• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

New Computer Question (1 Viewer)

gwill23

RedCents
I am sure at least 1 of you out there has built his/her own computer. I have the technical no how I am just not up to date on all the H/W over the few years. I was putting it all together and found I couldnt' find a case that would fit the M/B I wanted.

Does anyone have any technical specs you can give me so I can build my own computer. Looks like I can do it cheaper than buying a prebuilt.

Any suggestions would be great.

There are ton's of guides on the web for how to build a new computer.

You have to know a little about what you want before you can start tho.

AMD? Intel?
Nvidia? ATI?
HDD? (big/small, pata/sata)
What is your budget?

etc...

Most motherboards are ATX formfactor, and most generic cases will take just about any form factor motherboard. If you are trying to adapt some proprietary motherboard/case to each other, forget it.

Take a look at http://www.newegg.com. While you *might* be able to get individual pieces a bit cheaper, you can assemble an entire computer system on their website, place your order and have the parts shipped to you. I use them for almost all of my computer hardware purchases, and have never had a problem.

The unit itself (made by Shuttle) includes the following.

Case (Obviously)
Power Supply
Motherboard
Water Cooled processor heat sink
onboard network card
onboard 5.1 sound (that doesn't suck)

I added in an AMD Barton XP 2800 (2.1 ghz)
ATI 9600XT graphics card
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM hard drive
1 gb (2x512) corsair valueselect ram

and the entire package ran me about 400 bucks. I already had monitor, keyboard, cd burner, etc from her old comp.

100_0542.jpg

Thanks army that is exactly what I needed. I can build a computer with parts I just wanted to make sure the parts I was getting would work good with EQ. That is the real reason for buying it anyway :).

New Computer Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back