• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Plugin - MQ2Nav - "Could not locate starting point on navmesh" (1 Viewer)

RedCents
455¢
1691182011221.png

This is happening to me in a lot of ToV zones (and elsewhere). Is there anything I can do to prevent or reduce how often it happens?

I'm using the default meshes for all my zones. It's certainly not good if the default settings get errors, right?

Solution
This has been almost entirely, if not entirely, fixed by not using Levitate. My druid was buffing the group with Flight of Eagles (previously) or Flight of Falcons (more recently) and I think that the levitate component was causing the problem. It hasn't happened once, that I can recall, since I stopped using levitate on my group. I'm not 100% positive this was what was causing the problem but I haven't had the issue since.

I also have been spending a lot of time underwater in Cobalt Scar and needed to drop levitate so we wouldn't float to the top, which also was happening. Stopping the use of levitation spells may have been what resolved this issue for me.
View attachment 50159

This is happening to me in a lot of ToV zones (and elsewhere). Is there anything I can do to prevent or reduce how often it happens?

I'm using the default meshes for all my zones. It's certainly not good if the default settings get errors, right?

I try removing Lev first, then moving toward a flat or more open spot in the geometry. If you're planning on being in that area a lot then it pays to make your own mesh and add connections.

View attachment 50159

Saying where you are (what zone and where you are) is pretty important here.

Otherwise the answer is "you can't get there from here"

It was happening at the Cadcane, Coldears, and Bolman camps in Eastern Wastes. It was also happening at the Longshanks camp in Great Divide. More recently it happened a couple of times in Skyfire at the Gatekeeper camp, near Gorowyn.

I can maybe go back and get locs if you think that would help.

Last edited:
I try removing Lev first, then moving toward a flat or more open spot in the geometry. If you're planning on being in that area a lot then it pays to make your own mesh and add connections.
I was thinking it might be related to Lev so I tried restarting as Puller without Lev up. I don't recall how that worked out as I frequently restart in order to implement changes to settings in the .ini file.

I also usually find as flat an area to camp at in hopes that it might help. I'm wondering if it might also be related to my pet as I often target him when I restart as Puller. He's usually levitated so if it's using his loc as a starting point then that may also be a factor. I'll keep watching to see if any of the changes that I make helps.

I also need to relearn to make custom meshes. I've done it before a few years back but haven't in quite a while and forgot how.

I was thinking it might be related to Lev so I tried restarting as Puller without Lev up. I don't recall how that worked out as I frequently restart in order to implement changes to settings in the .ini file.

I also usually find as flat an area to camp at in hopes that it might help. I'm wondering if it might also be related to my pet as I often target him when I restart as Puller. He's usually levitated so if it's using his loc as a starting point then that may also be a factor. I'll keep watching to see if any of the changes that I make helps.

I also need to relearn to make custom meshes. I've done it before a few years back but haven't in quite a while and forgot how.
One other thing I noticed is that it often starts when my toon backs up. Usually, she spins 180 deg and then runs back for the camp, but if I see her back up that's when it happens. She'll start backing up, strafes sideways to the left, and it gets worse as she attempts to avoid the mob she's pulled. I have to issue a "/nav stop" or she becomes uncontrollable.

It doesn't seem to, but I'm still levitated a lot from our druid. I'd have to watch more closely specific to that.

I'm also wondering if it may be related to a couple of settings that start to sidestep my puller when there's no LoS or if being attacked and attempting to back off. I've seen it start several times after I've pulled and then been cast on by the mob I'm attempting to pull.

One time it started and I (automatically) sidestepped behind a pillar where I had no LoS to the mob and it stopped. No need to avoid and therefore no more sidestepping?

Last edited:
This has been almost entirely, if not entirely, fixed by not using Levitate. My druid was buffing the group with Flight of Eagles (previously) or Flight of Falcons (more recently) and I think that the levitate component was causing the problem. It hasn't happened once, that I can recall, since I stopped using levitate on my group. I'm not 100% positive this was what was causing the problem but I haven't had the issue since.

I also have been spending a lot of time underwater in Cobalt Scar and needed to drop levitate so we wouldn't float to the top, which also was happening. Stopping the use of levitation spells may have been what resolved this issue for me.

Solution
That tracks. MQ2Nav uses meshes are not 3 dimensional in that if you're above the mesh only a little bit it will relate your characters position to the location on the mesh directly below it. To far above the mesh will cause nav to be uncertain wtf you're doing or where you are exactly, so it's unable to find a "startpoint" from which to calculate a route from your current position to a desired position. I don't use levitate, pretty much just block any levitation cast on me anytime someone finds a new way to take me away from my beloved mesh.

Plugin - MQ2Nav - "Could not locate starting point on navmesh"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back