• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

My WoW story and the downfall of MMOs (apparently...) (1 Viewer)

Cyrix

RedCents
As everyone is entitled to their opinion, the whole "WoW sux, WoW Rox" stance is a heavily played out topic. I'm sorry that people didn't/don't enjoy WoW. I was very much opposed to ALL MMO's at one point, citing that Pay-to-Play was a rediculous idea. I would use the idea that it's like buying a sandwich for $50, and paying the guy you bought it from $15 a month to eat it. You know, this was my opinion, and I shared it with people, and I never got irate with people who played anyway. I never felt obligated to tell people how the MMO has destroyed modern gaming (I don't believe this, persay, but how many people have stopped console gaming, or left an FPS unplayed for months because of an MMO?). You know why I would never subject someone to such a rant? Because it is impossible to make such a claim, with any FACT. It's an opinionated subject, and it always will be.

Allow me to explain my folly, and why I, above most people, should hate games such as WoW. Three years into my computer science degree, I decide to give into the hype, and try out WoW. I have always been a fan of Blizzard (this ain't your daddy's Diablo), and a lot of my friends were playing at the time. I got sucked in. As Blizzard continued to slowly reduce my bank account balance, I found myself leaving class early, surfing WoW sites in lab, calling into work. It was an addiction. I was always looking for my next hit. As I started making less money, as I was working less hours, my grades also began to drop. This didn't last 1 semester. It lasted going into a third. My rent was always late, my girlfriend felt ignored, and my grades were suffering. Did I blame WoW? No. I accepted responsibility, because in the end, it was all my fault for letting things get out of hand. So I changed majors to an engineering degree (go me!), started working full time at my job, with near perfect attendance, and gave my girlfriend the proper attention she deserves. My bills are still piled up, and I'm still in debt up to my eyes (cost of living FTL), but you know what is installed on my gaming rig? Just World of Warcraft. Do I still play it? Yes. You know why? Because I can't blame it for what happened to me, it's just a good game (<-- opinion). I still play WoW. In fact, I'm level 70 and I raid. Moderation was the key that set me free. If I only log in 2 hours a day, 3 days a week, and then maybe one 5 hour session on a raiding night, that's still a large amount of time, but you know, it's far less than most players.

I'm going to continue to play WoW, well into the future, you know why? Because I want to. Because to me, it's a good game. Here's the hard part for some of you. If you don't like the game, for whatever reason, don't play it. Attacking threads and comments, defending your position as to why you hate the game is played out, and in the end, nobody who can think for themselves is going to listen to you, because it's all opinionated. My advice to those who haven't tried WoW, but like the idea and concept is to try it. Who cares if someone else doesn't like it. Who cares WHY they don't like it. I don't like fish, but I'm not going to write a long ass post telling you not to eat it because it tastes bad, looks bad, smells bad, is bad. You know why? Because in the end, opinions are like assholes, in that everyone has one, and they usually stink.

WoW didn't ruin MMOs. If anything, it opened it up to more players. I never played one before it, and I look forward to my next one. It's people like the ones saying that WoW ruined MMOs, who ruined MMOs. It alienates the players who want to play WoW, but won't because of opinions, and therefore never get their feet wet into the genre. Is it the best game to start your venture into MMOs? Not really. Something free like Guildwars might make a better choice, simply because you're out no more than retail price, because let's face it, 10, 30, or 40 free days is not enough time to really get into an MMO. It gives you that first hit that makes you want to buy the next. The only reason one should consider it the downfall of MMOs, is because people like me won't pull up stop, and send my money elsewhere. I'll eventually quit WoW, and probably play another (Warhammer maybe?), but for the time being, no other MMO is getting my money, and if that ruins your other MMO, then your MMO must suck.

Seriously... This is primarily a gaming forum. People come here to discuss games whether their opinion be positive or negative or whatever. It passes time for a good number of us when instead we would be smashing our faces into our monitors at work bored out of our minds. So as tired as you think the whole "wow sucks and is ruining gaming" argument is... The whole "If you don't like it don't play it!" argument has it trumped 10 fold.

We like to talk about games because we like to talk about games. I don't give a rat's ass if I convert 15 people to the belief that WoW is the work of Satan or convince 30 people to go out and buy WoW just to spite me. I just like to talk about games when I can't play them *shrug*.

Seriously... This is primarily a gaming forum. People come here to discuss games whether their opinion be positive or negative or whatever. It passes time for a good number of us when instead we would be smashing our faces into our monitors at work bored out of our minds. So as tired as you think the whole "wow sucks and is ruining gaming" argument is... The whole "If you don't like it don't play it!" argument has it trumped 10 fold.

We like to talk about games because we like to talk about games. I don't give a rat's ass if I convert 15 people to the belief that WoW is the work of Satan or convince 30 people to go out and buy WoW just to spite me. I just like to talk about games when I can't play them *shrug*.

OMG WTF ADDICT ^_^

I would use the idea that it's like buying a sandwich for $50, and paying the guy you bought it from $15 a month to eat it.

That's a horrible analogy.

If I could buy a sandwich for 50 bucks, then for the next 18 months to 3 years, pay 15 bucks to keep eating that same sandwich, with some minor topping changes every few weeks (patches)... nothing *new* per say, but enough to keep me interested in it... I'd say that's a hell of a lot better deal than paying 50 bucks every month or every other month to keep fed.

And seriously, who doesn't have 50 cents a day when even the most casual gamers average 10+ hours a week. That's less than 50 cents an hour for your entertainment. Movies, even if you're renting them, cost more than that. I don't get how anyone could be so cheap as to say 15 bucks a month for pay to play is draining them financially.

You know who could help you? Colekutz. WHY HAS HE ABANDONED US?!?! COME BACK!

Good post tbh, most people who get addicted and fuck up collage ect usually quit saying how evil the game was after they get fed up and bored. I always wonder just how fucked up some people like that would be if they ever found something like drugs.

I have met people who live in trailers surviving off a combination of child support and welfare playing MMOs while their children basically raise themselves. Merely fucking up your grades in college is pretty trivial imo. For every kid that screws up their college career for an MMO there are probably 1000 that do it for sex drugs and rock n roll!

Good post tbh, most people who get addicted and fuck up collage ect usually quit saying how evil the game was after they get fed up and bored. I always wonder just how fucked up some people like that would be if they ever found something like drugs.

Truuuu! I LOVE drugs and WoW. Not sure how fucked up my life would be without them..../sigh <3<3<3
Drugs, WoW n rock n roll ftw!
(of course some occasional e-secs with the 40 yr old man-ginas is nice too)
:popcorn:

It's all well and good. I found this forum because I was bored at work. I enojy discussing games, but stating an opinion and holding fast to the idea that you're right is far from discussion. This isn't a discussion. If I have my opinion, and I know it won't change, what is the point in letting you tell me your opinion is different and right? We'll both defend our side, but in the end, we're both walking away with the same opinons we had when we started. If there were grounds to our ideals, like if we were discussing which cure for cancer was better, then I could see one of us convincing the other we may be right, but telling me that WoW has destroyed the modern MMO genre is attune to telling me that I should move from my home, because the air around my house isn't as pure as that around my neighbors'. If I'm surviving fine (even with a few minor defects from bad air), then why would I even bother trying to reassess my situation?

I'm not saying you're right or wrong about your feelings of WoW. There are times when I hate the game too, but why blame one insignificant speck, for the downfall of an entire genre? Especially since hollywood is cranking steeming piles everyday, and game companies are taking those steeming piles and making stank piles worth of games from them. There is something more interesting than talking about how horrible one game is, and how it's the cause of so many problems, that it is to be viewed as the reason games are in the can. We've had many games come out that should have ruined games. From E.T. on Atari to Perfect Dark Zero on 360. Some series would tank if the same logic were applied. If people believed so hardcore that one bad game would destroy everyone's view on the next in the genre or series, then Castlevania would have been gone when Simon's Quest shit all on the inside of our NES.

The point is, the only valid solution to this discussion is to either play it or don't, because the next one will come along, and not everyone will like it either. I'm not saying it's not healthy to discuss strengths or weaknesses, I'm just saying that if you want some validity to your statements, we need more than "It's too easy and with no penalty for death? This is the downfall of modern MMORPGs". It's not that this wouldn't be a wrothwhile subject either, but keep in mind, this isn't 2005, and the game isn't new any more.

And WoW is the product of Satan. It's what drove me to buy it in the first place.

I fail to see how it isn't a discussion. People debate politics 24/7 on news channels throughout the world and all across the internet. It's not like most people change their political opinion based on the things that are covered in these discussions/debates. Most people I know already have their opinions "set in stone" on most subjects. Yet for some reason people still seem to enjoy taking part in these discussions. *shrug*

The difference between saying E.T. on Atari or Perfect Dark Zero for the 360 were the downfall of their respective genres is that WoW is the most successful and quite possibly the most influential MMORPG to have been released since the dawn of time. People bitched and moaned for years about how the popularity of EQ had done irreparable damage to the genre... WoW has something like 16X as many subs as EQ did in its prime? To be quite honest I don't really feel that WoW has ruined the genre forever. It's simply made it much less likely that a game that I would be more interested in will be released at any point in the next few years... maybe even the next decade.

Hollywood is cranking out tons of pure shit for the same reason the MMO world will continue to crank out WoW clones. They know they can sell them. The gaming industry is cranking out even shittier games based on these shitty movies because they know there is an existing market for them. Someone has already proven that these things will sell so it's almost guaranteed money if you can half assed imitate it. If anything this supports my argument.

The point of political debates is to change the people's perspective on the subject. Those discussions are for people looking for instruction. I see your point though, most people won't sway due to such things, and the game industry does continue to pilot shit because they know it'll sale, but if WoW is such an influential and high selling game, they have to be doing something right. If it was such crap that it would inflate and pop, it would go the way of Perfect Dark Zero, the $20 bargain bin, and fast.

And what game based on a movie based on a game wasn't good? I'm still whipping some ass in Street Fighter the Movie. Van Damme is god!

Cyrix said:
I see your point though, most people won't sway due to such things, and the game industry does continue to pilot shit because they know it'll sale, but if WoW is such an influential and high selling game, they have to be doing something right. If it was such crap that it would inflate and pop, it would go the way of Perfect Dark Zero, the $20 bargain bin, and fast.

I guess maybe this is where I am not really stating my opinions so well... I don't think WoW is a bad game. In fact I think that if you add everything up that you might "rate" about an MMO and get like an overall rating WoW would probably be the best such game ever created. The problem is that while WoW is a great game in many respects the things that it does the worst are the things that are the most important to me... Challenge factor, PvP, lack of instancing, reduced soloability, etc. So while I have no problems with WoW as a game, or the fact that people enjoy it, I see it as being such a driving force that the things I enjoy may find a harder time making it into new games. The average gamer as I see it doesn't want to put up with things like overly challenging game play, PvP, direct competition for in game content, needing to work with others, etc... I won't argue this point I KNOW that Blizzard has found a sweet spot at which to pick up the largest number of subs and this is certainly demonstrated in their success...

My issue is simply the fact that I and other gamers like me while not representing the largest chunk of the gaming market do in fact respresent a sizeable chunk... I think games designed for people like me are capable of making money and appealing to a large number of players. Unfortunately due to WoW's success it is even more obvious that we are not the largest portion of the gaming market and for the folks shelling out the money to make these games looking at us doesn't inspire the visions of money hats that looking at WoW's numbers does. Thus I feel it is less likely that a decent major release game, appealing to the market share that I am a part of, will hit the shelves in the near future.

I hope that makes more sense.

My issue is simply the fact that I and other gamers like me while not representing the largest chunk of the gaming market do in fact respresent a sizeable chunk... I think games designed for people like me are capable of making money and appealing to a large number of players. Unfortunately due to WoW's success it is even more obvious that we are not the largest portion of the gaming market and for the folks shelling out the money to make these games looking at us doesn't inspire the visions of money hats that looking at WoW's numbers does. Thus I feel it is less likely that a decent major release game, appealing to the market share that I am a part of, will hit the shelves in the near future.

I hope that makes more sense.

This is a well though out, sensible post. I can appreciate this much more than "WoW sux, kkthxbai". I see your point, and although we have different opinions, this post makes it so much easier to respect your opinion. It also doesn't make harsh accusations without backing it up with why you believe it. It's replies like that, that won't make people not try a game, for fear of ostrasization. People who abruptly attack gamers for what game they play, is the downfall of modern gaming.

You know who could help you? Colekutz. WHY HAS HE ABANDONED US?!?! COME BACK!

We would like very much to express that we are sorry for appearing to have not appeared. After a trade event called every one of us to the American provence Florida, we had much extra work to complete at the bakery to repent for the closing.

We ourselves have found that playing warcrafts crusade with a cool dill dressed sandwhich that is also overstuffed is so amazing it is worth any price in this nation.

If you are at home an preparing to load the game warcrafts crusade, once your favorite sandwhich is made please open it and make the following to serve as an apt topping:

DILL DRESSING:

2/3 cup oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dill
1/8 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients and microwave on High for 2 minutes, stirring once.

We would like very much to express that we are sorry for appearing to have not appeared. After a trade event called every one of us to the American provence Florida, we had much extra work to complete at the bakery to repent for the closing.

We ourselves have found that playing warcrafts crusade with a cool dill dressed sandwhich that is also overstuffed is so amazing it is worth any price in this nation.

If you are at home an preparing to load the game warcrafts crusade, once your favorite sandwhich is made please open it and make the following to serve as an apt topping:

DILL DRESSING:

2/3 cup oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dill
1/8 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients and microwave on High for 2 minutes, stirring once.

You've returned! Which sandwich goes best with this topping?

My WoW story and the downfall of MMOs (apparently...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back