• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

New Laptop + Vista = Buggy internet? (1 Viewer)

1twelve2

RedCents
i have a prediciment. i recently bought a HP dv6000nr laptop that was pre-loaded with vista premium. brought her home, plugged her in, installed antivirus / anit-spyware, installed games, apps. no problems. i even played WoW all night. the next morning, i wake up and go to download another app, and the internet is non-existant... it showed to be connected, but there was nothing when i opened firefox / Iexplorer... couple hours later, and its back online. i even checked the old desktop as to its connectivity. it works every time, but the laptop seems buggy. when connected, i get great performance, but thats when it wants to connect... it has been that way for about 4 days now, and its driving me nuts! (pirate walks into a bar and the bartender asks what the disgruntled pirate's problem is. the angry sailor replies," i have a steering wheel in my pants, and its driving me nuts!) sorry for the shameless pirate joke...

anyone have any suggestions?

darkeros pwned you? i believe so...

and the reason you posted this here is to seek attention... you should have called tech support before listening to a bunch of strangers.

Erol-Tob said:
darkeros pwned you? i believe so...
yes, erol.... i got pwned by some kid.

Erol-Tob said:
and the reason you posted this here is to seek attention...
not true. i posted here because i THOUGHT someone might have some insight on my problem. i was leery of posting here because of the asinine replies i might get.

Erol-Tob said:
you should have called tech support before listening to a bunch of strangers.

if you have ever called tech support for anything computer related, you would know that the indians that work the phones have a book of redundant procedures to go through... i'm looking for someone with actual experience with computers.

Erol-Tob said:
and the reason you posted this here is to seek attention... you should have called tech support before listening to a bunch of strangers.

What a way to be rude.

Check your Network Card Drivers for the latest version. Sometimes with pre-packaged laptops etc they install everything, give it a quick test and it looks fine so it's released instead of testing over a period of time. Hopefully the card manufacturer will have Vista drivers for you.

If that doesn't work I've heard of a few people disabling IPV4 Checksum SPI Firewall to fix the problem but again it's hardware dependant.

It's reasons like this why I NEVER upgrade until SP1 of an OS is released; MS are notorious for rushing thngs through the dev cycle and setting a "closed - future fix" to QA bugs just so that they can get a product released and then guess who gets the blame for the buggy software.

:(

Does your laptop happen to be using a wireless internet connection and your desktop a wired connection?

Dunno how me telling you to call the people who made your computer is an asinine comment and automatically makes me "a kid", but you need to get back into the real world. No one on this message board is going to be able to tell you what your problem is better than the people who made your computer. Maybe you're the one who needs to grow up and stop thinking everyone's out to get you.

Again, back to my helpful comments...call tech support, if they can't help you, feel free to come back. Until you call tech support and tell us what they said, I see no reason why we should waste our time doing work for you that you don't feel like doing for yourself.

1twelve2 said:
if you have ever called tech support for anything computer related, you would know that the indians that work the phones have a book of redundant procedures to go through... i'm looking for someone with actual experience with computers.

Who do you think wrote the books they read to you? It would behoove you to take some time and learn how to fix your own computer before you start talking trash about people who try to help you, whether they're paid to do it or not.

darkeros said:
No one on this message board is going to be able to tell you what your problem is better than the people who made your computer.

Blackobsidian's post was the key. it was a problem with the PIv4.

problem is now fixed, and im now running wireless. thanks, blackobsidian!

Hey Darkeros, not trying to be an ass but maybe in future posts if you don't want to help it might be better to say nothing at all.

New Laptop + Vista = Buggy internet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back