• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Need some advice (1 Viewer)

RedCents
3,382¢
So my desktop is fairly old and it is really no longer usable as of Monday night it boots up and give be the BSOD. I have tried all of the things on the windows support site and I think it is a lost cause. I ordered a new one that arrives Thursday. The help I need is what is the best software to get to clone my old HDD? If I clone it is it going to give me the same error? I think it is my SSD that is crapping out on me.

I can log on the PC and within 3 mins it will BSOD. It will happen as fast as BSOD at windows login to allowing me a few mins to be doing things. It is quite random. I am not 100% certain the cause, however, on Monday when I went to bed and shut down the system it gave me the update and shutdown option. When I got back from work Tues and booted up it was BSOD. I rebooted and it booted and then BSOD. I immediately thought it was due to that update so I tried to return to a previous savepoint and it only allowed me to return to one with a Tuesday timestamp. All that said I'm OK with upgrading since that system is about 10 years old anyhow, but as you can expect I would like all my information off of it.

First of all you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to try and clone your old failing system over top of a fresh new pristine Windows installation. You'll be transferring all your problems onto the new machine!

Get your new system up and fully patched with Windows, then use something like https://www.newegg.com/startech-sdocku33ef/p/N82E16817707385?Item=N82E16817707385&quicklink=true to plug in the failing drive from your old system and once mounted in Windows you can just drag and drop your data. For example, your MQ2 and Everquest folders are fully capable of just being copied. For your Windows data you will need to drill into the Users\YourOldUserName and then you find your routine Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc. folders. You can then copy the files in them over to the new location one folder at a time! If the old drive is an SSD, then DO NOT allow Windows to try and do disk repairs! It will only make the drive fail that much faster.

Well my new system arrived yesterday and I must say I am pretty happy with it. My only concern is the lack of an optical drive, but I can live without one. Up until now I have never had a system with more than 8GB RAM and having 32 now is crazy. Everything loads so fast. Now my only issue is getting everything back on my system. Since I have no optical drive I can't install some of my old games I like to play occasionally. :(

Well my new system arrived yesterday and I must say I am pretty happy with it. My only concern is the lack of an optical drive, but I can live without one.
If you really need on get a usb optical one, honestly these days with usb sticks the optical is a waste of money. I use mine 2-3 times a year for some backups.

Its that slot right under the cassette slot where you put in the tape to listen to Night Ranger
not sure about. but i am pretty confident that it is larger than the other slot where you could fit in those 3.5" discs *giggles*.
(no kidding ... i worked with 5.25" and even 8" discs back in the past ... but then ... i learnt how to read/punch punchcards all those years ago)

When you get constant blue screens it's usually one of two things Memory failure or Hard Disk Failure. Mlore than likely it's memory failure which is easy enough to check with a bootable flash drive and memtest86. I would run that and you could also load chkdsk on the same flash drive as well and run it to check the hard drive.

But if I had to guess I would say you've got a bad bank of memory

IRL - Need some advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back