• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Mysterious password change. (1 Viewer)

Ryzon

RedCents
410¢
Has anyone ever received an e-mail from SOE saying that they requested their password and it was different? Usually when I change my password they send an e-mail saying my password was changed. In this case this is the only e-mail I received. My password was indeed changed to what they sent.

Here is the text...
-------------------------------------------
Subject: Your Requested Account Information

account_name,

The password for your account is: xxxxxx

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment
http://www.station.sony.com

I'm quite sure I don't have a keylogger installed and I'm quite careful about that. What I don't get is why I never received any e-mail saying my password was changed like they normally send. Nothing is missing from the account. One other strange thing is that the new password doesn't contain any numbers. Their rule is that the password must contain at least one letter and one number and be at least 8 characters.

It could be someone making a mistake as well. With so many accounts using non-obscure names, it possible someone typed your account in by accident.

ie) chris12 instead of chris13

Ryzon said:
... What I don't get is why I never received any e-mail saying my password was changed like they normally send. Nothing is missing from the account. One other strange thing is that the new password doesn't contain any numbers. Their rule is that the password must contain at least one letter and one number and be at least 8 characters.

You should test it and see if the password can be changed by normal means to the weird one you found it set to. If it cannot, it would lead one to think it could only have been done by an admin at Sony, which would also explain the no-email-notice thing.

I made the mistake of posting my email address on a DAoC character that I was selling. It was a high realm rank character with all expansion, I was just trying to get something back. With-in one day I received about 15 emails with various scams on how to obtain my account, credit card and password information. Made me so sick that I just gave the account to a co-worker.

Mysterious password change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back