• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Multiple instances of EQ and MQ (1 Viewer)

Warrene

RedCents
20¢
I searched around for an hour and didn't come up with a useful answer, so here goes:

Ignoring the hardware requirements, can both EQ and MQ be run in simultaneous sessions on the same system? Re-stated, can I have two EQ/MQ pairs running on the same box with tripping over each other?

I'm pretty sure the EQ answer is yes...something along the line of installing a 2nd copy of EQ to a different folder and launching the second copy from that different folder.

Is the same true for MQ? Seems that it might not know which EQ session to glom onto...but I'm not looking to design a solution, just determine if others have done this successful. I only have room in my gaming cubbyhole for two systems, but I'd like to get a total of three accounts running so I can tackle harder content when the guildies aren't on (...which is almost all the time *sigh*...).

Anyway, all opinions are welcome. If I've overlooked a good guide on the topic, shame on me and point the way.

bisbalense said:
You only need one version of MQ running, it will load istelf onto however many instance of EQ you are running on your pc.

Sounds promising. Since it's a single instance of MQ, are the plugins shared? Can a separate macro be running in each EQ instance?

I don't have the actual accounts yet, but will fire them up as soon as I have a reasonable handle on the administrative issues and/or limitations.

Warrene said:
Sounds promising. Since it's a single instance of MQ, are the plugins shared? Can a separate macro be running in each EQ instance?

Plugins are loaded on all EQ instances based on your marcoquest.ini file when you first fire up macroquest. If you have two or more instance of EQ up and want to load a new plugin, you will have to load it up on each instance that you want the plugin on.

Each EQ instance will run its own macro that does not effect other EQ instances (unless that is what it is designed to do).

Plain and simple, no gotchas. I like it!!

Thanks for the quick responses. My memory and video upgrades are due to arrive this weekend, so I'll give it a shot.

My sole account has 65 cleric/ranger/chanter, 70 monk, 75 warrior, 51 shammy/pally. I'm embarressed to group any of them except the warrior (...advtask has MAJOR drawbacks in toon development...), but they'll happily embarress each other with no one to blame besides me. Now to decide how best to deploy them across three accounts...

Hey, theres no need for a second eq1 folder, just rerun the patcher, the only thing that can't be runing at same time is the patcher so just wait after u login then start patcher again, i box on same pc all the time, just mnk to /stick and kite shit all day, he's my little pet

go download WinEQ from Lavish and run multiple instances of EQ with that. I can run 3 instances of EQ on a 566 mhz processor 512 mb ram a 256 mb nvidia geforce card.. im sure your computer can do alot more then that !

Edit* You can also change

F:\EverQuest\Everquest.exe
to
F:\EverQuest\Eqgame.exe "patchme

and that will bypass the patcher, BUT you have to do this in a shortcut

Soes, that must take forever to load 3 instances on that computer. :)

I can do 2 instances on a similar setup, but 2nd instance is not good for much just leeching.

However, you can run 4 instances on a computer with 2gigs of RAM easy with no swapping. CPU speed is not that important just need enough RAM and also video RAM on your video card. I can run 5th instance sometimes, but with 256mb video card I will often get out of video memory messages.

But yeah WinEQ (created by creator of MQ) is a must, Sony's window handling leaves much to be desired still.

>>WinEQ2<<

Also with reguards to running multiple EQ sessions on one computer with MQ.

Lets say you want active hacks on one toon but no others ect. You can make config files that run a set of commands when a certain toon logs in.

So lets say you got ghostkill, you only wanna use it on one toon. You would make a file that looks like this and place it in your MQ directory.

servername_toonname.cfg

saryrn_john.cfg
Rich (BB code):
/plugin mq2ghostkill
/plugin mq2docrack
/speed 1.5
/docrack envirofall on
/plugin mq2piggyzone unload
/mac docrack

Obviously I was just showing you what commands you can run with this file. You can load and unload plugins, set variables like speed ect. And even run a macro as soon as you login i.e. /mac docrack is my macro that turns on all the docracks I want on while I play.

docrack.mac
Rich (BB code):
Sub Main
/docrack afewmountskills on
/docrack eb on
/docrack envirofall on
/docrack envirofall2 on
/docrack hiderun on
/docrack lavafisheyes on
/docrack noaccel on
/docrack noblind on
/docrack noencumber on
/docrack nomeleepush on
/docrack nostun2 on
/docrack noweather on
/docrack openbags on
/docrack openinventory on
/docrack seeinvis on
/docrack showspells on
/docrack showspells2 on
/docrack swapwhilecasting on
/docrack preventspeed on
/end

Hope that helps with your configuring how you want to set up your toons.

playj said:
Soes, that must take forever to load 3 instances on that computer. :)

I can do 2 instances on a similar setup, but 2nd instance is not good for much just leeching.

However, you can run 4 instances on a computer with 2gigs of RAM easy with no swapping. CPU speed is not that important just need enough RAM and also video RAM on your video card. I can run 5th instance sometimes, but with 256mb video card I will often get out of video memory messages.

But yeah WinEQ (created by creator of MQ) is a must, Sony's window handling leaves much to be desired still.

Its kinda slow but all honesty its not as bad as you would think, i have tweaked some stuff and it runs half decent in older world zones and non populated areas. But with the newer stuff i can barely run 1 instance :(

Multiple instances of EQ and MQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back