• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

MQ2 Privacy and Progression - How far will you go? (1 Viewer)

Relentless

RedCents
31¢
Hey guys, I know that lots of you have been playing EQ for much longer than myself. Therefore I value your valuable insight. Thanks to MQ2 and NotAddicted and talented coders like Maskoi we are truly blessed beyond your average casual EQ player.

The things we can do, the advantages we have, and overall it brings way more enjoyment being able to do so many interesting and diverse things.

But how much do we really value our privacy?
So much that we tend to avoid others permanently?
So much that we keep ourselves /anonymous at all times?
So much that we cannot join a guild?
What about so much that we can even be in cutting edge progression guilds, without them noticing?

Just were do we draw the line on exactly how much we can stretch until we break our luck? Our curse is both a blessing and a burden.

Do you constantly look over your shoulder, and worry?
Maybe you think I'm crazy, and don't worry at all.

Either way, I guess my point of writing this is where do we draw the line?
How long and how far can we take things without other people noticing us?

So for you ladies and gentlemen, share your experiences below. Some relevant sample questions for the topic listed beneath.
1) Do you raid and use MQ2?
2) What is your progression like, and how far do you go to hide your MQ2 use from your guild/friends/server members?

So for you ladies and gentlemen, share your experiences below. Some relevant sample questions for the topic listed beneath.
2) What is your progression like, and how far do you go to hide your MQ2 use from your guild/friends/server members?
[/B][/SIZE]

1: Yes, I raided and used MQ2... Actually I 5 boxed with MQ2 during raids.... and my friend used mq2 on the one out of the group that he played.

2: I tended not to worry all that much, but then when I worked on 100% afk macros I tried to make them look as real as possible, put myself /afk with a message that i was in a bad mood or something and not to bother me.

I like my privacy :)

I dont avoid others permanently because I use MQ2 but because there are too many newbs and idiots out there. People can befriend me and make it into my inner circle of people who I trust with what I am able to do.

I use /role most of the time just so I dont get bothered for buffs and such.

Nope. Although My alts exist in a guild for myself and my inner circle friends. Mostly it's used as a place to keep alts out of the guild eye until they're ready and as a place to stash tradeskill items.

What about so much that we can even be in cutting edge progression guilds, without them noticing?

I exist in a high end guild but I hang with my friends when possible. I try not do to things which would be a dead giveaway to me using MQ2 like warps, summoning corpses across the zone, etc...

Just were do we draw the line on exactly how much we can stretch until we break our luck? Our curse is both a blessing and a burden.

The only time you really need to be careful is when using warps (because if players catch you they will report you and GMs may decide to keep an eye on you). Unless you are using server-side affecting things like the infamous no delay which there seem to be setups to prevent people from exploiting such things.

No I dont but I do use some care when engaging in warps which is about the only thing your regular player will notice as a hack.

I would avoid using things which people have been getting banned for. Like Fartaunt or GK. You can take things pretty far as long as you have gullible people around. Most people only notice extremely blatant things which warps are the most blatant and noticable to people who arent even familiar with MQ2.

Sometimes. I mostly use MQ2Melee to automate a few things so i'm not sitting there mashing kick and such.

I'm not raiding at the moment but I've been included in T2/T3 HOT raids. Basically if you dont use warps infront of peopel your guild/server wont notice. If your friends are your friends you can usually trust them with your secrets. I have a small group of people I trust which I dont need to keep secrets from and wont mind me using it to speed things up like wipe recoveries.

The key thing is warps. Warps are something even the stupidest player can spot and call you on. Always look before you jump if people are in the zone and you'll never get into any real touble.

It is what it is

nope I got a lot of friends I play with every day.

I never have anon on.

I am in a Top 10 raiding guild.

I dont do much with mq2 other then kissassist for the most part

like I siad I dont do to much with MQ2

I got nothing to worry about at all. but I still keep a eye out non the less.

I dont know. I just know what I do and I dont do.

MQ2 has been around for a long tine. As long as you are not a fool every thing is fine.

Good replies so far, I wanted to create the topic to be thought provoking and invoke conversation that we can all relate to - looks to be heading right in that direction.

oh I also dont use mq2 when on a raid or any thing with my guild...its only for when I am boxing. no need to make the game so easy that I dont need to be there any more :P

There are two things I think the average player will obviously notice: warping in front of them and that little sputtering half-circle that melee macros use to get behind the mob on engage. The rest of it is pretty easy to keep under the radar if you're role/anon. Just be smart - don't beeline for named if you're not boxing a tracker, etc.

I really don't care what people think, I largely keep to myself or my guild. I don't do anything that disrupts someone else's game experience blatantly, but I do warp and /zone like it's no ones business. The only time I won't warp, is if there is someone in LOS of where I'm warping to.

I'm not concerned about a ban, I've never even been talked to by a GM for doing anything bad, so since I'm not griefing anyone, I'm most likely not going to be banned straight away. If I zoned into say, ToV and vulaak was up, and someone was obviously working towards spawning him, I won't just warp around and kill everything myself, I'll just leave and come back some other time.

Just be smart and you'll be fine.

oh I also dont use mq2 when on a raid or any thing with my guild...its only for when I am boxing. no need to make the game so easy that I dont need to be there any more :P

Heh, I did that! The main thing I loved to do was make macros. So i made macros for every different zone & camp that I could AFK. This was done so I wasn't always in the same spot every time since I ran it before I went to work and while I slept...

I really don't care what people think, I largely keep to myself or my guild. I don't do anything that disrupts someone else's game experience blatantly, but I do warp and /zone like it's no ones business. The only time I won't warp, is if there is someone in LOS of where I'm warping to.

I'm not concerned about a ban, I've never even been talked to by a GM for doing anything bad, so since I'm not griefing anyone, I'm most likely not going to be banned straight away. If I zoned into say, ToV and vulaak was up, and someone was obviously working towards spawning him, I won't just warp around and kill everything myself, I'll just leave and come back some other time.

Just be smart and you'll be fine.

I've had accounts banned before with no warning or prior contact from GMs, and I wasn't griefing anyone or doing RMT or anything really bad along those lines. There's really no rhyme or reason to it sometimes.

Attachments

• kattacastrumdelugenamed.jpg
    kattacastrumdelugenamed.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 3
I agree with 100% of the posts so far.. and to ask my own question and point out a dumbass.. A bard_009 in top 7 guild on my server tells my new box ranger "Nice warping" when I warped to a corpse. Only after seeing her/him warp to it first. We were two of three people in said old skool raid zone. What's with rude hackers? I said, says the hacker, lol. I proceeded to compliment dumbass on their warping 30 seconds before and in other zones I've seen them in.

So I told this person I was going to send tells to every member of their guild that was online at this time, telling them I believe said bard is a hacker and they should look into it. I only sent about 6 tells explaining that this bard had warped to a mob I was about to loot and they should really look into the quality of people playing in their guild.

A couple questions for you, the average MQ user. Why the fuck would you be rude to a fellow MQer? 2. Calling someone out for warping is a dead giveaway especially if you just did it, so was I wrong to call them out and send tells? I think the fuckbug deserved it. Now.. that's not to say I've never gotten mad at a fellow MQer, if someone steals a named from me and is obviously not a tracker etc. beelines for my named I get pissy and train the fuc out of them or their group if they evade me. But hey.. it's a dog eat dog world I guess?

To answer your questions a little better, I am in the number 1 guild on the server, I don't MQ during raids but it sure helps being able to target anyone when RT doesn't work etc. or walls and shit are in the way and they aren't in my group or on ext.

I hide myself in instances a lot, but that's because selling TA's is so fun. or good exp for my bots/friends when the average mission can be done in 25 / 30 mins. MQing. That's not to say I don't do my fair share of 4 boxing in upper end zones because I do. I really wish mq2melee didn't have that semi-circle bullshit but what can you do. Some stuff is just really noticeable, and if people are rude to me I have no problem being rude back. If a friendly MQer wants to chat about stuff we go to vent or talk in a private channel. I still get weary about GM's so I speak in code, never revealing the name of MQ or even the initals, lol. "tricks are fun, kiss is amazing, new toys today"

That is all for now, beta is a bitch and I wish there was at least a vanilla mq map / boxing for it :( it's too bad it's updated so much that a MQ compile for it would be outdated the next day.. Anyway, wild fuc horses couldn't drag me away from using MQ. Call it automation dependence, I call it, FUN and EQ has never been more enjoyable. I probably would have quit ages ago if it weren't for MQ.

Not to derail this thread, I like this discussion. Just a comment to Infiniteye, edit your mq2melee.ini

Rich (BB code):
stickmode=1
stickcmd=options

stickcmd=12 moveback loose
or use behindonce

If you guys have problems like that be sure to ask. :D

I agree with 100% of the posts so far.. and to ask my own question and point out a dumbass.. A bard_009 in top 7 guild on my server tells my new box ranger "Nice warping" when I warped to a corpse. Only after seeing her/him warp to it first. We were two of three people in said old skool raid zone. What's with rude hackers? I said, says the hacker, lol. I proceeded to compliment dumbass on their warping 30 seconds before and in other zones I've seen them in.

So I told this person I was going to send tells to every member of their guild that was online at this time, telling them I believe said bard is a hacker and they should look into it. I only sent about 6 tells explaining that this bard had warped to a mob I was about to loot and they should really look into the quality of people playing in their guild.

A couple questions for you, the average MQ user. Why the fuck would you be rude to a fellow MQer? 2. Calling someone out for warping is a dead giveaway especially if you just did it, so was I wrong to call them out and send tells? I think the fuckbug deserved it. Now.. that's not to say I've never gotten mad at a fellow MQer, if someone steals a named from me and is obviously not a tracker etc. beelines for my named I get pissy and train the fuc out of them or their group if they evade me. But hey.. it's a dog eat dog world I guess?

To answer your questions a little better, I am in the number 1 guild on the server, I don't MQ during raids but it sure helps being able to target anyone when RT doesn't work etc. or walls and shit are in the way and they aren't in my group or on ext.

I hide myself in instances a lot, but that's because selling TA's is so fun. or good exp for my bots/friends when the average mission can be done in 25 / 30 mins. MQing. That's not to say I don't do my fair share of 4 boxing in upper end zones because I do. I really wish mq2melee didn't have that semi-circle bullshit but what can you do. Some stuff is just really noticeable, and if people are rude to me I have no problem being rude back. If a friendly MQer wants to chat about stuff we go to vent or talk in a private channel. I still get weary about GM's so I speak in code, never revealing the name of MQ or even the initals, lol. "tricks are fun, kiss is amazing, new toys today"

That is all for now, beta is a bitch and I wish there was at least a vanilla mq map / boxing for it :( it's too bad it's updated so much that a MQ compile for it would be outdated the next day.. Anyway, wild fuc horses couldn't drag me away from using MQ. Call it automation dependence, I call it, FUN and EQ has never been more enjoyable. I probably would have quit ages ago if it weren't for MQ.

My own personal philosophy about MQ2 in game

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

My own personal philosophy about MQ2 in game

Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler.

If I am AFK macro-ing I can't join a guild. Simple as that, because in the past someone always asks... "Hey, what is playername always doing in the X Zone?"

Then I gotta reply, I love it out here! I swear one of the times I was banned, was because a guildie turned me in. Trust no one!

If I am AFK macro-ing I can't join a guild. Simple as that, because in the past someone always asks... "Hey, what is playername always doing in the X Zone?"

Then I gotta reply, I love it out here! I swear one of the times I was banned, was because a guildie turned me in. Trust no one!

Figured i would drop my two cents in here. I use MQ2 for a few reasons, as previously posted i dont like to sit and mash kick and taunt and discs on the warrior there for moveutils and melee is god for that. I group with a small number of people who all use as well. Look before you warp and don't talk about fight club sums it up. I never afk macro except cskillup and im usually in a zone no one ever bothers to investigate. I also like to hide in instances for the exp its nice not having to look over your shoulder. I tried a raiding guild and left for personal reasons was using mq2melee and the main tank got pissed i kept pulling agro. ( i assumed a raid geared toon would hold agro off my gimpy 3k aa warrior but apparently not) My non using friends have either never noticed or never said anything. It comes down to the people you know and ultimately what your friends have gotten out of you using. I can flag a friend for hot in a day and have done it quite a few times for several of my friends using and non using. What it comes down to is will they bite the hand that feeds them?
Do i look over my shoulder? not really but i would say im pretty much a small time player. 3 accounts and 3 mercs. Chanter slows and sits back necro is casting spells but i have most people convinced it hit a hot key and it /cast spell /pause 10 so on so forth which isnt against the rules and they assume im focused on warrior. I never really run for named but with my gear being as good as it will get without joining a true raiding guild i have no reason to hunt named. All in alll im just repeating what most of you have said. MQ2 is something i have gotten entirely too use to playing with and its something i will continue to use regardless of where i get to in this game. As Maskoi put it, you don't talk about fight club period. As for being rude to other MQ2'ers ive seen people warp in. i've seen people use forms of ghost kill and using paranoid seen them fading in and out of zone. I keep to myself. Why call someone else out it just makes it more obvious that you yourself are using. When i do group with other MQ2'ers we use skype to talk we just dont type in the game to each other makes it a lot less likely to screw up.

Just my 2 cents

~Toneman

MQ2 Privacy and Progression - How far will you go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back