• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - My Introduction to MacroQuest 2 and the world of possibilities... (1 Viewer)

RedCents
8,490¢
My first introduction to MQ2 was late in 2004 around Christmas time... I remember it quite well. I was farming Anguish parts, and a good paladin friend of mine came to help me out. We were running a mission (something with a large Bee) is all I can remember and a wipe happened... but my good friend made it out alive. I was like "AIN'T NO WAY IN HELL YOU LIVED" and sure enough he did. He said he "warped out" and I was like bullshit your lying, and sure enough he showed me right then and there... Boom he was here, then there, then in another zone. He then explained he used a program called "MacroQuest 2" and it had magical plugins that allowed him to do all kinds of stuff.

I immediately said you must give me this program... to which he sent me a copy of a copy that a friend made. I was blown away by all the stuff you could now do. I remember making my first macro to kill that guy that drops the shrink wand in The Deep and due to a misconfiguration on my part I actually messed up the loot part, but luckily came back to the PC in time to see a corpse with the wand of impeccability. So a couple weeks passed and my buddy and some guides I think I was on bertox in the top guild on the server "Prophecy" decided to do Vex Thal with only about 9 people. Most were boxes, but all decked out with the best gear in the game. So we did Vex Thal... and FAST! (well fast for VT so like 8 hours lol). My buddies friend had a plugin that allowed us to zone into Vex Thal without a key. So, he logged me in and zoned me in. I was over the moon with excitement. We finished all of VT which I think I got like 10 loots or something crazy and immediately wanted this cool plugin... called mq2zone.

So I spent the next couple weeks scouring the forums and grabbing all the source code for mq2warp, and a variety of other plugins that could. However, MQ2Zone's source code was not to be found and the plugin very obscure, until I ran across a website called www.RedGuides.com. I remember it like it was yesterday, a guy name "Makaveli" or something like that published MQ2Zone's source code. (Here is the original thread https://www.redguides.com/forums/threads/55-MQ2Zone-Plugin?highlight=MQ2Zone) and I was hooked on RedGuides, what a fantastic site to share code and actually ask questions without being called a Noob. Funny enough, it still happens to me given my username ;)

So over the next couple years, I published a couple macros here and there and even kept MQ2Warp going after a couple blocks were put in place until I went on a hiatus and a large crackdown happened in my absence. Due to my contributions, I only have ever paid for 1 month of Redguides over the past 12+ years. I have so many fond memories of EQ, MQ2, and RedGuides and I forgot what post got me started thinking about all this, but thought what the hell, I'll share it.

That's awesome, thanks noob.

I found out about MQ in 2002, around the time Plazmic was taking control of players in Steamfont. He could have made some serious $ duping items and hoarding plat, but instead he was having fun and letting others in on his creation, it was really cool. He was really cool.

I'll pitch in with my story:

I played EQ with a single account for many years. I played for about a decade then dropped the game for a year or two, came back for half a year and dropped it for the next 4-5 until I came back during TBM. Seeing how much the game changed and knowing that I'd need to box to keep my interest I started a couple of characters up using isboxer. I was browing the everquest subreddit when I saw mention of MQ2 and I remembered how I had a friend way back during OoW era who had a whole bot crew decked out in raid gear, he was infamous on our server among top guilds because he was a know hacker and had gotten kicked out of a few for it. Mattias or something was his name. Anyways, he promised he had changed or w/e and my GL gave him a shot and that's how I got to know him. I never had any intention of botting back then, but after I got into the workforce as a pseudo IT guy I found it fun to run bot programs and tweak them to how I wanted for certain games (d2 / d3 in particular). So I was curious about MQ2 and I looked into it. A google search had redguides come up and I decided to browse what I could. I ended up making my mind up about it and decided that if I'm going to play EQ for real again I don't want to learn classes to improve my main. I decided I'd give MQ2 a try since it seemed like it was a fairly common deal now and seemed pretty safe while fitting what I wanted for boxing. After trying it out, I really enjoyed it and got frustrated with mercs so upped my crew to a full group. Redguides has been great to me in that it has a ton of material that I was able to pick up how to use MQ2 and tune it to my own needs.

Also like Noobhaxor, I haven't paid for Redguides membership outside of the first month. My contributions mostly have been writeups / articles with some helpful posts here and there. Also have a solid ini that people like as effectively my sole "technical" contribution. If you can even call it that :p

I have really enjoyed my time in Everquest and RedGuides. I rarely get time to play now and when i do I'm stuck loading Ark survival up... I know I'll have a return when i fancy playing it as i get that nostalgia. I don't derive the same amount of fun though as some of my best times were playing legitimately and racing for bosses and such. NToV ring event, Seru, Quarm... So fun.
If i do return I'm going to have to start fresh as each time i leave i sell up!
And i always go back to AB ... I think i need to change things up and join some fellow reds...

Lastly, i remember my little gnome pally having a PoT drop at level 6 with the trade nodrops hack... (Container in container)

I still do in here​ but because i don't play, i don't get involved much... So thanks for this post!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have really enjoyed my time in Everquest and RedGuides. I rarely get time to play now and when i do I'm stuck loading Ark survival up... I know I'll have a return when i fancy playing it as i get that nostalgia. I don't derive the same amount of fun though as some of my best times were playing legitimately and racing for bosses and such. NToV ring event, Seru, Quarm... So fun.
If i do return I'm going to have to start fresh as each time i leave i sell up!
And i always go back to AB ... I think i need to change things up and join some fellow reds...

Lastly, i remember my little gnome pally having a PoT drop at level 6 with the trade nodrops hack... (Container in container)

I still do in here​ but because i don't play, i don't get involved much... So thanks for this post!

Man, I wish I would of sold my chars when I quit last. I have too many and it is driving me crazy... I have like 6 or so chars on Drinal... like 10 on Erollisi and various others scattered around. Hell Someone donated a Krono to me and I was going to create a char on their server... already had one there lol.

I also find the most enjoyment starting over from scratch. It seems to make the game much more fun for me.

I've always wanted an absolute corker of a character but i don't have it in me to raid... When it gets to that point, i just want to be able to handle myself... Was looking at maybe going the monk route again but solo... Dunno if i have the patience to set up inis and run a group again...

and I was going to create a char on their server... already had one there

Can't tell you how many times I do this. I guess I went around making toons on every server 10-15 years ago? Pro tip: check their title bar you sometimes get a surprise since the servers merged. :toot:

Oh man, so many memories. I started with Kunkark after a friend I was playing Counter-Strike with started telling me about it. First character was a human necromancer. Splitting treants in south karana using fear and snare was a huge thrill. This was when you could fear other players during a duel as well. I used fear for so many things it's how I got the surname of Fearbringer. My first foray into botting was when I wrote a control script for a program called Xylobot. I wrote a few other things for it as well, mainly afk farmers for people. Someone told me about how mq2 would be more powerful for what I was doing so I started looking into it. I came across someone named Cronic that had the best plugins for warp and a few other neat things. After I lost my business I started farming plat to make ends meet. At one point I had around 5 full groups on different servers farming items and plat. Eventually SoE cracked down on warping and that got all of my characters banned. I took a break after that but couldn't stay away too long. I came back and discovered RedGuides. Wrote some plugins, met some people, had some fun. I made a lot of characters and sold them off for extra cash here and eventually decided to take a break. New job, home problems that included my almost 19 year old son passing away suddenly, and a general lack of interest led to the break. I was telling my other son about some of the cool old school things like failed attempts to break plane of fear, plane of water pbae raid mechanics, and pulling failed raids out of the throne room of chardok. He's a big skyrim/elder scrolls online fan. After talking to him about some of the good memories I had I decided to play a bit. So here I am, again. :toot:

Discussion - My Introduction to MacroQuest 2 and the world of possibilities...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back