I already have 2 Nvidia 1080TIs.
Power Supply: Already have a 1000 Watt EVGA psu

I purchased a few other things for my other computer, but the total for what I needed was basically around $2100.

Fk you Asus for not releasing the Rampage VI Extreme!

*Edit* I guess to give options for team red:

If you need a processor for large multithreaded workloads, just go with a threaripper, I'd recommend at least a 1920x. You get a decent amount of cores (12c/24t), boosts to 4.0. It's pretty damn good.

If you're willing to spend money, and have money to spare, and want to go AMD, don't waste your time with Ryzen. It's great for the bracket it occupies, but it's a bang for the buck product. Which is what AMD specializes in.

Again though, if all you want is single core performance, just wait for that 8700k to release. :toot:

The threadripper build I was going to go for was:
TR 1920x
Asus Zenith TR4 Motherboard
Same Ram (32gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB)
And basically the same everything else.

If you do go with threadripper, get the noctua fan/heatsink (U14s TR4). It's awful looking (IMO) but its got amazing cooling specifically for threadripper. Either that, or go full custom water cooling. The hybrid AIO coolers are shit ATM for socket TR4.

*Edit again*
If you're getting an M.2 that's only 256 gb, just go with the pro, no the evo. You wont regret it. Your VMs will be quick AF!
I appreciate your detailed response thank you! I think I'm still going to stick with the Intel though I did put a lot of thought into the Ryzen but in the end intel is what I've always used and loved that and I want the best so I know if I buy a ryzen I'll just be unhappy an end up selling it for an intel chip. I found a stable 4.8 ghz oc'd 7820x so that's what I'm going to go with for now. Maybe in the future I'll pickup a i9 if I can find another stable 4.9 one again which is unlikely. I think I'll be happy with this setup though and it should hopefully hold me over for atleast a year or two. We shall see tho, who knows maybe i'll spill coolant all over everything and destroy it lol knock on wood that doesn't happen.

I appreciate your detailed response thank you! I think I'm still going to stick with the Intel though I did put a lot of thought into the Ryzen but in the end intel is what I've always used and loved that and I want the best so I know if I buy a ryzen I'll just be unhappy an end up selling it for an intel chip. I found a stable 4.8 ghz oc'd 7820x so that's what I'm going to go with for now. Maybe in the future I'll pickup a i9 if I can find another stable 4.9 one again which is unlikely. I think I'll be happy with this setup though and it should hopefully hold me over for atleast a year or two. We shall see tho, who knows maybe i'll spill coolant all over everything and destroy it lol knock on wood that doesn't happen.

I think you'll be happy with the 7820x. I did a lot of research before I purchased mine. Looks like we'll both be upgrading from our 4790s :P

I think you'll be happy with the 7820x. I did a lot of research before I purchased mine. Looks like we'll both be upgrading from our 4790s :P

How's the Aorus motherboard treating you? I went with a ASRock but to my surprise it doesn't have LLC so I haven't gotten a 4.0 stable overclock at reasonable voltage due to voltage drops. I'm pretty sure my chip can do 4.1 since it boots at 4.0 @ 1.38 but won't stay stable as the voltage drops to 1.32 under load.

I'm really debating changing my motherboard since I don't want to be stuck at 3.9 stable forever.

Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower Case
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 802.11AC WIFI
Processor: Binned and delidded Intel i7 7900x Skylake-X 10 Core Processor - Overclocked to 4.90GHz (expensive as fuck so deciding between this and a binned and delidded 7820x 4.8ghz stability tested for about $1000 cheaper. i9($1600) i7($700) just for that alone I think I'm going to go with the 7820x but man a 4.9 10 core sounds so sexual it rly gets me goin lol

Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling Loop w/ Dual 360mm + 120mm Radiators, Clear Tubing, Pastel Coolant, EK-ACF White Compression Fittings, EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 Glass Reservoir/Pump, (4) Thermaltake Riing LED Radiator Fans, XSPC CPU Waterblock, EK GTX 1080 Ti Waterblock

Memory: 32GB DDR4 2800MHz G.Skill Quad Channel RAM
Hard Drive: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA Hard Drive
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO (OS Drive)
Graphics Card: Nvidia FE GTX 1080 Ti w/ Full Cover Waterblock
Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W SLI Ready PSU
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit w/ Digital Entitlement
Sound Card: REALTEK HD 7.1
Ethernet/LAN: Realtek 10/100/1000MBPS
ADD-ON 1: White Individually Sleeved PSU Cables

what's the cost on this configuration?

How's the Aorus motherboard treating you? I went with a ASRock but to my surprise it doesn't have LLC so I haven't gotten a 4.0 stable overclock at reasonable voltage due to voltage drops. I'm pretty sure my chip can do 4.1 since it boots at 4.0 @ 1.38 but won't stay stable as the voltage drops to 1.32 under load.

I'm really debating changing my motherboard since I don't want to be stuck at 3.9 stable forever.

The parts start arriving today, so I'll let you know. I literally purchased them the day before I made the post haha.

New PC Build tips/suggestions plz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back