• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Multiboxing (multiple monitors, multiple computers) (1 Viewer)

RedCents
611¢
Hello everyone,

I am a long time EQ player and have been multiboxing since the dialup days (☎). I enjoy the flexibility of having multiple characters to play, especially since it helps fill in those times when everyone else is offline. I have grown to 4 boxxing (actively managing them myself) and sometimes augment with filler to grab raids and such (thank you EQ for F2P, works great for these one offs). Boxxing that many definitely takes its toll on you, so I have been looking into ways to make it a bit less stressful (even setting up awesome buttons does only so much to alleviate some of it). I began looking for ideas to help with that. Eventually, I ran across RedGuides while reading various guides (including Almar's) and it is intriguing. I have been a bit trepid about it, given the dark history of MQ. Granted, that is more an issue of people misusing the software to do stupid things.

Currently, I have several computers running EQ and many monitors. My main has a ton of monitors (different aspect ratios). I use ISBoxer for window management on this one, but it is restricted to the monitor groups of the same resolution because the UI gets all jacked up. I really like being able to view full screen to see 👀 what is going on with all of the toons. The instant window swapping is great too and the mouse over to focus window (this one is a little buggy). I tried to do some hot keys in ISBoxer, but I never could really get going at it. I watched some great videos, including the unlimited virtualization + / commands, + ATGs etc which sounds great, if you could get it working (they provided a template, but something was not quite working). Even if I could get it working, you had to come up with ways of key combos (or click buttons) to activate sequences of actions (and of course, EQ, Windows, and other programs have many key shortcuts you have to work around). I love the window management aspect (mostly, sometimes Windows shifts something a few pixels and 💥) of ISBoxer, it just needs a macro system with some logic 🧠 (as useful as products such as Nostromo n52 and other macro pads/programmable keys are, they are "dumb").

I watched the Multiboxing EverQuest: The Red Guide playlist and have read the Newbie Guide for MQ2 [ Meghnad ] and it looks great. I also ran across interesting videos by Doctor Nachoz. At this point, I looking into what this could do to help me. Some questions I am trying to figure the answers to:

• MQBC server appears to work with multiple computers (configurable IP address)?
  • How well does MQ2/Red Guides work with multiple monitors (with and without ISBoxer)? (not interested in the mini viewer for all boxes)?
  • KissAssist/EQMule look like they are pretty configurable with the heal/debuff/damage etc priorities. Is there a way to manually say execute burn mode and have it go through whatever is configured for burn for each?
  • EQMule has a drag and drop button feature, does that include any custom hot keys you created? Or do they need to be raw EQ defined ones because hot keys can contain a variety of actions and pauses?
  • Extendibility of KissAssist/EQMule with "plugins" (not sure if that is the correct term, but addons for these existing macros)?

Any other good videos or threads that I should take a look at?

Some of my goals: auto follow that works (mesh), automate overseer (what a pain in the ass 🌑 on multiple accounts every day), let me focus on 1 or 2 characters, flexibility with one or multiple computers, increase boxxing to a full group because mercs suck 🤬 , make quest getting and finishing less clunky, other QoL stuff....

Thank you in advance for your input and help!

P.S. Let's get some more emojis!! 🦕

howdy insane pawn, welcome to RedGuides!

- eqbc - yup it uses a server, so you can connect multiple PCs to it - there is also mq2dannet which is a p2p serverless method of communication which has some powerful things like observers and queries

- isboxer - i use isboxer, but i personally don't find the need to view my other toons, but many folks do and it works well. with things like eqwire or the brand new framelimiter - you can save an incredible amount of computer load by "not drawing" those toons you don't want to see - which allows you to have some SERIOUSLY amazing performance and allows you to run way more toons on 1 pc than you'd expect.

- yes both kissassist and muleassist have a "burn" section in their configuration that allow you to setup, or you can use conditions to set up "burn abilities" in the dps/heal sections

- you'll end up wanting to make some custom hotkeys anyway you slice it, I have a hotkey guide in my sig for a bunch that i use regularly

- most automation suites are independent - like kissassist or muleassist can do pretty much all of their own stuff. same thing with the cwtn plugins - they are plugins that are automation suites, but they don't rely on another macro or anything, they are free standing. you might be thinking of just *other* plugins that handle specific things, like mq2rez for rez accepting or mq2autoaccept for accepting things. (have several videos about things like that also)

- mq2advpath has "afollow" which tries to record a path and has your other characters follow it - but most automation suites have some form of "chase mode" built-in and that would likely use mq2nav - which is an absolute "can't live without". I have another video of "how i move my toons around" where i demonstrate that with cwtn plugins and kissassist.

I would strongly encourage you to look at MacroQuest "Next" as opposed to MacroQuest2 - soon :tm: the version that we offer here at redguides will primarily be MacroQuest "Next". since you mentioned muleassist, I would want to point out that eqmule hasn't ported muleassist over, but there is a Lua alternative MAUI

• MQBC server appears to work with multiple computers (configurable IP address)?
  • How well does MQ2/Red Guides work with multiple monitors (with and without ISBoxer)? (not interested in the mini viewer for all boxes)?
  • KissAssist/EQMule look like they are pretty configurable with the heal/debuff/damage etc priorities. Is there a way to manually say execute burn mode and have it go through whatever is configured for burn for each?
  • EQMule has a drag and drop button feature, does that include any custom hot keys you created? Or do they need to be raw EQ defined ones because hot keys can contain a variety of actions and pauses?
  • Extendibility of KissAssist/EQMule with "plugins" (not sure if that is the correct term, but addons for these existing macros)?

Any other good videos or threads that I should take a look at?

Some of my goals: auto follow that works (mesh), automate overseer (what a pain in the ass 🌑 on multiple accounts every day), let me focus on 1 or 2 characters, flexibility with one or multiple computers, increase boxxing to a full group because mercs suck 🤬 , make quest getting and finishing less clunky, other QoL stuff....

Thank you in advance for your input and help!
Sic answered alot, but here.

Hit youtube and look up Sic watch his vids, the man is a mad house on making quality explanation vids.

DL and install mq2Next then:

DL/install then run it.
Install a Server. i have it run on secondary computer. Get that computers IP and put it in the server IP slot then click install and start.
on other PCs run it and put the first computers IP int he slot and install/start
in game /bccmd connect (the IP you put in as server) 2112

i have 4 computers and up to 30 accounts connected this way.

for the monitors i run 8 monitors, and RG has no issue, it has no care about where the accounts on monitors are jus the computers

theres a patch for next for nav utils that adds 3 buttons to your group window, come to me, follow me, mimic me.
The mimic me function is supurb for quests. all the accounts mimic the action and /says of the main one.

would look into CWTN plugins for out of the box playability

I would suggest starting with the basic Red guides INI files in the library section and try them out. You will see how it works on your platforms as well as you will get a quick feel for what Red Guides can do.

Its pretty straight forward when it comes to editing the INI files

@insane_pawn I've gone ahead and gifted you a month of level 2. Looks like you've been enrolled with redguides since 2019, which is a long time to think about it and not take the plunge. With that said I took the plunge for you, and now you just need to follow thru and download / install it / use it. That gives you a month to try it all out without making any commitments.

Hi Insane Pawn
I started exactly the same as you. A Little reluctant to jump in - Boxing without automation was difficult but still rewarding.

I use 3 PC's and ISBOXER to handle all the Window Layout (Currently using 5 monitors on the 3 PC's all of different Sizes and Shapes from 4096*2160 to 1920*1080 or 3440 *2160) I dont have any issues with ISBoxer and Different Aspect Ratios. ISBoxer handles that perfectly.

I started with EQBCS...and moved to EQBCS2 for more stability...but recently made the transition to DANNET. I can now recommend the DANNET as the go to Communication method. Read about it, and try it. If you have questions about it - just post the question on the Forum.

Everything that you posted that you want to do - IS available but so much more.

I started Boxing my 6...and before I knew it - I was boxing 54.

Thanks everyone for your tips and comments. I look forward to exploring this even further :)

The limitation I found with ISBoxer and mixing different resolutions, is that UI would get all messed up when I switch a character to the "main" screen. I have fiddled with window layouts for years to try to solve that and basically just said ok, I will only use 2 monitors of identical resolution and setup layouts so the UI doesn't get all messed. But I am getting ahead of myself. I need to get my feet wet first, before I explore the multiple monitor handling.

Last edited:
This might be a little off topic.

But a quick question: Isn't the ISBOXER more detectable to the GM 's than Red Guides INI files when using it ?

I have heard people getting banned for using that, although never tried it myself yet

This might be a little off topic.

But a quick question: Isn't the ISBOXER more detectable to the GM 's than Red Guides INI files when using it ?

I have heard people getting banned for using that, although never tried it myself yet
ISboxer is allowed now, it was a bannable useage like 5 yrs ago but last year the even patched a TLP to allow its usage

The limitation I found with ISBoxer and mixing different resolutions, is that UI would get all messed up when I switch a character to the "main" screen. I have fiddled with window layouts for years to try to solve that and basically just said ok, I will only use 2 monitors of identical resolution and setup layouts so the UI doesn't get all messed. But I am getting ahead of myself. I need to get my feet wet first, before I explore the multiple monitor handling.

There is a setting in the Window Layout that allows you to easily use different resolutions. Something about maintaining aspect ratio.

The trick is - you need to setup your UI from the "Main Screen" resolution. ie my Main screen is 4096*2160, so setup the UI for each toon to be able to be that resolution.

here is an old example:
region 1 is 4096 *2160

The other regions are placed in accordance with what the toons are. ie: 2,7,19,8 are all tanks.

I was using memory muscle to associate each region with what I was doing and swapping quickly when required.
1635627281035.png

also note: ISBOXER allows you to have a virtual eqclient.ini for each toon.
so you can setup different graphics settings for each toon.

There is a setting in the Window Layout that allows you to easily use different resolutions. Something about maintaining aspect ratio.

The trick is - you need to setup your UI from the "Main Screen" resolution. ie my Main screen is 4096*2160, so setup the UI for each toon to be able to be that resolution.

here is an old example:
region 1 is 4096 *2160

The other regions are placed in accordance with what the toons are. ie: 2,7,19,8 are all tanks.

I was using memory muscle to associate each region with what I was doing and swapping quickly when required.
View attachment 34618

also note: ISBOXER allows you to have a virtual eqclient.ini for each toon.
so you can setup different graphics settings for each toon.

I did have a config using different resolutions than the main monitor. It would "squish" the UI to fit, and depending on aspect ratio, could be pretty bad. But it would look ok when brought to the main monitor. I think some of it is just EverQuest doesn't like you resizing windows. ISBoxer fundamentally maintains the resolution (squishing on smaller screens) so you can swap it to the main screen. No perfect solution. You make do with what works for your preference.

Working my way through the playlist, focusing purely on the setup shown there (no ISboxer yet). I ran into some quirks. It seems the Cycle Backward option does not work. Cycle Forward works great, although somewhat annoying you can't leave your finger on one key and press the 2nd one to do +1. Also looks like the shortcut key to focus a window, only works for the 1st one, pressing the key combos for others are ignored. And so far, "unload all" does nothing (supposed to log everyone out?).

So far so good. Got eqbc running on a separate box. Everything connects (when I configure it...). Weird quirk, I created a 2nd profile to load some accounts/characters for the first time, but it tried to connect to 127.0.0.1 even though this was the first time they were ever used. ⁉

Overseer is working pretty damn well 👍 . Kudos. I look forward to the (hopefully) collect reward update. One minor wish for this is to have a list of grades to use for recruitment quests. Some accounts I will never bother with an easy recruitment quest. I rather get a reward.

Watched a great video by Sic ( MQ2Grind ). Something to look at in the future. Looks really handy for those grinds. Very frustrating seeing the amount of AA now and you know, life...

I messed around with some basics. Soon, I should be able to try out some of the combat things. I don't mind using advanced loot in EQ. I saw several loot assists out there. I am not sure which, if any, I would use. Obviously, if running more than one group, more help would be needed.

I don't suppose there is configurability with these buttons showing in the group window? I would definitely prefer having a separate window or use one of the many hotbars.

1635867031442.png

I don't suppose there is configurability with these buttons showing in the group window? I would definitely prefer having a separate window or use one of the many hotbars.

View attachment 34674

In regards to the buttons in the group window. I don't really care for them. The plugin in question for the current live build you're using is MQ2Targetinfo. https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2targetinfo.191/

That link should provide you with commands to show/hide buttons as you like for the most part if I recall correctly. Personally I don't use the plugin at all. So it's a matter of personal preference which route you want to take.

As far as the buttons themselves they use a mixture of options to make them work. Regarding "Come to me" there are a few ways to make hotkeys to do what it does hitting that button. /bcg //nav id ${Me.ID} as a hotkey would tell everyone you're currently grouped with to attempt to navigate to your current location. For the Mimic Me and Follow Me buttons, it's a bit more complicated to explain. For Follow me you could try to use /bcg //stick id ${Me.ID} as a hotkey, but this uses straight line distance. I think that hotkey uses MQ2AdvPath /afollow which is different from the normal ingame /follow command. Regarding Mimic Me, there's no easy way to have that one done that I'm aware of.

There isn't a way to "pop out" the window that I'm aware of sadly. But you can always just manually type things you want your group to do. Again, it's all a matter of preference for how you want to handle things.

In regards to the buttons in the group window. I don't really care for them. The plugin in question for the current live build you're using is MQ2Targetinfo. https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/mq2targetinfo.191/

That link should provide you with commands to show/hide buttons as you like for the most part if I recall correctly. Personally I don't use the plugin at all. So it's a matter of personal preference which route you want to take.

As far as the buttons themselves they use a mixture of options to make them work. Regarding "Come to me" there are a few ways to make hotkeys to do what it does hitting that button. /bcg //nav id ${Me.ID} as a hotkey would tell everyone you're currently grouped with to attempt to navigate to your current location. For the Mimic Me and Follow Me buttons, it's a bit more complicated to explain. For Follow me you could try to use /bcg //stick id ${Me.ID} as a hotkey, but this uses straight line distance. I think that hotkey uses MQ2AdvPath /afollow which is different from the normal ingame /follow command. Regarding Mimic Me, there's no easy way to have that one done that I'm aware of.

There isn't a way to "pop out" the window that I'm aware of sadly. But you can always just manually type things you want your group to do. Again, it's all a matter of preference for how you want to handle things.

Awesome. That helped when searching using different keywords than what I was trying to use originally (🙃Whoops, just noticed you had the link to the same page, I could have saved myself some trouble). I think I found the commands -- MQ2TargetInfo.

1635949035521.png

Two buttons show different code options (w/out needing to use the /groupinfoversion):
Come to me:
/bcg //nav id ${Me.ID}

Follow me:
/bcg //afollow spawn ${Me.ID}

Question - Multiboxing (multiple monitors, multiple computers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back